CPJE frustration.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdrph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently failed the CPJE, got a 71, and am trying to find a new way to prepare for the CPJE. I passed the NAPLEX, but apparently the clinical pharmacy material I studied was not enough for the CPJE. I am disappointed and confused about how to study for the CPJE. :confused: I used the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review book by Shargel and Apple & Lange, and Weissman for the law portion. For those who used prontopass, how long did you study them before you felt ready to take the exam? Any other advice on preparing for the CPJE? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey PharmDRPH

I am in the same boat as you. The first time I took it I got a 70. What I am doing new this time is reading the "Health Notes". I notice a few questions came from that packet.

I read all the packets except for the quality assurance health notes one.

There's questions on the back of each one of them too for review.

Chin up. I know it sucks to have to wait 90 days before you can retake it. To study and work at the same time is really difficult, especilaly with the high rent in california. I'm still waiting for notice that I can retake mines

I am in the same boat as you. The first time I took it I got a 70. What I am doing new this time is reading the "Health Notes". I notice a few questions came from that packet.

Hi jasmine0211,

Thanks for the feedback.

I read all the health notes in great detail prior to my CPJE, however I did not notice anything specifically from them on my version of the CPJE. I was thinking not to focus on them this time, but I guess I should.

The questions you noticed from the health notes, did they come from the review questions in the back of each one, or from the within the health notes articles?

Don't waste too much time reading the Health Notes, rather focus a little bit more on the latest issue of the Script. I didn't read the Health Notes and did fine on the CPJE. Also, go over the sample question that the vendor send to you because I got at least 7 or 8 exact questions out of that packet. Don't worry, most of the people that failed on the first attempt usually pass on the second try. Good luck on your exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste too much time reading the Health Notes, rather focus a little bit more on the latest issue of the Script. I didn't read the Health Notes and did fine on the CPJE. Also, go over the sample question that the vendor send to you because I got at least 7 or 8 exact questions out of that packet. Don't worry, most of the people that failed on the first attempt usually pass on the second try. Good luck on your exam.

Thanks JennyRx2007, your advice and experience with the CPJE is much appreciated. May I ask what materials you used for the clinical portion of the CPJE? I started studying the Prontopass quickcards and disease posters and they seem like they will be enough review. Any thoughts on Prontopass?

To be honest with you, I thought the questions on the CPJE was very random, thus no review book would really be sufficient to study for it. I didn't use pronto pass so I don't know how useful it is for the CPJE. For the clinical part, I used the same books that I used to study for the NAPLEX which was APHA and RX Prep. I also went on MicroMedex and looked at patient Care Notes to familiarize myself w/ the counseling points of the most commonly prescribed drugs as the CPJE tend to ask a lot of counseling points (at least on my version anyway). Don't get stressed out, that will only prevent you from doing your best on the test. Good luck

Hi, I am studying for both NAPLEX and CPJE. I am old and took Boards over 15 years ago but moved here so need to take the tests. I haven't practiced in a long time either b/c I had kids. Curious as to the vendor you are referring to that you had 7-8 questions. Thanks.

I recently failed the CPJE, got a 71, and am trying to find a new way to prepare for the CPJE. I passed the NAPLEX, but apparently the clinical pharmacy material I studied was not enough for the CPJE. I am disappointed and confused about how to study for the CPJE. :confused: I used the Comprehensive Pharmacy Review book by Shargel and Apple & Lange, and Weissman for the law portion. For those who used prontopass, how long did you study them before you felt ready to take the exam? Any other advice on preparing for the CPJE? Thanks!

May I ask what score did u get on the NAPLEX? Is it true that CPJE score = NAPLEX score -45? Thanks.

Hey PharmDRPH

Chin up. I know it sucks to have to wait 90 days before you can retake it. To study and work at the same time is really difficult, especilaly with the high rent in california. I'm still waiting for notice that I can retake mines
May I ask what was ur score on NAPLEX?

I am not sure where you got the CPJE score = NAPLEX score - 45. I had 126 on the naplex and I just found out I got a 72 on the CPJE. It was so depressing. I did well on the naplex so I figure I would also do well on the CPJE since both exams covered similar topics but the CPJE turned out to be 2x as hard as the naplex. Back to square one for me.

I am not sure where you got the CPJE score = NAPLEX score - 45. I had 126 on the naplex and I just found out I got a 72 on the CPJE. It was so depressing. I did well on the naplex so I figure I would also do well on the CPJE since both exams covered similar topics but the CPJE turned out to be 2x as hard as the naplex. Back to square one for me.
When did u take the NAPLEX and CPJE? Thanks for sharing.

I didn't have any working experience and still did well on NAPLEX. I heard CPJE is more experience based. Is it true? Thanks.

Has anyone taken the cpje recently.I took mine about 10 days ago and im still waiting for the results.

Last edited:

I used protopass for about 3 months... Review them about 3 times before CPJE... I also studied Weissman for the law portion.... (I only got 2 questions from law portion though)

I am a pharmacist from MI struggling to pass CPJE. I passed naplex but this darn CPJE.....anyone interested in study groups?

after finishing the exam, i didn't know what to think. i studied only from the apha book and did a single run-through of weissman. i also did a random picking through of iv drugs from rph world to find out common diluents, as i read from the sdn boards about a few hospital/inpatient based questions. i kinda feel that with cpje, you will either know the answer or not. i couldn't imagine how else to study for it. . . although, i probably would have bought a 'cpje guide' from cpjeguide2009gmail.com (search the forum to confirm email addy) as i heard that the guide is good for the clinical portion. as for the law portion, very few questions and those that were present, they were basic.

I took cpje 2 weeks ago and still waiting, my exam had at least 20 random law questions on topics that were not covered in weisman, and many rx verification of very obscure drugs that are not used to often, I would say I took an extremely difficult version of the exam