Private group interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What questions would you ask specifically of a "SDG" when interviewing for a position.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Pre and post partnership compensation?
2) Length and requirements of partnership tract?
3) Within past 5 years how many prepartners have there been and what percentage made partner?
4) Is partnership equal amongst all partners and truly democratic?
5) What has led to the stability of the contract?
6) Biggest challenges the group faces?

Reactions: 7 users
That isn’t the inevitable outcome. You also aren’t going to get anywhere with that question.

The most informative questions are the ones you can never ask but need to figure out anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
That isn’t the inevitable outcome. You also aren’t going to get anywhere with that question.
Phrased like that, no. But getting at the essence of that question is important. Might not get a 100% truthful answer, but asking something along the lines of is not a bad idea:

Has there been any talk of a buy out?
What are the chances the hospital chooses to switch to an employee model in the next 5 years?

You might not get a super truthful answer. But you might get a sense from nonverbal cues from some of the folks.

Reactions: 5 users
The most informative questions are the ones you can never ask but need to figure out anyway.
Phrased like that, no. But getting at the essence of that question is important. Might not get a 100% truthful answer, but asking something along the lines of is not a bad idea:

What are the chances the hospital chooses to switch to an employee model in the next 5 years?

You might not get a super truthful answer. But you might get a sense from nonverbal cues from some of the folks.
I think it’s incredibly important to find out about the stability of a SDG. The best way is to know someone in the group such as a former residency alum that will speak honestly to you privately. If you’re asking interview questions to someone you don’t know then the best way to phrase is to focus on the positive such as asking what has allowed your SDG to thrive and maintain the contract? A group should be able to tell you how they have impressed the hospital and become an invaluable asset to them. Tentacles spread into hospital leadership even better.

Reactions: 2 users

I’m not EM but I did interview with a group and when I asked them if they had been approached by private equity they said

“Yes all the time, and we hear them out. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you and there is always the risk you’ll get screwed. We have a lot of young docs and they would have to pay us way more than we’ve ever been offered otherwise it would never be worth it to us who plan to stick around another two decades.”

I figured that was about the least of a red flag answer anyone could have asked for tbh. Like you said I feel like the real red flag would be if they lied to your face.

Reactions: 4 users
What is the sweat equity?

How many people did not become a partner after their sweat equity?

How long is your hospitals contract? When was it last renewed?

What functions does the group contract out to other companies?
This question helped me in the northeast, small group-they stated “envision “helps us with advertising and recruiting”
2 years later I find out they sold out to envision. They were asking for 3 years sweat equity

Reactions: 1 user
What is the sweat equity?
I wouldn’t ask that question (with that phrasing), because I don’t know what it means. And if you ask an imprecise but extraordinarily important question, you’re likely to get a garbage answer.

Rather ask for the length of and pay during the partnership tract, as well as if there is a monetary buy-in. Then, using whatever comparison position you have available, you can calculate your own personal buy-in. Then, by weighing the chance of getting partnership, the chance of the group selling or dissolving (either before or after you make partner, the former being far worse financially but both being negatives), as well as the predicted partner salary and the desirability of the position, you can make the determination whether it’s worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of important stuff to ask. My 2 cents. No question is off limits. That being said asking in a professional manner matters.

Most of the sdgs who are gonna sell have sold. App and envision aren’t buying. Only usacs is still buying up practices. Teamhealth also carefully in the market but often 30-40% below market so few groups have sold to them.

Very few buyers in the market right now.

This. I started July 1st with an SDG I already knew and got the phone call last month that they were selling out November 1st. Going from W-2 to a 1099 and all that entails. At least its a smaller CMG that spun off from ApolloMD.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Correct.

That is not a question you can directly ask; or at least ask and expect a meaningful answer.

But you can pick up hints: Do they spontaneously and passionately talk about the evils or CMG's, private equity, and hospital employment? That tells you something. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it is a data point.

On the other hand, if they show you pictures of the yacht, and the second home, and the plane they all plan to buy in the next year or two ... again that tells you something.

Reactions: 2 users
This. I started July 1st with an SDG I already knew and got the phone call last month that they were selling out November 1st. Going from W-2 to a 1099 and all that entails. At least its a smaller CMG that spun off from ApolloMD.
Core clinical partners?

That's the one. Seems to be an OK organization from what I've seen so far
Trying to grow enough to be bought. Boykin Robinson seems fine. not my cup of tea. Truth about them is they say no private equity but that’s cause their partner pulled out on them. So it’s not like it was some choice. He is trying to like American physician partners 2.0.

1) Pre and post partnership compensation?
2) Length and requirements of partnership tract?
3) Within past 5 years how many prepartners have there been and what percentage made partner?
4) Is partnership equal amongst all partners and truly democratic?
5) What has led to the stability of the contract?
6) Biggest challenges the group faces?
1-4 are expressly stated to our interviewees without them asking. Well, partnership compensation is sort of implied.

Reactions: 1 user