covering physician signing off on a C-II script

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a prescription today where the rx was signed off by a covering physician, but the rx was in the name of the same doc the patient has been getting his narcs. I called to verify who was the ordering MD and it was the original MD whose name was printed. Guess the nurses didn't enter it in the system right. What would you do in that scenario? enter the rx under the name of the covering or the original physician or just deny the filling until the covering physician just writes his own rx.

Members don't see this ad.

The only reliable way for the prescriber to be held accountable is for the prescriber to get bitched at by the customer

Reactions: 1 user
Got a prescription today where the rx was signed off by a covering physician, but the rx was in the name of the same doc the patient has been getting his narcs. I called to verify who was the ordering MD and it was the original MD whose name was printed. Guess the nurses didn't enter it in the system right. What would you do in that scenario? enter the rx under the name of the covering or the original physician or just deny the filling until the covering physician just writes his own rx.
This depends on your state law.

In Texas the prescription are printed on official, government issued forms with serial numbers, and it would be invalid no matter what.
The Texas State Board of Pharmacy would find out that a CII had been filled using the wrong physician name when the Schedule Drug fills for the day were sent in.

I'd reject it, do not pass go, head straight back to doctor's office.