COVID Vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What. I didn’t know this was a thing. My employer doesn’t give a freebie leave :( unless you mean unpaid time off, then of course.
VA gives two days per dose, if needed

Members don't see this ad.

I'm three days post my 2nd Moderna shot.

Dose 1 - slight fatigue and arm soreness onset approx 5-6hrs post-shot. fatigue gone after waking; no other notable reaction of that sort. arm soreness (like working out whole arm with very heavy weights) increased over time with peak soreness approx 24hours from shot. soreness completely gone 2.5 days after shot.

Dose 2 - swelling and pain at injection site approx 1hr post-shot. hot, painful to the touch, swollen, red lesion/rash develops at injection site and spans approx 3in diameter 4-5hrs from shot. arm pain seemed more acute overnight and developed overnight chills. woke with no change in lesion and 100 degree fever. chills and fatigue all day; felt at about 60% of capacity. Fever and fatigue gone following day, lesion decreasing in redness, pain, and size. Third day, today, lesion approx 1.5in diameter, still inflamed, pain intensity less and more localized, very very itchy! Topical benadryl is helping with the itch.

I learned that this lesion thing is what people are referring to as COVID arm and not the general soreness like what followed my Dose 1. My skin can be sensitive so perhaps why I've also developed the itchiness.

Related to my experience, I feel somewhat annoyed that it doesn't seem as if there is much effort going into informing people where/how to report side effects. What does exist (VAERS and V-Safe) is very formal and structured in a way that seems like only people who are extremely motivated to report will. I understand why these reporting systems are made this way, but from a broader data perspective, I think it's a shame.

All in all, 10/10 would recommend and get again.

Related to my experience, I feel somewhat annoyed that it doesn't seem as if there is much effort going into informing people where/how to report side effects. What does exist (VAERS and V-Safe) is very formal and structured in a way that seems like only people who are extremely motivated to report will. I understand why these reporting systems are made this way, but from a broader data perspective, I think it's a shame.

All in all, 10/10 would recommend and get again.

Honestly, knowing what we do about response rates and participation, v-safe is a vast improvement on older ways of doing things. I hope they build on it going forward, but they're probably collecting much more info than we've ever gotten from such a rollout.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the J&J today. Felt fine until bed - woke up an hour later FREEZING. Took my temperature and no fever so I just piled on some blankets. Within five minutes I’m shivering so bad I can’t sit still. I’ve been pretty sick a few times in my life and never had chills like this. Took temp again and it rose 2 degrees (in around 15 minutes). Caved and took some Tylenol - hoping this wears off soon because I’m not sleeping tonight. Thankfully I did all my classwork early, so I can take tomorrow off if necessary!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Got the J&J today. Felt fine until bed - woke up an hour later FREEZING. Took my temperature and no fever so I just piled on some blankets. Within five minutes I’m shivering so bad I can’t sit still. I’ve been pretty sick a few times in my life and never had chills like this. Took temp again and it rose 2 degrees (in around 15 minutes). Caved and took some Tylenol - hoping this wears off soon because I’m not sleeping tonight. Thankfully I did all my classwork early, so I can take tomorrow off if necessary!

I also had the shivers, which made the body aches worse. But see my post earlier about a hot shower. TLDR: it was amazing.

I also had the shivers, which made the body aches worse. But see my post earlier about a hot shower. TLDR: it was amazing.
A hot shower was the best thing I did all night 😂 temp peaked at 102 this morning and I still feel like I was run over by a freight train. My sister and boyfriend went to the same vaccine clinic yesterday and both had the same reactions. Hopefully it wears off soon - thankful this is one shot and done!

Reactions: 1 user
A hot shower was the best thing I did all night 😂 temp peaked at 102 this morning and I still feel like I was run over by a freight train. My sister and boyfriend went to the same vaccine clinic yesterday and both had the same reactions. Hopefully it wears off soon - thankful this is one shot and done!
And of course a few days after I get the vaccine it’s put on pause 😅 can’t say I’m not paranoid - I’ve had a headache on and off, plus fatigue all week. Likely just the vaccine dragging out but it sure makes me nervous!

