Covid/fellowship apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillworking93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

With fellowship apps nearing, a lot of our clinics are closed/consult services off limits to residents and we are getting pulled to the different services. These are clearly extraordinary times, but anyone have any advice or input on how to get fellowship things together before May with all of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

With fellowship apps nearing, a lot of our clinics are closed/consult services off limits to residents and we are getting pulled to the different services. These are clearly extraordinary times, but anyone have any advice or input on how to get fellowship things together before May with all of this?

I would fill them out slowly, and send them out.

I have a question:

My fellowship asked fellows to do the hospitalist job due to COVID-19.
But they do not want to compensate/pay as hospitalist for this time period!

Hospital is not seeing patients for free, and also they are receiving money from government, but they are not willing to pay fellows working as hospitalists. I think they are using this crisis to make money because otherwise they have to pay 2,000-2,500$ a shift for moonlighting.

This is not a communist country that they can force us to do things without paying!

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question:

My fellowship asked fellows to do the hospitalist job due to COVID-19.
But they do not want to compensate/pay as hospitalist for this time period!

Hospital is not seeing patients for free, and also they are receiving money from government, but they are not willing to pay fellows working as hospitalists. I think they are using this crisis to make money because otherwise they have to pay 2,000-2,500$ a shift for moonlighting.

This is not a communist country that they can force us to do things without paying!

Any thoughts?
You are certainly free to quit. And the ACGME has put emergency rules into place that allow this.

You are certainly free to quit. And the ACGME has put emergency rules into place that allow this.
Just read your bio!

You are an admin guy! no surprise to write such an answer. How many fellows and residents do you abuse every day? how many do the ****ty job so you can make money? and now you know well how to make more money in a crisis! you take the money from government, charge the patient as always and then find a excuse (COVID-19 emergency) to use fellows to do the job with 1/10 of the money!

You thin you are smart? and you think you can use ACGME to protect you and get rid of unhappy fellows that object?

No this won't happen.
I feel sorry for all the residents and fellows you abuse, actually you should be reported.

Will see what happen

Just read your bio!

You are an admin guy! no surprise to write such an answer. How many fellows and residents do you abuse every day? how many do the ****ty job so you can make money? and now you know well how to make more money in a crisis! you take the money from government, charge the patient as always and then find a excuse (COVID-19 emergency) to use fellows to do the job with 1/10 of the money!

You thin you are smart? and you think you can use ACGME to protect you and get rid of unhappy fellows that object?

No this won't happen.
I feel sorry for all the residents and fellows you abuse, actually you should be reported.

Will see what happen
You're cute.

I'm a full time clinician who, in my "free time" is an admin. I don't "control" any fellows or residents.

I actually think that fellows who have a full license and are being tasked to work as hospitalists independently SHOULD be paid for such.

I'm just pointing out that the ACGME has made it so programs don't have to. And that any PD who wanted to do so, would have your nuts in a vice for refusing to work.

I'm just pointing out that the ACGME has made it so programs don't have to.

Could you please provide a link/reference for that? Thank you.

You shouldn't be working as an independent hospitalist. You should be sending your notes to an attending. The ACGME stipulates adequate supervision in that pandemic stage. You can't be pulled to practice independently - at least that is how our institute is taking it. If they credentialed you as a full attending and are making you do work alone without staffing/supervision...that is moonlighting, I don't think this is allowed. Who knows though, it's a **** show and everyone is looking to minimize exposure and maximize profits/work.

You shouldn't be working as an independent hospitalist. You should be sending your notes to an attending. The ACGME stipulates adequate supervision in that pandemic stage. You can't be pulled to practice independently - at least that is how our institute is taking it. If they credentialed you as a full attending and are making you do work alone without staffing/supervision...that is moonlighting, I don't think this is allowed. Who knows though, it's a **** show and everyone is looking to minimize exposure and maximize profits/work.
I was simply pointing out that ACGME has removed barriers to institutions making this happen. They certainly can take licensed/boarded internists (who also happen to be sub-specialty trainees) and give them emergency credentials to practice as hospitalists if needed. How the institution handles compensation will vary of course. Obviously, paying them for moonlighting is the "right" thing to do.

I was simply pointing out that ACGME has removed barriers to institutions making this happen. They certainly can take licensed/boarded internists (who also happen to be sub-specialty trainees) and give them emergency credentials to practice as hospitalists if needed. How the institution handles compensation will vary of course. Obviously, paying them for moonlighting is the "right" thing to do.

I know a few fellows in NYC that are functioning as hospitalists but are not going to be paid as attendings.