Cpje

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esther

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMG, I just took CPJE yesterday and it was tough. This should not be called a law exam. I passed NAPLEX easily and thought CPJE would not be that bad. It was like my NAPLEX but 3x harder. Does anyone know how many questions you can miss and still pass? I would hate to have to retake that exam again.

Members don't see this ad.

hi esther,

I am taking the cpje in two weeks. Can you please give me some idea of cpje.
my naplex was very easy so now i am really worried about my cpje.
your help will be appreciated.

thanks

I just recently took both exams and I barely passed the CPJE with a 77 (*75 is passing*).... i thought the NAPLEX was insanely useless in application and thought the test was CRAZY but passed that with a 106.

be SURE to study the format of the CPJE questions in the yellow book that they sent to you from the PSI Licensure "Candidate Information Bulletin".
I swear i had at least 2 or 3 questions that were practically verbatim from the booklet (which was nice.)

Definitely study the Weissmann book (order it from the USC bookstore) and know the times for recordkeeping (community RX filing, inpatient, etc.) and be familiar with the rules for inter-state transfer of RX's.

There's no actual number you can definitely miss and pass, since the scores are scaled and it depends on who is taking the exam at the same time as you. I for one was SHOCKED to get my results so quickly (11 days after taking the CPJE, 5 days after taking the NAPLEX!) ... the CPJE was under "QA review" for a while and a few friends had to wait a long time before getting results!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is a set number of questions you can miss. I thought the NAPLEX was more random and in some way harder than the CJPE. I had 91 on the CJPE. The NAPLEX questions tend to be out of nowhere but the CJPE questions are predictable and clear if you know how drug A is different from drug B.

Last edited:
Did anyone else just recently take CPJE? Your comments/advices are greatly appreciated. :luck:

There's a useful PDF on the board of pharm website that outlines the mysterious scoring for the CPJE:

The California State Board of Pharmacy

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/det_passing_scores.pdf

It still doesn't really explain how it works exactly, but it tells you what the score is NOT.

if the link above does not work, just google
"naplex california gov passing score"
and it is the first hit.

Hey guys,

I just took the cpje last friday.
It was tough.
They asked mainly brand-generic, monitoring , storage and auxillary labels.
Anytook the cpje this last week?
Please post your result.
I am anxiously waiting for my result now. I heard they u can get your result in 5 days. Two of my friends get their result just in 5 days.

I just recently took both exams and I barely passed the CPJE with a 77 (*75 is passing*).... i thought the NAPLEX was insanely useless in application and thought the test was CRAZY but passed that with a 106.

be SURE to study the format of the CPJE questions in the yellow book that they sent to you from the PSI Licensure "Candidate Information Bulletin".
I swear i had at least 2 or 3 questions that were practically verbatim from the booklet (which was nice.)

Definitely study the Weissmann book (order it from the USC bookstore) and know the times for recordkeeping (community RX filing, inpatient, etc.) and be familiar with the rules for inter-state transfer of RX's.

There's no actual number you can definitely miss and pass, since the scores are scaled and it depends on who is taking the exam at the same time as you. I for one was SHOCKED to get my results so quickly (11 days after taking the CPJE, 5 days after taking the NAPLEX!) ... the CPJE was under "QA review" for a while and a few friends had to wait a long time before getting results!

Good luck!

Can you tell me when you took your NAPLEX and CPJE? I took the NAPLEX on Nov. 7th and CPJE on Nov. 15th. (The NAPLEX was much harder than I remembered from 7 years ago.) I think it's just me being paranoid...but does the length of time for score reporting hint at whether or not you've passed?

I'm thinking it takes 2 weeks for NAPLEX and 1 month for CPJE results, but it sounds like quite a few number of people here have gotten it much sooner. So, since I've yet to see NAPLEX scores...I thought I'd ask.

I completely agree that the NAPLEX was totally random and useless. I left the exam feeling horrible about myself and 7 years of practice experience. However, the CPJE was not too bad. It was still tough, but it's on par with the situations that can be encountered at work.

Can you tell me when you took your NAPLEX and CPJE? I took the NAPLEX on Nov. 7th and CPJE on Nov. 15th. (The NAPLEX was much harder than I remembered from 7 years ago.) I think it's just me being paranoid...but does the length of time for score reporting hint at whether or not you've passed?

I'm thinking it takes 2 weeks for NAPLEX and 1 month for CPJE results, but it sounds like quite a few number of people here have gotten it much sooner. So, since I've yet to see NAPLEX scores...I thought I'd ask.

I completely agree that the NAPLEX was totally random and useless. I left the exam feeling horrible about myself and 7 years of practice experience. However, the CPJE was not too bad. It was still tough, but it's on par with the situations that can be encountered at work.

NYC to LA:
I took the CPJE on 11/1 and CPJE on 11/6 (Why did you have to take it twice? just wondering.)
My letter from the board telling me that I passed arrived on 11/12 (letter was dated 11/11). I was SHOCKED that it was that fast! BTW, the letter said that I passed both exams... the CPJE and the NAPLEX.

I've been told that getting NAPLEX results is pretty fast- but the CPJE took a while during the summer (for my friends) b/c they CPJE was undergoing "Quality Assurance".
Now they seem to be OK. So, i don't think that the time lag gives any indication of if you passed or not.
I agree with you, the CPJE questions made sense and i totally felt OK about it, but was surprised my score was so low (77, 75 is the cutoff for passing.)

