LADoc gets COVID... yikes, dont get COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally got the 'Vids which sequenced out to be Omicron.

Actually roughly 30%+ of my medical staff has it which is insane. Our entire section (aka anatomic pathology) is down.

Good News:
Omicron is indeed relatively minor if you have been vaccinated and boosted. Omicron is far easier able to penetrate Pfizer and J&J and Moderna offers by far the best protection so its sad the medical staff typically has Pfizer.
No respiratory symptoms aside from minor chest heaviness if you are vaccinated and boosted.
Headaches make you think you actually have a hangover not a respiratory virus.
Fatigue is fairly minor depending on how solid your baseline physical shape is.

THE BAD NEWS:
Preference this Im not coming at this from any sort of political slant, this is purely my journaling of my own illness where I was able to mobilize my own labs and a science staff to run PCR and blood work on me several times.

My Ct value began 22 and after roughly 24 hours it rose all the way to 32.3. Day 2 I felt literally great because I actually slept for 14 hours. I'm bench pressing more than I normally 1 RPM (255) and I convince myself COVID has actually made me stronger.

Day 3 I felt slightly worse, my Ct value now goes to down to 28. I begin having increasing difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep occasionally being woken up by a cough but mostly by increasingly bizarre thoughts.

Day 4 my Ct actually revisits 22 again...uh oh..my blood work is normal aside from increased RDW..I get a tad more worried. I contemplate doing a bone marrow on myself out of interest but then realize that is insane when another physician in my lab starts trying to talk me down and get me to go home.

Day 5 my Ct rises again to 28 but I am getting more frequent headaches and my thoughts are getting even more confused.

I wake up on Day 6 at 3am and actually thought it was good idea to ask a colleague to preform a brain biopsy on me because I was having word finding difficulty. I go back to bed later waking up and thinking I could becoming schizophrenic. My Ct value remains at 28.

Day 7 Im getting very tired because Im not getting restful sleep at all now and I have my first panic attack at 6am. A panic attack about essentially nothing, Im still feeling around 90% of my baseline athletic capability aside from fatigue. My Ct is now back down to 22....wth! I take a verbal online SAT test, I score significantly lower than when I was in high school. I take another online test, this time an IQ test and my IQ is now close to normal range! The horror! I have a second more extensive panic attack when this sinks in.

Day 8 I wake up at 2am having a panic attack that my IQ maybe permanently reduced by COVID and cant go back to sleep. I think it is a good idea to get in my car and drive for 4 straight hours. I pass out in a hotel room in a city about 150 miles from where I normally reside. I wake up and have no clue where I am. I drive back and my Ct value is now 22....another panic attack ensues. I send out text messages to my lab employees only to get a call from the supervisor to stop texting because the messages dont make sense. I reread my text messages and agree they are nonsense but seemed to make sense at the time I sent them.

Day 9 I wake up and have the biggest domestic fight ever with my spouse, essentially out of nowhere. Im lucky LE doesnt get involved it was that crazy. I demand a divorce, accuse her of hiding funds, affairs, my kids being fathered by someone else and even plotting to poison my food (almost paranoid schizophrenic levels). RDW is still elevated, Ct value is 25. I try to sleep.

Day 10 my Ct value is now 33, I feel better but not 100%. I take my absurd ABP certlink exam and score MASSIVELY lower than I normally do, like 75% when I normally are at 95-100% on those. I try to read about 20 biopsy cases and it seemed to take me twice as long as normal. I have to tell everyone Im not reading slides until I am 100% mentally.

Simple Question: Will the real long term effect on the human population from SARS-CoV-2 be neurologic and not pulmonary??

Members don't see this ad.

Simple answer: No. The vast majority of patients will have zero long term physical effects

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Were all those different Ct values taken at the same time of day? And what is your threshold for "positive"?

Interestingly, I have been feeling "not great" since Dec 2nd, about 4 days after a trip to Minneapolis. I immediately took a rapid test when I got home, which was negative. It's been more than a month now and I'm still not 100%, although a lot better. Like LADoc, I am very physically active and can still perform but feel tired and "off", and have been wondering if my test was a FN. I got the Moderna vaccine, but stupidly waited too long for the booster (I didn't get it until after onset of the symptoms below). I don't run this test inhouse so I didn't go the LA route of getting hourly updates.

