Covid loa...nontrad seeking advice regarding residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdoctobe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Hoping to get some opinions, especially if you are a PD: I am an MS1 who had to take a LOA about 12 weeks into MS1 because of a family health emergency (covid related). At the time, my school recommended I take a 4 week LOA and extend it to a year if it goes over the 4 weeks. This means I have to restart with the next class. It did take longer than 4 weeks so I will be joining with the next class. So here are my questions. I wanted to assess how this will impact matching to a residency program (interested in EM/IM). I am in an MD school but there will be a couple of red flags as I see it;
1. My age - I will be 39 yo at the time of applying for match (this is a second career for me)
2. LOA on my application.
Is this going to ruin my chances of matching? Since I do have a successful previous career in health care, do I need to seriously consider going back to that career given what has happened? I still want the MD but if this will derail my future prospects, I do owe it to myself to think practically. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are not red flags.
1. Nobody cares.
2. Health-related LOA that is resolved and you do well in school/Steps afterwards? Nobody cares.

If you don't want to be a physician after all, then now is a perfect time to bail. If you're certain you still want to be a physician, go for it. You'll be fine.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The LOA is very understandable. I hope everything goes well for your family. Your experiences through COVID could even reflect positively in your PS. I had someone in his 60s in my Med school class. Complete non-factor.

Take care of yourself and your family and get back to it next year.

Absolutely want to be a physician! But want to be sure I am not already doomed.

That age is totally fine. Probably the average age for someone starting residency is 30-31, maybe more. In my intern class alone, there's someone in their late 30s, someone in their early 40s, and someone in their 50s. I also agree that a heath related LOA doesn't matter if you've recovered and you've not had any performance issues afterwards.

Echoing above. I’m a nontrad. Currently 40 and just graduated residency this year (a little behind you in the timeline but not by much).

it’s a complete nonfactor. Just writing in case you need to hear this from a bunch of people.

Echoing above. I’m a nontrad. Currently 40 and just graduated residency this year (a little behind you in the timeline but not by much).

it’s a complete nonfactor. Just writing in case you need to hear this from a bunch of people.
I am 35 and will be 42 when I graduate, think you’re ahead of me 😀

Was 38 when I started residency...nice thing was one of my med students didn’t believe me when I was an intern and made me show him my license! Do well in med school and you will be fine.

I can never recommend medical school to anyone who is too stuck on one specific specialty - the number of factors that come into play are huge between admission and graduating residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I can never recommend medical school to anyone who is too stuck on one specific specialty - the number of factors that come into play are huge between admission and graduating residency.
Even IM? I understand EM is more competitive, but I thought IM in community is towards the bottom of the “competitiveness” scale? So why would that be an issue if I am aiming for IM/EM? But I guess that’s a question for another day. The purpose of my post is to figure out if my LOA in combination with my age would be too big of an issue to overcome to match for a residency.

I am 35 and will be 42 when I graduate, think you’re ahead of me 😀
Ya just meant I was slightly younger than you at the same spot. Graduated med school at 36. But regardless you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Even IM? I understand EM is more competitive, but I thought IM in community is towards the bottom of the “competitiveness” scale? So why would that be an issue if I am aiming for IM/EM? But I guess that’s a question for another day. The purpose of my post is to figure out if my LOA in combination with my age would be too big of an issue to overcome to match for a residency.
When I read it I thought you said EM...

Still, some people make assumptions about what life will be like "oh yeah 7 days on 7 days off" and it just doesn't always work out that way.