COVID-19 and DAT Test Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalproduction

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I know that Prometric is closing their testing centers through April 16. Obviously, it's hard to tell how this situation is going to play out the next couple weeks, but I was scheduled to take mine on April 18, and I was wondering if anyone thinks that this will still be a possibility or if you think that the testing centers will be closed through all of April. Just wanted to get some other opinions, so I can start planning ahead.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh any answer would be purely speculation at this point. Definitely prepare for it to be on your scheduled date

Plan to take on the 18th but I doubt it wont be pushed further. Mine is on the April 16th after I rescheduled from March 23 but my expectation is it will be pushed further but am preparing as if it is on the 16th.

No one has a crystal ball to answer that question, but I remain optimistic things will be back to normal asap. I do agree with
Faris_ and RYost234 keep preparing for your test date.

Wishing everyone one the best #think30

Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hi, my test date is on April 10 and was canceled. Does anyone know if we have to go in and reschedule this ourselves, or does prometric send a special email showing how to reschedule to to the Covid-19 closure?
Thank you

@Faris_, did you reschedule your test date already? if so, did you do it after you got the email regarding the instructions or did you do it on your own?
I rescheduled immediately to the 16th of April. I wasn't asked to pay $60 fee, thus did NOT pay a rescheduling fee although it showed up in the summery of the rescheduling receipt as paid and no due is remaining. I did it on my own as I expect the email with rescheduling instructions would take weeks to be sent.

Am guessing the people who need to wait for the email are people who have an expired exam beyond the 15th of April since normally they can't reschedule beyond their expiration date. I lucked out since my exam expires on the 16th of April. Meaning any further delays then I'll have to wait for that email. If your exam won't be expired by the 15th of April than I'd suggest you try to reschedule on any day beyond the 15th of April. Hope this helps

Last edited:
So do we have to wait for the email from prometric or not?
Prometric isn't going to stop you from rescheduling. So NO, you don't have to wait for the email and you can reschedule before receiving the email if you want.

The email mostly pertains to people who can't reschedule because their exams expired during the closure time so they're waiting for an extension so can become able to reschedule at a date after closure ends.

So do we have to wait for the email from prometric or not?
If you have an existing appointment with Prometric, you will receive email instructions on how to reschedule your appointment to a future date once it is safe to resume testing. No rescheduling fees will be applied. We are working with your exam sponsor to ensure all program requirements are met. Please note that if you choose to contact Prometric for assistance, hold times may be extended due to the volume of individuals we are attempting to support. We thank you for your patience.

If you are looking to schedule a new appointment, you can search for available appointments on our website, www.prometric.com. Note that appointments in the US and Canada will not be available until April 16 at the earliest. For the latest updates regarding COVID-19 in general and best practices for overall health and safety, please visit the CDC Works 24/7

@orgoman22 , do you feel as if the worsening cases of COVID-19 will keep prometric centers shut down longer? I personally do not feel safe even taking it in May, its just hit a million cases today....

social distancing has been recommended by federal government until april 30. idk if prometric centers (or most of the country) will be ready by may

Members don't see this ad :)
@orgoman22 , do you feel as if the worsening cases of COVID-19 will keep prometric centers shut down longer? I personally do not feel safe even taking it in May, its just hit a million cases today....
This is a very difficult question for anyone to answer. The NYC area where I live as you know is getting hit hard . I personally don't think they will be open in May but time will tell. The test centers will not open until they feel it is safe. Just keep studying and remember a lot of students are in the same situation. They will come up with a solution when they can.

Wishing you and everyone the best...Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when prometric will release their most updated closure status? My humble opinion is that the should absolutely not open on April 16, it still so dangerous to even leave the house and the risk keeps growing. Again, thats just what I think

Shelter at home instructions have been recommended by the federal govertmnet til april 30. unlikely any prometric site will open on april 16

how about in may? experts are saying this might not get resolved until July or even early fall
No one knows, I live in NYC and todays news was promising. All students are facing the same challenge. Keep studying while you have the extra time and I am sure things will be open as soon as it is safe. Some areas are worse than others and I think they will open back up accordingly.

Just my 2 cents..I don't have a crystal ball. ...Nancy

I have emailed several programs and they have all informed me that they plan to go ahead with the application cycle as is. Some said they will take covid-19 into consideration, others said that if you haven't taken your exam that you will be at a disadvantage due to rolling admission.... Good luck to all

do you mind if i ask which programs you asked? Which of the programs said it would be a disadvantage?
The ones I check with were Minnesota, Colorado, nebraska-lincoln, Creighton, Iowa, and Nova. Pretty much all of em.. I mean what are they supposed to do when it comes to rolling admission ya know.. It sucks but its the truth.. Can't remember which but one of them mentioned there would be a question about covid and how it affected you/application.