My symptoms (in order of annoyance):
1. Poor, restless sleep (no trouble going to sleep, but waking up constantly and for long durations, waking up more tired than when I went to bed)
2. Altered sensation of walking through molasses, first present for like a week, then on-and-off, some clouded thinking
3. fatigue and weakness (but still a relatively very fit middle-aged dude)
4. poor autonomic function (increased BP, increased baseline HR, after exercise HR stays elevated for prolonged times)
5. Headache

#1 above is still there 60% This sucks.
#2 is resolved, last time I felt it was about 5 days ago
#3 is still there, but much improved (I'd say I am at 60%)
#4 is really hit or miss. I think I have developed SVTs that come and go
#5 is also hit or miss.

Were all those different Ct values taken at the same time of day? And what is your threshold for "positive"?
All the same time each day within 20 min and all with same exertional effort to control for swab quality. All done on the same exact PCR analyzer as I have a few of them at this location.

I feel 100% today aside from still minor headaches.

A few weeks before the vaccines rolled out, I got COVID back in winter of 2020. I knew something was off because in the middle of the night I had some cold sweats and when I got up to get a glass of water, I felt dizzy and nauseated. Also, my sense of smell was gone. I got tested later that day and was positive.

Other than the headache and general fatigue, I never had any labored breathing (O2 sat never dropped below 95) and I was fully recovered in 2 days just taking it easy. Interestingly, even to this day my sense of smell is about 50% of what it was before COVID. My sense of taste is no different. Other than that, I haven't felt any other long-lasting effects. Got the moderna vaccine series about 4 months after recovering.

I don't know about you guys, but they have shut down elective procedures again in my neck of the woods. Lack of beds and staff. Guess I will go see the Matrix some more and run more miles for however long this goes on.

Reactions: 1 users
A few weeks before the vaccines rolled out, I got COVID back in winter of 2020. I knew something was off because in the middle of the night I had some cold sweats and when I got up to get a glass of water, I felt dizzy and nauseated. Also, my sense of smell was gone. I got tested later that day and was positive.

Other than the headache and general fatigue, I never had any labored breathing (O2 sat never dropped below 95) and I was fully recovered in 2 days just taking it easy. Interestingly, even to this day my sense of smell is about 50% of what it was before COVID. My sense of taste is no different. Other than that, I haven't felt any other long-lasting effects. Got the moderna vaccine series about 4 months after recovering.

Do some cognitive tests especially if you have baseline data. I had a drop in smell acuity but not a complete loss. Taste totally unaffected.

I don't know about you guys, but they have shut down elective procedures again in my neck of the woods. Lack of beds and staff. Guess I will go see the Matrix some more and run more miles for however long this goes on.

You got the right idea, Webb. You’d think this has morphed into ebola. Omicron was the best thing that could happen epidemiology-wise. Prevalence is nearing 100%. Predictive value of a negative test is for s***. The disease is benign for darned near everyone unless you are unable, for whatever reason, to mount an immune response.

Do some cognitive tests especially if you have baseline data. I had a drop in smell acuity but not a complete loss. Taste totally unaffected.
I've been signing out no less than 1,500 RVU/month since I got COVID. A good portion of my difficult oncology cases goes to outside institutions for review and there are no issues. I think my brain works just fine.

You got the right idea, Webb. You’d think this has morphed into ebola. Omicron was the best thing that could happen epidemiology-wise. Prevalence is nearing 100%. Predictive value of a negative test is for s***. The disease is benign for darned near everyone unless you are unable, for whatever reason, to mount an immune response.
If Omicron's origins are to be believed - that it came from an AIDS patient (or that population) in South Africa - then I'm totally not worried about it. Again, if this virus couldn't knock off a full-blown AIDS patient, then healthy people shouldn't have to worry about it too much.
Some centers where I'm at have stopped elective procedures. My hospital, for once, learned its lesson about what happens when you do that and has instead a triage committee to sort out which elective procedures can be done on an outpatient basis without taxing ICU resources. Urgent oncology procedures are still green lit. As the other hospitals in town who are bigger and better staffed are closing their doors to oncology patients, we're opening them up and getting quite busy.

Hopefully no bad mutants come out of immunocompromised people. I am getting tired of this crap. The constant starting and stopping of procedures is not good for the bottom line.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting so many mentioning difficulty sleeping

I have had trouble sleeping for like 5 days, has never happened to me. Also my exercise tolerance down a bit. I wear a HR monitor when I peloton and my HR is higher than it usually is.
My spouse exact same symptoms.
We both got pzizer x 2 , boosted with Moderna

I had definitive Covid early in pandemic, + serology.