Moderna #2 scheduled for next Tuesday. I've already called out of work for the week.......

Moderna #2 scheduled for next Tuesday. I've already called out of work for the week.......

I wonder if that is a tad bit excessive (?)...so sounds like you're playing hookie from work, eh? ;)

(I had Pfizer shots during the work day, and didn't skip a beat... except for injection site soreness for <48 hours, but perhaps Moderna is much different experience.)

Good luck. :luck:

I wonder if that is a tad bit excessive (?)...so sounds like you're playing hookie from work, eh? ;)

(I had Pfizer shots during the work day, and didn't skip a beat... except for injection site soreness for <48 hours, but perhaps Moderna is much different experience.)

Good luck. :luck:
@chicandtoughness had a rough go first dose so I can't blame them for preparing for round two. If you look at the side effect data, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to plan to be out for at least a day after. I really hated having to cancel my patients last minute (though they all understood). Good luck, @chicandtoughness

@chicandtoughness had a rough go first dose so I can't blame them for preparing for round two. If you look at the side effect data, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to plan to be out for at least a day after. I really hated having to cancel my patients last minute (though they all understood). Good luck, @chicandtoughness

After Moderna round 2, I was not very mobile the next day. I could have toughed through things if necessary, but the fatigue and headaches were no joke.

Oh. I did not know. Thanks for sharing. Hope all goes well.
After Moderna round 2, I was not very mobile the next day. I could have toughed through things if necessary, but the fatigue and headaches were no joke.
Yes. Completely different experiences for Moderna vs Pfizer in this thread alone.

Stay safe, out there, folks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm another #ModernaArm survivor and was pretty unhappy to be in the woods within 6 hours in below freezing weather trying to care for clients/climb trees to set up ridgelines/generally be active because of the outdoor lifestyle with pretty severe headache, nausea, fatigue, and arm pain. Strongly support people proactively taking time off to take care of themselves.

Spouse had no effects from Pfizer #1 or Pfizer #2, and was feeling pretty smug until 2 days after Pfizer #2 when the nausea hit. Resting now! Everyone should give themselves a break after these vaccines. I had fatigue, sore arm, food aversion with Moderna.

Yep, Moderna #1 had me out for 3 days last time so I’m just prepping ahead. I was running a full on fever last time with N/V/D, headache, fatigue so it wasn’t pretty. I’m 8 hours post shot and only have the incredibly sore arm + headache, so crossing my fingers things might be different this go around.

Yep, Moderna #1 had me out for 3 days last time so I’m just prepping ahead. I was running a full on fever last time with N/V/D, headache, fatigue so it wasn’t pretty. I’m 8 hours post shot and only have the incredibly sore arm + headache, so crossing my fingers things might be different this go around.
Most people I know who had a hard time the first shot had a much better second shot. Hoping that is true for you!

Update on Moderna #2 - was okay for the first day. Wrecked me overnight. Woke up literally every single hour with chills and muscle aches that were so bad they woke me up :( Fever, dizziness, nausea, headache, muscle aches on day 2. Honestly glad I called out because I couldn't even walk straight from my room to the bathroom lol......

Update on Moderna #2 - was okay for the first day. Wrecked me overnight. Woke up literally every single hour with chills and muscle aches that were so bad they woke me up :( Fever, dizziness, nausea, headache, muscle aches on day 2. Honestly glad I called out because I couldn't even walk straight from my room to the bathroom lol......

This happened to me but with Pfizer #1. I also had some wacky *** dreams. Disclaimer: I am not the most robust individual to begin with.

