CP Only Dilemna- MGH vs. U Wash (Seattle) vs. Other

Started by sorcha7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sorcha7

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all you Cp only gurus out in computer land, please dispense some advice to a most confused CP-only applicant regarding the MATCH. My top 2 candidates at present are MGH and Seattle (U Penn was on the list but I get the feeling that their dance card may already be full). My big interests are hemepath, molecular, and less so, micro. I want decent flexibility, but still good training. I'm MD/PhD, so also looking for great research, and likely fellowship. MGH seems like the better fit, but I'm concerned with too rigid a structure. Seattle, great all around except for the absence of a mol path fellowship. Other candidate still high on the list= Stanford, UCSF, and maybe Brigham. Any insights you have would be so very appreciated- on these issues or other ones I haven't mentioned/thought of.

Thanks for your help!
 
If you really like Penn, you should rank them highly (perhaps even #1) even if you think their "dance card is full." I think of the places you listed, Penn provides the best CP training.

I didn't visit UWash so I don't anything about their AP or CP.

MGH has very good CP training from what I hear. I would tend to think that MGH is one of the most balanced programs out there and is strong in CP.

Stanford - I have heard from other CP residents at other institutions that the CP at Stanford is virtually nonexistent.

UCSF - new CP campus in China Basin...supposed to be really up and coming. Great research!

Brigham - I heard Brigham has solid CP as well but I think they're more AP oriented.

Disclaimer - this coming from an AP only applicant. What I'm telling you is second-hand information and hopefully there is some shred of accuracy 🙂
 
CP-only, go where your research activities are going to be most plentiful and best supported. I can't give you specific advice on the programs because they are all good - many CP-only applicants are looking for a place that will give them as few clinical responsibilities as possible.