CPJE Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx_2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just thought I'd give people some study tips for the CPJE.

The CPJE test is random and every test is totally different. But I believe the best way to tackle studying is to study the BIG important chapters first, then go over the smaller chapters.

By BIG chapters I mean: Diabetes, HTN, ACS, Anticoag, Asthma/COPD, ID/HIV, Dyslipidemia, Osteoporosis, Oncology, Pain, Depression/Psychotics/Bipolar, GERD/PUD. For these chapters, study side effects/monitoring, be familiar with doses (Anticoag, DM, Dyslipid, HTN), brand/generic, renal dose adj.

Smaller chapters that you shouldn't over look is Ear/Eye, Skin, Allergic rhinitis, Smoking cessation, Immunization, Steroids, Epilepsy.

Random questions for Infectious Disease also include Refrigerate or not, Ren dose adj, Shake or don't shake, Pregnancy category, empty stomach or with food, MRSA/Pseudo coverage, UTI tx.

As for Law, I only received about 7 questions which were easy, should def study law and get these easy points. I only used Weissman to study, which was sufficient.

Any other questions, I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I took the naplex last week and I passed. Not sure where to start for the cpje ! I purchased the cpje Rxprep course, Weissman and I will be receiving the clinical charts this week. ( those were the most recommended materials )
Should I start with the law portion or I should alternate ? What was your study strategy ?
Thank you for your input !

One thing I wish I did was take the CPJE within a month after Naplex, while everything was still fresh in my head. But I studied clinical stuff and law on the same days. I studied clinical stuff (RxPrep) in the morning for about 4-5 hours, then for law read a couple chapters from Weissman. But there is no correct way, however this worked for me especially since I had to review RxPrep all over again.

Also, make sure u submit ur CPJE application asap, it can take up to 45 days to get approved to take the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I could pass them back to back but I had a family situation to deal with. Thank you for your advice . I will start my preparations tomorrow.
Have you used the clinical charts ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the naplex last week and I passed. Not sure where to start for the cpje ! I purchased the cpje Rxprep course, Weissman and I will be receiving the clinical charts this week. ( those were the most recommended materials )
Should I start with the law portion or I should alternate ? What was your study strategy ?
Thank you for your input !

have you passed?

For renal/dose adjustments do you know if they mostly asked for PO formulations or IV's? From my understanding CPJE is mostly community pharmacy based.

A few more questions about the CPJE
1) Do they ask about biosimilars? For example biosimilar of neupogen is granix. You cannot automatically substitute, you would have to call the physician or would need some sort of P&T committee approval.
2) What type of lab questions do they ask? For example phenytoin blood levels is suppose to be within 10-20mcg/ml. Certain drugs also alter normal body blood levels. For example phenytoin also increases GGT levels. Am I suppose to know normal GGT levels?
3) Do they ask a lot about cancer/chemo therapy drugs?
4) What type of equations do you need to know? For example CrCl, IBW, etc.
5) Do they ask a lot about combination name/brand generic drugs?
6) Counseling points and storage?
7) also i hate birth control, there are so many of them. what do you do when you miss a dose?

On the CPJE for renal adjustments, it could be either IV or PO, I would study both. I believe I had more PO on my exam.
1) I did NOT get any biosimiliar questions. But they could ask as a throw away question.
2) Yes they would have a script label with phenytoin and also provide you with lab values for phenytoin and albumin. They would ask if the lab value is within therapeutic range which requires u to do phenytoin correction formula to find true level of phenytoin. I didnt get anything on GGT levels tho.
3) I got only a couple easy chemo questions which asked about side effects of certain meds (i.e.: Cyclophosphamide) and I studied Onco really hard. Other classmates told me they got a lot more chemo questions (around 7-9 ?'s). So it would be good to know them just in case.
4) You should def know CrCl (esp for renal adj.), phenytoin formula, Calcium correction, etc. IBW i didnt use.
5) Yes combo esp for the HIV, and also some lesser know HTN combo drugs (i.e. Tarka, Vaseretic), and lesser know Diabetes combo drugs. (Deutact, Synjardy, etc. know all Metformin combo drugs)
6) theres a few questions on which drugs protect from light, refrigerate or not - these questions are on a script label so its not going to straight up ask does this drug need refrigeration. it'll ask dispense script as written, or don't dispense, invalid script, etc.
7) i didnt get any birth control ?'s thankfully, for these, it'll be more of a law questions such as (age, etc)

i typed this quickly, sorry for typos. let me know if u have any more questions.

I am confused on the Control Substance dispensing portion of C2 and C3-4 for California

According to Rxprep: Federal and California do not put any quantity limit for C2 drugs, but dont they issue a days supply limit? Their is a limit i am assuming for 30 days or less. The DEA also allowed prescribers to write multiple rxs which are filled sequentially but are NOT predated/post dated (must have same issue date) and cannot exceed 90 days supply. For example:

A doctor writes for Fentanyl 25mcg Patch Q72 hours with issue date of 7-18-2018. He can technically write for 2 additional rx's in california security form for fentanyl with the 2 additional stating the earliest fill date: not to fill earlier than 8-18-2018 and 9-18-2018. Is that Correct?