This happened to me but with Pfizer #1. I also had some wacky *** dreams. Disclaimer: I am not the most robust individual to begin with.
Same here with the dreams! But I find the dreams are def related to news articles I’ve read throughout the day. Given the state of the world right now it has led to some twisted nightmares :(

for anyone who is going wtf you sound like a delicate creature- I’m in the midst of getting an unknown autoimmune disorder diagnosed. So my body tends to overreact to everything anyways :( Can’t do more testing during all this because well, my real immune system is kind of in use.

Well two weeks after my J&J I’m still having headaches constantly. The urgent care thought it could be stress, but they had bloodwork done just to be safe since the vaccine was paused. Everything came back normal, so no one really has ideas for why I’m still having these headaches. Really regretting getting the vaccine before finals now 😅

Well two weeks after my J&J I’m still having headaches constantly. The urgent care thought it could be stress, but they had bloodwork done just to be safe since the vaccine was paused. Everything came back normal, so no one really has ideas for why I’m still having these headaches. Really regretting getting the vaccine before finals now 😅

Don't worry, it's probably just cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.

Anyone got a booster? I think it's on the very near horizon for me with the Moderna approval today. Wondering if people have had side effects.

Anyone got a booster? I think it's on the very near horizon for me with the Moderna approval today. Wondering if people have had side effects.
I got the Pfizer booster almost 2 weeks ago. I personally had minimal side effects (sore arm and that's about it), but I've had friends with more flu-like symptoms or headaches that resolved within 24 hours I believe.

I got a pfizer booster yesterday. Sore arm, feel slightly "off," but not anywhere significant enough to, say, cancel a session.

I got the Pfizer booster and had the exact same side effects as my second dose - flu-like symptoms, fever, chills, muscle pain, etc. Wouldn't have been able to work if it had been a weekday.

I got the pfizer booster. I has minimal issues with the first two. This isn't causal because of a major confounding variable, but I had the chills really bad for the day after it bc of a fever. But, I may have also been catching the RSV that is going around daycare. BTW - RSV freaking sucks. I'm still coughing almost three weeks later.

Pfizer booster here -- wasn't as bad as the 2nd shot for me, but it took me about 24 hours before feeling "normal again". Sore arm, headache, and fever. Other classmates didn't have issues with it.

My work implemented a vaccine mandate. About fourteen, mostly nurses, decided to make a stink about it. They have until 11/1 to get it... I've got mixed feelings about it because we are already barely choochin' along with the skellington crew we have. I've even been making my own reminder calls.

But on the other hand, if they fired or suspended a couple of nonvaxers, I wouldn't be super sad because they're not really people who add much value to morale or what not. Some sticks will always be sticks in mud, no matter what.

A few of the more quality people have tried to get medical exemptions or are pregnant (which I totally understand hesitance for). But, my own pregnant wife just got her booster and the stories about pregnant women getting intubated and floor C-sections is terrifying.

My work implemented a vaccine mandate. About fourteen, mostly nurses, decided to make a stink about it. They have until 11/1 to get it... I've got mixed feelings about it because we are already barely choochin' along with the skellington crew we have. I've even been making my own reminder calls.

But on the other hand, if they fired or suspended a couple of nonvaxers, I wouldn't be super sad because they're not really people who add much value to morale or what not. Some sticks will always be sticks in mud, no matter what.

A few of the more quality people have tried to get medical exemptions or are pregnant (which I totally understand hesitance for). But, my own pregnant wife just got her booster and the stories about pregnant women getting intubated and floor C-sections is terrifying.

F those mouth breathers. Go work for a naturopath where you belong if you don't want the vaccination. My pregnant spouse also just got a booster a few weeks ago. After seeing some of those reports from pregnant women down south, in addition to the safety data, a no-brainer.

I got my third dose. No side effects except a burning desire to promote the liberal agenda.

I got my third dose. No side effects except a burning desire to promote the liberal agenda.
My third dose made me hate eating meat and turned me into a raging globalist.