Hey, thanks for the info! what I noticed was your schools were in low infection rate states. However, in Cali where I am, I think it might be different since we believe here in LA the stay at home order might go into effect in May as well. I believe states hit harder but COVID will be more lenient about this on the application. Just my two cents.

Hey, thanks for the info! what I noticed was your schools were in low infection rate states. However, in Cali where I am, I think it might be different since we believe here in LA the stay at home order might go into effect in May as well. I believe states hit harder but COVID will be more lenient about this on the application. Just my two cents.
Well I'm in North Dakota haha. Minnesota has issued a stay at home order and I know Fargo, ND, where I am is also considering it. Although it may depend state to state, isn't prometric following the federal side of things rather then state? I think they're all doing the same thing for the most part but I may be wrong.

As previously announced in March, Prometric made the difficult decision to temporarily close all of its test center locations in the US and Canada through April 15th with an anticipated resumption of testing effective April 16th. At this time, there is no deviation from this planned resumption of operations. Temporary closure dates for testing locations in other regions of the world are determined based on regional circumstances, and current information is available on our site closure page. We will provide updated information on this page as early as possible.

Me too! I just woke up to a confirmation email and my exam is NOW scheduled for June 8th INSTEAD of April 28th but there has been NO EXPLANATION OR NOTICE OF ANY SORT WHATSOEVER!!!! This is outrageous. Why are they not announcing any update and just randomly rescheduling our exams WITH NO NOTICE OR EXPLANATION?

Me too! I just woke up to a confirmation email and my exam is NOW scheduled for June 8th INSTEAD of April 28th but there has been NO EXPLANATION OR NOTICE OF ANY SORT WHATSOEVER!!!! This is outrageous. Why are they not announcing any update and just randomly rescheduling our exams WITH NO NOTICE OR EXPLANATION?
I understand your frustration, but I am certain the Prometric testing centers are overwhelmed with the current situation and like the rest of us were not prepared. The good news for you is that you did get a new date, many students have not. I am sure if this date will not work for you they will allow a reschedule. We all need to be patient during this difficult time and things will return to normal.

Good luck on your DAT...#think30....Nancy

Frustrating, whats more frustrating is they canceled my exam and rescheduling isn't a possibility because my eligibility expires on April 16. sent them an email over a week ago and still nothing and tried to chat but I was literally waiting for an agent for 5 hours until they closed and nothing. ADA sent me an an email with the extended July 1st eligibility on march 25 but Prometric still haven't updated my account so I still can't reschedule.

keep things in perspective. the world has changed in a month.

you have a test date and still plenty of time to submit DS apps for the cycle

@PreJDentzzM when I rescheduled to may 18 there were no appointments in June. I think prometric may have reserved that whole month for students who are getting their tests canceled. I say keep studying and if it changed you get more time, if not then you'll be ready!

i think you have to do it on your own, but all of the june and july dates are booked already which is such a pain. mine is still scheduled in june but i highly doubt i'm going to be able to take it.

Last edited:
My exam was supposed to be on May 8, do you guys recommend rescheduling ourself or waiting for Prometric to reschedule for us.

hi everyone, my exam was cancelled and my eligibility was extended until july, i got an email saying i can schedule a new dat in 8-10 days however when i tried it didnt allow me through the system to book with my eligibility ID as it says my ID doesnt exist, does anyone know whats going on?

ADA says DAT is considered essential and will be administered in May. Test takers should receive an email with more information on testing.
See page 3 under “test administration vendors”

Does anyone know if this is confirmed? I keep getting emails from Prometrics to reschedule, and "Please do not go to test center." I've been trying to call Prometrics as well, but call volumes are high and my calls haven't been able to go through.

If anyone has any updates, please let me know!! (My test is supposed to be in 2 weeks)

Does anyone know if this is confirmed? I keep getting emails from Prometrics to reschedule, and "Please do not go to test center." I've been trying to call Prometrics as well, but call volumes are high and my calls haven't been able to go through.

If anyone has any updates, please let me know!! (My test is supposed to be in 2 weeks)

Can you post a screenshot of the email? Most of my friends that were scheduled in May never even got an email. But now they are saying the DAT is essential so I don't think you should have to reschedule.