For C3's it states refilled up to 5 times within 6 months of date written and ALL refills taken together cannot exceed 120 days supply. The original fill does not count as a 'refill' towards the 120 days supply.

Example: Tylenol #3: 1-2 Tabs BID Prn Pain. #120 with 5 refills. Issue Date 5-18-2018. Patient can come back 5 additional times or will the patient reach a limit with 4 additional refill due to days supply limit?

Partial Filling. If patient comes in for the same Tyl #3 Rx, and only wants 20 tablets. The patient can come back to get another 20 tablets and another 20 tablets until original quantity has been reached to 120. Those 20 partial tablets do NOT count towards a refill, am i correct?

Last edited:
You can sell hypedermic needles WITHOUT a rx to a person who is 18 or older as a public health measure to prevent transmission of certain diseases. There is no limit on the number of needles and syringes that is provided. However does their need to be RECORD keeping in the same manner as Sudafed, or to Pharmacys computer patients profile database? What if the person is 17 years old or younger. Does the pharmacy need to call the authorities, or the childs parents?

I am confused on the Control Substance dispensing portion of C2 and C3-4 for California

According to Rxprep: Federal and California do not put any quantity limit for C2 drugs, but dont they issue a days supply limit? Their is a limit i am assuming for 30 days or less. The DEA also allowed prescribers to write multiple rxs which are filled sequentially but are NOT predated/post dated (must have same issue date) and cannot exceed 90 days supply. For example:

A doctor writes for Fentanyl 25mcg Patch Q72 hours with issue date of 7-18-2018. He can technically write for 2 additional rx's in california security form for fentanyl with the 2 additional stating the earliest fill date: not to fill earlier than 8-18-2018 and 9-18-2018. Is that Correct?

Edit: I just realized I answered a completely different question earlier lol. I thought you were asking about CII partial fills for some reason, it's too early in the morning lol. Anyways, I believe your are correct.

Source: SECTION IX-XIV

What I originally answered (thinking you were asking about partial CII fills)

Well, as of right now, my understanding is that when you do a partial fill for a CII, then you have 72 hours to dispense the remaining portion and the prescription expires. This can be done only if you're pharmacy runs out of the medication, but knows they will get more in the next 72 hours.

Source: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/laws_regs/1745_15dmt.pdf

However, this law will change on July 1st, 2018 (see below):

Section 4052.10 is added to the Business and Professions Code, to read: (a) A pharmacist may dispense a Schedule II controlled substance, as listed in Section 11055 of the Health and Safety Code, as a partial fill if requested by the patient or the prescriber. (b) If a pharmacist dispenses a partial fill on a prescription pursuant to this section, the pharmacy shall retain the original prescription, with a notation of how much of the prescription has been filled, until the prescription has been fully dispensed. The total quantity dispensed shall not exceed the total quantity prescribed. (c) Subsequent fills, until the original prescription is completely dispensed, shall occur at the pharmacy where the original prescription was partially filled. The full prescription shall be dispensed not more than 30 days after the date on which the prescription was written. Thirtyone days after the date on which the prescription was written, the prescription shall expire and no more of the drug shall be dispensed without a subsequent prescription. (d) The pharmacist shall record in the state prescription drug monitoring program only the actual amounts of the drug dispensed. (e) The pharmacist shall record the date and amount of each partial fill in a readily retrievable form and on the original prescription, and shall include the initials of the pharmacist who dispensed each partial fill. (f) A pharmacist may charge a professional dispensing fee to cover the actual supply and labor costs associated with dispensing each partial fill associated with the original prescription. (g) This section shall not be construed to limit the authority of the Department of Managed Health Care, pursuant to Chapter 2.2 (commencing with Section 1340) of Division 2 of the Health and Safety Code. (h) This section is not intended to conflict with or supersede any other requirement established for the prescription of a Schedule II controlled substance. (i) For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply: (1) “Original prescription” means the prescription presented by the patient to the pharmacy or submitted electronically to the pharmacy. (2) “Partial fill” means a part of a prescription filled that is of a quantity less than the entire prescription. (j) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2018

Source: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/laws_regs/new_laws.pdf

This basically means that after July 1st 2018; a pharmacist may partially fill a CII on request of a patient or prescriber (ex. when a patient cannot afford the full price of the medication) and this places a 30 day expiration date on the prescription. So, once the partial fill is done, the patient has 30 days to either request partially fills again or completely fill the prescription.

For C3's it states refilled up to 5 times within 6 months of date written and ALL refills taken together cannot exceed 120 days supply. The original fill does not count as a 'refill' towards the 120 days supply.

Example: Tylenol #3: 1-2 Tabs BID Prn Pain. #120 with 5 refills. Issue Date 5-18-2018. Patient can come back 5 additional times or will the patient reach a limit with 4 additional refill due to days supply limit?

Yes, I think California just follows Federal law for this. So that's correct for C3 and C4 medications, but C5 medications do not have this limit if I recall correctly. This means you can only fill 4 more refills before you hit the day supply limit of 120 days, so that last 5th refill is invalid. So with your example, that #120 tablets will be a 30 day supply and the doctor authorized 5 more refills. Well that means (not including the original fill) that is a 150 day supply, which exceeds the 120 days supply limit, so that 5th refill cannot be filled and is invalid.

