CPJE, Social Security Card, Long Name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imkanfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Hope someone can help me or has been in the same situation as me. I haven't taken the CPJE yet, but trying to get everything in order before I do. I know for the CPJE examination, the Board requires you to bring your social security card + another form of government issued ID and that your name has to match letter for letter. I went to the social security office and they had told me that there is a limit on the amount of characters you can fit on your social security card (my full name has 24 characters). So at the social security office i shortened my middle name so it will fit on the card. i tried going to the DMV to get my name shortened. they said that they can't do that because whatever is on your birth certificate is what they have to put on your DL or CA ID card. I have a passport and it also has my full name like my DL so I wouldn't be able to use that as well. The guy at the board was an ass and told me i had to figure out how to get another form of government ID issued without my true full name (which i'm not sure if you can do that). Please help! how do people with long names fit their name on their social security card!? or is there some other type of government issued ID where you don't have to put your full name!?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you will get much help on SDN. I suggest that you call the CA BOP and talk to your school (assuming you went to a pharmacy school in the U.S.).

thanks. yeah i got to school in the US. CA board has not been helpful at all. i think i'm just going to have to beg SS to do something to make it fit.

you know what you can try is go to the test site itself, tell them that you are going to take your exam soon and present what you have. bring your SSN card, 2 forms of picture ID. your passport and CA ID/DL. ask them if its acceptable (which i personally think it is) if not then ask them what OTHER forms of ID they want.
obviously you cant add any more characters to you SSN card, cross that out.
you cant change your real name to a shorter version on neither your passport nor your CA ID/DL, so cross that out.
what else can you do?!!
let us know what happens..

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! yeah i may just have to go there and beg! i went to another social security office a few weeks ago. the lady told me that definitely they can fit my whole name on the SS card but wasn't sure if the hyphen shows up on the card. we'll see what happens. they should be able to put hyphens on the card...i mean your SSN is hyphenated. we'll see! i'll beg! thanks for the advice

oh my goodness, imkanfused!! I am going thru similar hell with the IDs not matching. HOw did you end up resolving the problem?? please provide some advice! thanks