We both treated yesterday negative by PCR
But something is going on - will retest next week if this continues

We have some sections of our lab with 1/3 out with Covid. Our medical / scientific staff are avoiding each other at work hoping that we all don’t get it at once. No one really sick, mild symptoms. Thank goodness 5 days now

RI just announced Medical staff can continue working even during 5 day window if no alternative staff.

Will be nice when we get out the back side of this surge

Stay well all

Interesting so many mentioning difficulty sleeping

Just got off the phone with a buddy of mine in CT who got COVID last year. I told him I suspected I had it and told him about my sleep issues. He mentioned he is also having the same problem for the last 4 weeks, and chalked it up to stress.

I've been up since 3AM today. It's awful. It's almost as bad as being a surgery intern.

Wanna do some personal coaching in the meantime?:)

RI just announced Medical staff can continue working even during 5 day window if no alternative staff.

This is where its clear the political class considers us nothing more than slaves and widgets of productive output.

This is where its clear the political class considers us nothing more than slaves and widgets of productive output.
Honestly not too many have publicly objected or if they have I haven’t heard about it.

So many are sitting out waiting their 5 days and feel fine or have a 24-36 hr mild illness.

Better to have a Covid + nurse / MD taking care of Covid patients than no nurse / MD at all I suppose.

This story will become a wet dream for Fox News. A few systems in RI fired employees back in November who refused vaccine now this.

A silver lining:

the case counts now in Mass are ~ 6 fold what they were in the surge last winter. And many with only + antigen test don’t make it into the case count and many, many more probably have it but just aren’t bothering testing. So cases are likely much higher. In spite of this the absolute # in ICU with Covid or intubated with Covid is down slightly compared to same time last year, deaths down quite a bit. I guess that’s good it’s now way less deadly than before and literally in the next 2 weeks there won’t be anyone left to infect. I don’t understand why experts are still only cautious optimistic that omicron is less deadly. It probably has 10-100 fold less mortality compared to prior variants.

COVID positive health care employees called in to work in Rhode Island

I don’t understand why experts are still only cautious optimistic that omicron is less deadly.
Abundance of caution and lack of definitive data as this is still relatively recent. If they said it is definitely less deadly, people would take it less seriously. If it then turns out everyone with Omicron's heads will explode 5 weeks after infection (or whatever), it will have been a disaster.

Abundance of caution and lack of definitive data as this is still relatively recent. If they said it is definitely less deadly, people would take it less seriously. If it then turns out everyone with Omicron's heads will explode 5 weeks after infection (or whatever), it will have been a disaster.
I suppose…but if one is always considering the worst case it’s no way to live, esp extremely unlikely scenarios

How do we know, for example the spike protein isn’t similar to some protein in humans kidney. & anyone vaccinated now has a chronic autoimmune nephritis that is clinically occult for a couple of years but will cause kidney failure in some?

I don’t believe this is true - but suppose this or suppose that scenario will never end….

Honestly not too many have publicly objected or if they have I haven’t heard about it.

So many are sitting out waiting their 5 days and feel fine or have a 24-36 hr mild illness.

Better to have a Covid + nurse / MD taking care of Covid patients than no nurse / MD at all I suppose.

This story will become a wet dream for Fox News. A few systems in RI fired employees back in November who refused vaccine now this.

A silver lining:

the case counts now in Mass are ~ 6 fold what they were in the surge last winter. And many with only + antigen test don’t make it into the case count and many, many more probably have it but just aren’t bothering testing. So cases are likely much higher. In spite of this the absolute # in ICU with Covid or intubated with Covid is down slightly compared to same time last year, deaths down quite a bit. I guess that’s good it’s now way less deadly than before and literally in the next 2 weeks there won’t be anyone left to infect. I don’t understand why experts are still only cautious optimistic that omicron is less deadly. It probably has 10-100 fold less mortality compared to prior variants.

COVID positive health care employees called in to work in Rhode Island
I am a med student, and anecdotally, tons of students in my class caught it over the holiday break. All were fully vaccinated and boosted, and from what I heard, almost everyone was sidelined for about 5 days with general cold symptoms and slight fatigue, and most are feeling back to 100% by now. This truly is a contagious strain, although, knock on wood, for the vaccinated/boosted it doesn't seem to be too impactful.

