COVID-19 and DAT Test Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalproduction

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I know that Prometric is closing their testing centers through April 16. Obviously, it's hard to tell how this situation is going to play out the next couple weeks, but I was scheduled to take mine on April 18, and I was wondering if anyone thinks that this will still be a possibility or if you think that the testing centers will be closed through all of April. Just wanted to get some other opinions, so I can start planning ahead.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you post a screenshot of the email? Most of my friends that were scheduled in May never even got an email. But now they are saying the DAT is essential so I don't think you should have to reschedule.

1588100372923.png

From what I got on the posts on Facebook's DAT Bootcamp page, the DAT is essential and will continue in May, however, Prometrics is limiting the number of test takers per site, so they've been cancelling 50% of tests for each test date. If you have not received an email, that means your test should still be going on, and you don't have to reschedule. If you did receive an email, then you need to reschedule.

Someone's post says: "Just chatted with ADA and they said they are cancelling SOME May and June appointments because the virus. They sent out ALL final cancellations yesterday so if your didn't receive one yesterday or the past few days you should be fine they said and your day is still on."

^^^ I'm not like 100% sure about all this, but it makes sense since some people did get an email and some people didn't.

Since I got the email today, I rescheduled to a later date in MAY, so hopefully that one doesn't also get cancelled...

Does anyone know if this is confirmed? I keep getting emails from Prometrics to reschedule, and "Please do not go to test center." I've been trying to call Prometrics as well, but call volumes are high and my calls haven't been able to go through.

If anyone has any updates, please let me know!! (My test is supposed to be in 2 weeks)
yes it is true, they are canceling students at every odd seat. For example, my test was May 18 but by random chance it got canceled since im an odd seat. They are doing this to ensure social distancing. If you get an email its canceled, if not you're good to go.

Does anyone know if this is confirmed? I keep getting emails from Prometrics to reschedule, and "Please do not go to test center." I've been trying to call Prometrics as well, but call volumes are high and my calls haven't been able to go through.

If anyone has any updates, please let me know!! (My test is supposed to be in 2 weeks)
If you got an email from Prometric to reschedule then you need to reschedule. They had to cut numbers in half to meet social distancing requirements.

if you didn’t receive an email to reschedule then your test is still on according to the ADA

Members don't see this ad :)
My DAT is scheduled for May 20th, but according to the Prometric website they are closed until May 31st except for "essential services programs", whatever those are. I got an email this morning from Prometric asking to confirm my DAT appointment. Does this mean I am one of the "even" seats and get to sit for it? Or will I be getting a cancellation/reschedule email later this week or next week?

My DAT is scheduled for May 20th, but according to the Prometric website they are closed until May 31st except for "essential services programs", whatever those are. I got an email this morning from Prometric asking to confirm my DAT appointment. Does this mean I am one of the "even" seats and get to sit for it? Or will I be getting a cancellation/reschedule email later this week or next week?
I think youre good!

1588187467364.png

if it does NOT look like this, then I think you are set

I believe Prometric testing is dependent upon where your center is located. I just received two emails stating that my test is still going to happen on June 8th ! Here's the email that I recieved:

" Dear Test Taker,
We're emailing you to inform you that your upcoming test with Prometric for May/June is still confirmed. Due to COVID-19, we are making testing procedure modifications at our centers to ensure the safety of our test takers and staff, provided here. All test takers are required to adhere to the following policies and procedures while at the Prometric test center. Failure to do so will result in your inability to test. We also recommend you practice other transmission-preventative measures, including washing your hands frequently with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap & water for at least 20 seconds; covering your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue while coughing or sneezing; and avoiding touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands. For additional measures, we recommend reviewing the CDC’s Steps to Prevent Illness. This confirmation is pending specific site closures. Should your designated test center be closed for your appointment, per normal process, you will receive a cancellation email prior to your testing date. By clicking "confirm appointment" below, you acknowledge and agree to the attached guidelines, including bringing and wearing a face mask or not being allowed to enter the test center. If you are uncomfortable or unable to test for any reason, you can reschedule your appointment for no additional charge, prior to your testing date. "

yes it is true, they are canceling students at every odd seat. For example, my test was May 18 but by random chance it got canceled since im an odd seat. They are doing this to ensure social distancing. If you get an email its canceled, if not you're good to go.

