coworker error reporting issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dealing with difficult people in school, power dynamics are different, usually the smart mouth or the strongest one wins. Workplace struggles are more nuanced and snake in the grass.

I've recently discovered that a new person is reporting everyone's errors to the boss, unsolicitied. He/she will print screen and write detailed notes about the problem, putting it in a folder on the boss's door. (The boss is not strict about errors, but company policy is and is constantly shifting.) No one else in the pharmacy does this, and we do not even know the protocol.

How can one remedy this problem: quietly remove several of my reports from the public folder after hours, approach politely and inquire about their opinion and state my preference, don't mention anything but take out the bad notes, collect mistakes by the coworker and mention that as far as I'm concerned when I discovered it I fixed it and that is the end of the story, confront and firmly ask the coworker to stop? I don't think there is malice from him/her, as him/her reports mistakes on everyone else, including him/her; however, he/she does not report all of their mistakes. I have noticed some that have not been reported. I think he/she is looking for validation through pharmacy as well as anal retentive tendencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dealing with difficult people in school, power dynamics are different, usually the smart mouth or the strongest one wins. Workplace struggles are more nuanced and snake in the grass.

I've recently discovered that a new person is reporting everyone's errors to the boss, unsolicitied. He/she will print screen and write detailed notes about the problem, putting it in a folder on the boss's door. (The boss is not strict about errors, but company policy is and is constantly shifting.) No one else in the pharmacy does this, and we do not even know the protocol.

How can one remedy this problem: quietly remove several of my reports from the public folder after hours, approach politely and inquire about their opinion and state my preference, don't mention anything but take out the bad notes, collect mistakes by the coworker and mention that as far as I'm concerned when I discovered it I fixed it and that is the end of the story, confront and firmly ask the coworker to stop? I don't think there is malice from him/her, as him/her reports mistakes on everyone else, including him/her; however, he/she does not report all of their mistakes. I have noticed some that have not been reported. I think he/she is looking for validation through pharmacy as well as anal retentive tendencies.

retail or hospital...ethics line stat!

Members don't see this ad :)
at cvs, if u don't report each n every dispensing error occurrence, you're terminated. at walgreens, no difference. every dispensing error lawsuits require full investigation. they cannot investigate if u are hiding info.

Every error or near miss should be reported so that everyone in the department can learn from it and not repeat the same mistake twice. Why are you taking it personally, especially if this person is ever reporting their own errors? They could just be concerned about the patients and wanting to improve care. Why are so many errors being made anyway? Maybe it's because no one was reporting them up until now, so you guys don't have safe practices or pharmacists who pay attention to detail.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh to me it sounds like the problem is that there isn't a good reporting system in place. Errors should be reported.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
this exactly - errors and near misses need to be reported and the root cause identified. A non-punitive culture is needed. Don't get caught removing your errors from the folder - that will make you look extremely bad.

I would talk to the manager about developing a way to report errors and learn from them

Reactions: 4 users
Where I work we are expected to report any medication errors that are discovered. The goal is to improve the system and figure out why something happened, as opposed to punishing an individual. If there is a repeated pattern of negligence versus an honest mistake, then corrective action would take place.

at most places, especially at big chain all errors lead to punishing an individual. A non-punitive culture does not exist in real world

Reactions: 2 users
at most places, especially at big chain all errors lead to punishing an individual. A non-punitive culture does not exist in real world
I guess that is the difference between chains and hospital - I have never seen a Rph punished for an error.

I personally have never seen this.
I guess that is the difference between chains and hospital - I have never seen a Rph punished for an error.
Don't believe everything you read online ;)

The error rate is infinitely low, beyond the possiblity of a computer in accuracy. This isn't retail, but I used to intern there. People have to deal with toxic environments by coping, which is what every pharmacy I know of does, including the one I work in before the new employee came in and is doing this secretly for obvious reasons. I'm glad Dred Pirate works in a great envirnoment, but every place I'm aware of is punitive.

I personally have never seen this.

Don't believe everything you read online ;)

lets just say if you make an error or found an error, you report it to, we will fixed the error, no harm was done to the pt (mostly pt will call tell you its different that i got last time or direction is different than what my MD said or its for something else), but you will get punished/ recorded in your file.

Last edited:
What happens to individual who don’t work for chain anymore but reported 1 to 3 dispensing errors while working in chain .I see few of my colleagues have dispensing errors posted on their Board website,Do they usually post errors on board website when a patient complains to the board or your supervisors can forward to board for punishing the pharmacist.

What happens to individual who don’t work for chain anymore but reported 1 to 3 dispensing errors while working in chain .I see few of my colleagues have dispensing errors posted on their Board website,Do they usually post errors on board website when a patient complains to the board or your supervisors can forward to board for punishing the pharmacist.

I have never heard of a supervisor reporting to the BOP. Anyone can report to the board (general public, technician, coworker, boss) but personally I just can't imagine a supervisor making a complaint to the board.

What your coworker is doing is actually a good thing. However, it's extremely annoying because no one has officially designated her/him to be the one who reports every error on everyone. If it's effecting workplace dynamics and team morale negatively, then it's ultimately not a good thing and your boss should be aware of that. Again, all errors should be reported whether drug makes it out of the pharmacy or not. If there is a policy on this, then that's what the staff should be doing. I mean, your co-worker has to know that's extremely annoying. It should be the honor system. You make an error. You reported. Your boss shares it with the rest of the class and everyone learns from it.

What happens when pharmacist is no longer with the company and what happens to dispensing errors reports .

What happens when pharmacist is no longer with the company and what happens to dispensing errors reports .
they send them to the board of pharmacy for your personal record

jk

what is your concern? If your company keeps them - it is in your file. Reports from a retail environment likely stay in a file somewhere,

Hospital - ours they will send them to you - but then shred them. Although if an official variance was filed, they are stored.

Unless the error makes it to the Board of pharmacy, you don't have to worry about a prospective employer finding out about it. Employers pretty much just confirm dates of employment. That's it

I am a PIC in retail and it's simple; me or any RPh on duty fills a dispensing error report if they catch one and notifies who made the error. If it's consistent and systematic there shouldn't be a problem. Id never browbeat another RPh to not report an error I made nor do I let others slide. Never had an issue, and never gotten in trouble for it. I call my DM, tell him about it, he asks what happened then that's it.