COVID-19 testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med Director New England

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of specific labs other than CDC labs testing for COVID-19?

I saw the CDC press release over the weekend mentioning that some labs (no specifics) are now being allowed to test. Also some of the west coast cases initially reported positive cases pending CDC conformation. Anyone on the west coast know who is testing out there?

I know for sure none of the big labs capable of testing (hospital / academic or commercial) in and around Boston are testing as of today.

Members don't see this ad.

Viracor is supposedly going to have one up and running within the next 2-3 weeks according some targeted advertising.

Mildly related - S. Korea has drive through testing: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia and Cornell are both testing as well

Reactions: 1 user
Testing is becoming widespread now.

Anyone with Roche Cobas analyzer can validate and test for Covid.

Testing is becoming widespread now.

Anyone with Roche Cobas analyzer can validate and test for Covid.
AMP listserv said the Roche kits are only available to CDC affiliated labs for now. TriCore (UNM reference lab) has an LDT up and running as well.

AMP listserv said the Roche kits are only available to CDC affiliated labs for now. TriCore (UNM reference lab) has an LDT up and running as well.

Hopkins running now, Quest and Labcorp too. I know there are others. The validation under the EUA with cobas is straightforward.

The CDC won’t deny any lab with the cobas (any lab with the instrument would also have the expertise) who wants to validate. There are probably 100 cobas instruments around the country. In a few days 20K tests a day In the us will be happening

Hopkins running now, Quest and Labcorp too. I know there are others. The validation under the EUA with cobas is straightforward.

The CDC won’t deny any lab with the cobas (any lab with the instrument would also have the expertise) who wants to validate. There are probably 100 cobas instruments around the country. In a few days 20K tests a day In the us will be happening
The posting just said only CDC and the federal government has selected a few sites to approve and receive the SARS-COV-2 test, due to limited supplies and global demand their is no plan to expand past that. CDC might not but Roche is only supplying certain labs currently. Maybe in the future it will expand. Hopefully at least.

it looks like 400,000 tests are going out this week and next week. At 30 locations.

Last edited:
The posting just said only CDC and the federal government has selected a few sites to approve and receive the SARS-COV-2 test, due to limited supplies and global demand their is no plan to expand past that. CDC might not but Roche is only supplying certain labs currently. Maybe in the future it will expand. Hopefully at least.
Trust me bro - middle of next week Around 20 k / tests per day will be run in the US.

Most labs That are now running the modified cdc method will switch over to roche in the next week. Higher thru put and better for large scale testing b/c you can send the specimen at room temperature instead of on ice.

Trust me bro - middle of next week Around 20 k / tests per day will be run in the US.

Most labs That are now running the modified cdc method will switch over to roche in the next week. Higher thru put and better for large scale testing b/c you can send the specimen at room temperature instead of on ice.

hopefully that would be great.

hopefully that would be great.
I am certain about this.
The most limiting factor is the instrument capacity. The swabs, media, primers can all be made faster than can be consumed by every roche cobas In the country running 24/7.

Genmark and cepheid are rolling out testing as well.