Hey guys, I just got an email on monday as well saying that my test date has been cancelled. It was originally scheduled for May 28. However I still haven't heard back from them, and when I try to rescheduled myself the earliest date I can find to take the DAT is late august. Is that what you guys are experiencing too? or will they automatically send another email with my new date and I don't have to reschedule myself? I am just really confused on what to do because I don't want to wait till august to take it

Hey guys, I just got an email on monday as well saying that my test date has been cancelled. It was originally scheduled for May 28. However I still haven't heard back from them, and when I try to rescheduled myself the earliest date I can find to take the DAT is late august. Is that what you guys are experiencing too? or will they automatically send another email with my new date and I don't have to reschedule myself? I am just really confused on what to do because I don't want to wait till august to take it
You are not alone, everyone is facing the same issue. Adjustments will be made for the current situation, students are not going to be penalized because of the current situation. More information will be made available as time goes on, probably later in May. Just my 2 cents....Nancy....keep studying..#think30

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I was in the same postition. Things are so hectic right now. I believe you have to reschedule because they provide the link for you to reschedule.

Hey, I was in the same postition. Things are so hectic right now. I believe you have to reschedule because they provide the link for you to reschedule.
Yeah that's why I was confused because they also said to look out for an email for next steps. I guess thats only if you cant use the self-service? Were you able to get a date before august? Thats all I can see ):

Has everyone received a DAT confirmation or cancellation/reschedule email? I haven't received either for my May test date. So I'm still unsure if it is happening

I had been hesitant about scheduling an appointment for the DAT because of this whole covid situation. That hesitation really screwed me over because the soonest date I could schedule for now is August 24th. Everything else was totally unavailable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has everyone received a DAT confirmation or cancellation/reschedule email? I haven't received either for my May test date. So I'm still unsure if it is happening
if you have not received anything, you are good to go for the test so far. So keep studying as if your test will still happen. Best of luck.

Yeah that's why I was confused because they also said to look out for an email for next steps. I guess thats only if you cant use the self-service? Were you able to get a date before august? Thats all I can see ):
I believe when they say next steps, I think its for people who don't know how to reschedule. Just my two cents.

Just to share, prometrics opened up a lot of DAT dates for this month and June.
I think it's a good idea to check the website over the next few days to get the date you want to take the exam!

Attachments

• SS 2020-05-01 at 5.47.20 PM.png
    SS 2020-05-01 at 5.47.20 PM.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I read on reddit that some med students taking USMLE got in contact with prometric and those massive openings were a glitch in the system. Some of them were legit, but beware when rescheduling.

View attachment 305009
How are people getting in contact with them? Can’t even get an email response. My test is in less than a week and still haven’t gotten any sort of confirmation email. What a mess.

To be honest I have no idea. Have you been searching SDN, reddit, internet to see if your site is open? I've been looking all over the place to try and get info. Some people have been dming prometric locations on facebook. Some share spaces with Sylvan learning center so have contacted them to get info, etc. Gotta be creative I guess lol.
What about this list from prometric??? No one seems to be talking about it. Btw this list leaves out many testing sites which I assume aren't participating in essential testing.

Hey everyone, I've been reading through the thread. My DAT was canceled and the only date I could find was early August. Do you think I should give up this cycle or will schools be accomodating?

Hey everyone, I've been reading through the thread. My DAT was canceled and the only date I could find was early August. Do you think I should give up this cycle or will schools be accomodating?
just like @laundry said, dental schools understand whats happenining and they will accomodate. Its not just you affected, it is a lot of dental students. Side note, im in the same boat, I went from May to August test date, I emailed the schools I wanted to go to and they told me not to worry they will be accommodating

Reactions: 1 users
I really wonder how this cycle will play out. I also reached out to schools and they all say they are aware of Prometrics changes and that they will take that into consideration. One school said to submit the application without my DAT score. They are giving out provisional admissions but expect scores to be submitted before final decisions are made. I wonder what they mean by that... My test date is not until Oct 3rd... but I am ready to submit as soon as my transcripts are verified. I wonder if I am just wasting my money since my GPA isnt even considered to be the most competitive. I was relying a lot on my DAT score to even out the playing field. Although I have 5 years of dental experience and 600 hours of volunteering and 100 of shadowing....

I really wonder how this cycle will play out. I also reached out to schools and they all say they are aware of Prometrics changes and that they will take that into consideration. One school said to submit the application without my DAT score. They are giving out provisional admissions but expect scores to be submitted before final decisions are made. I wonder what they mean by that... My test date is not until Oct 3rd... but I am ready to submit as soon as my transcripts are verified. I wonder if I am just wasting my money since my GPA isnt even considered to be the most competitive. I was relying a lot on my DAT score to even out the playing field. Although I have 5 years of dental experience and 600 hours of volunteering and 100 of shadowing....

Keep checking the Prometric calendar regularly! They keep adding open seating for the DAT, and my friend was actually able to reschedule (for free) for an earlier date in mid-July instead of August. So if you're ready to take the DAT sometime this summer, I'd definitely keep updating the Prometric calendar!