COVID-19 and Virtual Interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

a_distant_dream

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I currently live in a college dorm and 3 of the people I live with have COVID-19. My first virtual interview is next week. I’m handwashing / sanitizing / masking religiously, but would love any thoughts on what to do if I actually do get COVID-19 and whether rescheduling would reflect poorly on me. Thank you in advance for any advice. Any prophylactic suggestions would also be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
It goes without saying that you should be vaccinated including a booster. With any luck, you will not catch the virus or you will be asymptomatic and able to conduct your interview without a hitch.

Just as you would if you caught the flu or some other illness that made it impossible to participate in an interview (more than once in my 30s, I contracted laryngitis to the point where I could not speak) it will not be held against you if you have to ask to reschedule due to illness.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you get COVID-19, follow the appropriate protocols to make sure you stay healthy, and do not expose others unnecessarily. I agree you should have gotten vaccinated and boosted. If it's a virtual interview, notify the admissions team as quickly as possible if you will not be able to attend your session and find out how you can reschedule.