I suppose…but if one is always considering the worst case it’s no way to live, esp extremely unlikely scenarios

How do we know, for example the spike protein isn’t similar to some protein in humans kidney. & anyone vaccinated now has a chronic autoimmune nephritis that is clinically occult for a couple of years but will cause kidney failure in some?

I don’t believe this is true - but suppose this or suppose that scenario will never end….
Ok, than ALL who recovered would carry the same nephritis PLUS respiratory and neurological symptoms as postcovid syndrome

Ok, than ALL who recovered would carry the same nephritis PLUS respiratory and neurological symptoms as postcovid syndrome

“Symptoms” and Syndromes”? This has become a nasty cold. I think too many, now, are getting carried away with this. Look at the Chicago teacher union.

“Symptoms” and Syndromes”? This has become a nasty cold. I think too many, now, are getting carried away with this. Look at the Chicago teacher union.
To be honest with you, I think a lot of it is still psychological fear from COVID that we all lived through from the beginning where we knew nothing about it up until this point. Remembering the dreaded headlines on the news everyday and deaths is not an easy process to recover from quickly.

Even if it has become a much milder upper respiratory infection, there is still a lingering psychological fear around it that will not go away over night. It may take years for some to come to terms with what it is, and many will still ere on the extreme side of caution until then.

Big picture, I think the silver lining is that thank God we now have vaccines, and for the most part we know if you are vaccinated and boosted, even if you catch it, it's no longer the wildcard disease that could potentially cause death/severe morbidity that it once was (prior to vaccines). If/when the treatment pills become ubiquitous, that's even more comfort.

But I still think it will take time for people to mentally get over COVID, thus we will continue to see extreme levels of caution for a while. Not saying this is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 4 users
To be honest with you, I think a lot of it is still psychological fear from COVID that we all lived through from the beginning where we knew nothing about it up until this point. Remembering the dreaded headlines on the news everyday and deaths is not an easy process to recover from quickly.

Even if it has become a much milder upper respiratory infection, there is still a lingering psychological fear around it that will not go away over night. It may take years for some to come to terms with what it is, and many will still ere on the extreme side of caution until then.

Big picture, I think the silver lining is that thank God we now have vaccines, and for the most part we know if you are vaccinated and boosted, even if you catch it, it's no longer the wildcard disease that could potentially cause death/severe morbidity that it once was (prior to vaccines). If/when the treatment pills become ubiquitous, that's even more comfort.

But I still think it will take time for people to mentally get over COVID, thus we will continue to see extreme levels of caution for a while. Not saying this is right or wrong, but it is what it is.
Agree completely. There is a tremendous mental/ social/ emotional hangover that, sadly, has had a lot of political gasoline thrown on it which has really made some folks screwy.

Reactions: 2 users
What are your thoughts on this case report postulating a use for plasma exchange in treating long covid?

It’s a bunch of BS, from the same clowns who published that plasmapheresis “rejuvenates” old tissues or some pseudoscience crap like that. Might as well give them an extra round of PLEX for their bad breath and unsightly thigh fat while you’re at it.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got covid, Moderna vaccinated and boosted. Have asthma and DID have respiratory symptoms. SpO2 down to 90% for about a day and pretty short of breath for 3 days. I believe that had I not been vaccinated, I would have been on a ventilator. So grateful for the vaccine and the amazing scientists who developed it so quickly.

Main symptoms for about a week were body aches and fevers though. I did have a sustained HR in the 130s for like a day though.

My husband got it and had zero symptoms except a mild runny nose--he has healthy lungs--butthead. Also my entire immediate family and his entire family got it, noone with symptoms. Just lucky little me.

Back to 100% though and feeling great again.

Just got over it. 3 and a half days of total symptoms, 2 of those nights were surprisingly nasty with shaking chills/sweats and fever dreams. Took it like a man though, didn't get all neurotic like LA did!!!

• Haha
  • Love
Day 8 I wake up at 2am having a panic attack that my IQ maybe permanently reduced by COVID and cant go back to sleep. I think it is a good idea to get in my car and drive for 4 straight hours. I pass out in a hotel room in a city about 150 miles from where I normally reside. I wake up and have no clue where I am. I drive back and my Ct value is now 22....another panic attack ensues. I send out text messages to my lab employees only to get a call from the supervisor to stop texting because the messages dont make sense. I reread my text messages and agree they are nonsense but seemed to make sense at the time I sent them.

Simple Question: Will the real long term effect on the human population from SARS-CoV-2 be neurologic and not pulmonary??

Your messages never made much sense to me. Have you had COVID all this time? /s

• Haha