Source: 2005 California Health and Safety Code Sections 11200-11201 :: :: Article 4. :: Refilling Prescriptions

Partial Filling. If patient comes in for the same Tyl #3 Rx, and only wants 20 tablets. The patient can come back to get another 20 tablets and another 20 tablets until original quantity has been reached to 120. Those 20 partial tablets do NOT count towards a refill, am i correct?

Yes, correct, if a patient only gets a partial fill, it doesn't count towards the refill. My understanding is that a refill is defined as the full amount per fill authorized by the doctor. In your example, that would be #120 tablets for a 30 day supply, so if the patient picking up for the first time; only wants #20 tablets then the patient still has #100 tablets left for that fill.

Source: I got none, I just remember reading this somewhere.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I took the test yesterday. And I dont know what to make of it. It was nothing like what you guys described, and it was nothing like what i experienced the past 3 times. I felt it was 60% law. Dear lord I just want to pass. I promise if i pass, i will write the most comprehensive study tips to pass. I felt like i passed the past 3 times i took it but failed in reality. I feel like i kinda passed but most likely failed, so that means i am more likely to pass? If i dont pass the 4th time i am seriously going to abandon this. I dont have time for remedial classes and going back to pharmacy school. I work full time and have a job already and will need to pick some other career or win a lotto to move to cali.

I cant believe this exam has a 50% fail rate. That is a higher fail rate than naplex. Is their someone or some entity that i can complain to other than the california state board of pharmacy in regards to the boards ridiculous pharmacy law testing?

I took the test yesterday. And I dont know what to make of it. It was nothing like what you guys described, and it was nothing like what i experienced the past 3 times. I felt it was 60% law. Dear lord I just want to pass. I promise if i pass, i will write the most comprehensive study tips to pass. I felt like i passed the past 3 times i took it but failed in reality. I feel like i kinda passed but most likely failed, so that means i am more likely to pass? If i dont pass the 4th time i am seriously going to abandon this. I dont have time for remedial classes and going back to pharmacy school. I work full time and have a job already and will need to pick some other career or win a lotto to move to cali.

I cant believe this exam has a 50% fail rate. That is a higher fail rate than naplex. Is their someone or some entity that i can complain to other than the california state board of pharmacy in regards to the boards ridiculous pharmacy law testing?

60% law?? I thought this exam was mostly clinical with a few law questions. If you were close to 75 one of the other times, maybe you passed this one! Best of luck, man.

The test is 90, so 15 questions do not count. That means 75 questions are graded. From the 75, you can miss a total of 18 questions to get a 76%?

The test is 90, so 15 questions do not count. That means 75 questions are graded. From the 75, you can miss a total of 18 questions to get a 76%?
It's scaled. No set number if questions you can miss. Also 15 aren't counted

That means I can miss 5 and still fail or miss 20 and still pass out of the 75 questions that count ?

I have a question regarding the CPJE exam. Does the exam go by ACC/AHA guidelines for hypertension or JNC 8 ? This is my third attempt and I been going by JNC 8, but I felt like they been going by ACC/AHA the whole time.

One of my past question that I was stuck on was a white 65 yo men with no disease state condition and blood pressure 140/90 on amlodipine for two weeks. What should you do? If I was going by JNC 8 I would d/c his amlodipine/ or keep current therapy because he under 150/90 and at goal. But if it was going by ACC/AHA, then you need to add a second agent. .

I have a question regarding the CPJE exam. Does the exam go by ACC/AHA guidelines for hypertension or JNC 8 ? This is my third attempt and I been going by JNC 8, but I felt like they been going by ACC/AHA the whole time.

One of my past question that I was stuck on was a white 65 yo men with no disease state condition and blood pressure 140/90 on amlodipine for two weeks. What should you do? If I was going by JNC 8 I would d/c his amlodipine/ or keep current therapy because he under 150/90 and at goal. But if it was going by ACC/AHA, then you need to add a second agent. .

Hey , I took the exam on 5/10/18. I am not sure on that as well, but I assume ACC/AHA since the new guideline was publish in 2017 compare to JNC 8, which has not been updated since 2014. My school only taught me JNC 8 though. That question seem kind of black and white and may be a tester question that may have been thrown out (1/15). Hopefully someone has a direct answer to your question cause I would like to know too since I used JNC 8 on all my answers on the 5/10/18 exam(sadly probably failed for sure now).

I called CaliforniaBOP and they say refer to the study outline and they can’t answer anything else. Outline don’t have any info on which one they test on. I think I will be using the 2017 guideline as it more recent for this coming exam.

I sort of feel cheated since this is my third attempt. My first attempt I was 74% and second I did way worst than first attempt due to the 90 day gap to retake. Third time hopefully is the deal breaker.

Hey guys,
I have a simple question for you, how is the market demand for pharmacist in California now a days?
I’m pharmacist in Florida and the openings here is so limited and there is no good offers