Somehow, the envelope I got from the board included both of my test results, which I was surprised about.
Good luck... hang in there, if they're working at this rate, it sounds like you should get your 'pass' letters by the end of this week?

At this point, I'm waiting for my name to show up on the pharmacy.ca.gov website!!!!!

Thanks Apteka! By the way, I never said Congratulations!
I graduated in 2001, so that's why I've taken the NAPLEX before. But, since Cali didn't allow me to reciprocate, I had to take it again. (It really was nerve wracking having to study everything after being out of school for a while...and it's much more clinical now.)
After I posted the previous message, I actually checked my mail and got my NAPLEX score. (I just moved to LA and forgot that the board still has my nyc address, so it had to be rerouted.) It was unbelievable -- but I passed -- and with a much higher score than I predicted :D
That's great that you got both your scores at the same time. That means the board is on top of things. I read the link that you posted for how they score the CPJE. It sounds like they scale between different exam forms, but not by much with raw score. So, I will wait for my CPJE results before I say too much about how "fair" the exam was :cool:

Hey guys,

Anyone got their cpje result who took it in nov-14 .
I am anxiously waiting for my result.

please post ur result here.

Hey guys,

Anyone got their cpje result who took it in nov-14 .
I am anxiously waiting for my result.

please post ur result here.

I'm still waiting...took the cpje on 11/15 and still no letter as of today. I also sent in an address change form on 11/19 which may have only delayed things even more.

Are the actual exam questions really just like the sample CPJE questions? I thought they weren't too bad, seems like you could get a lot of them just by working in a retail pharmacy for a bit. I didn't think these questions were harder than the NAPLEX which was so random and so clinical....

I am writing the CPJE tomorrow.... wish me luck!

Question: How long do you have to keep rx records of controlled substances? 2 years? and for regular prescriptions? 3 years??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am writing the CPJE tomorrow.... wish me luck!

Question: How long do you have to keep rx records of controlled substances? 2 years? and for regular prescriptions? 3 years??

All community pharmacy rx records are kept for 3 years from the date of last filling. It's the DEA form 222 records that are kept for 2 years.

Good luck tomorrow!

anyone hear anything from the board???????

are they on vacation until 09?????????

Hi guys,
I just got my result a few days ago and I did not make it this time. I am really confused right now because I do not know what I need to study for the second time. I studied most of materials from APhA book and the law part from Weissman book. I think I missed out a few subjects in the CPJE (hospital IV, storage, etc.). It seems to me that I could not find any of those info for those questions from the APhA book. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm confident about clinical stuffs but those would not be enough to get me through this exam. If someone is going to take this exam and need a study partner, please let me know ( I live in OC area).

Thanks

Hi rxgreek,

Can u please tell me when did u take the exam and how long it takes for u to get the result?
I took the exam in second week of november and I am waiting for my result.

I called the BOP today. (Specifically asking if my score might have been sent to the wrong address.) I was told that my score could take up to 30 days to be released (duh!). After more probing I was told that my letter "should" have gone out today. (Mother of pearl! Does anything move quickly around here?!)

my assumption

they mail out the results in bulk

if they mailed out "today".......then our norcal friends should receive tomorrow and we (socal) should get ours wednesday

as soon as it comes, im going to overnight my check/intern license

*fingers crossed*

if it took this long to just get the results, i wonder how long they will take to post up our license #'s online so we can work!!!!!!

at this rate......march 2009???? hopefully by 2010???????? :laugh:

Last edited:
I took CPJE on 11/24 and still waiting for my result...Did anyone get the result? I am just curious since CA BOP takes forever to release it

I hate them!!! I was obviously given false information. I've been checking the mail like 3 times a day. Still nothing...I'm dying over here!!! I've never not worked for this long. This bites!!! So much for Christmas shopping!!!
(I don't care who's reading...CA BOP = Scrooge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:)

It seems like everything operates at snail pace in CA.. when I moved here I couldn't even sit for the board exams.. it took the CA DMV over a year to send me my Driver's License, so I had no "current" govt. issued photo ID so I couldn't even be admitted to the testing center. I would have just kept my driver's license from my previous state and sat for the boards if I had known what a nightmare it would be, but being the good citizen that I was I went and applied for the CA driver's license right when I moved. DMV said it'll take 5-6wks.. I waited and waited, nothing... so I call them, they said they're still verifying my "legal presence" should only take another month or so.. so I waited again, called again, made multiple trips to the DMV and nothing.. this vicious cycle kept going for months and nobody could give me an answer, so somebody finally told me to contact DMV headquarters in Sacramento. When I contacted DMV headqtrs, they said they didn't have my "alien number" on file, and I told them "that's because I'm a citizen, I don't have an alien number" and then they said they didn't have record of that either.. so then of course I was asking myself "what the heck have you been verifying if you didn't have a record on file?".. so I kept my cool and refaxed them my citizenship certificate. Of course even after that, nothing.. so I kept calling them and they kept telling me they couldn't do anything because "homeland security has not given us a response verifying your legal presence"... so then of course a year creeps up and I had to resubmit another driver's license application and send in a renewal of my pharmacist application, since both applications are good only for a year. Anyhow, as all of this was happening.. I tried to apply for a passport and that didn't go well either it took a couple tries before they got it right.. so after several hundreds of dollars and a year+ of lost time and income I should have been making.. what a nightmare.. anyhow, didn't mean to get carried away ranting and raving.. it's still a sore spot :mad:

Wow...I'm sorry you had to go through all that! :oops: Now I don't feel so bad. Nobody has been allowed to mention the word DMV around me. I practically lived at the DMV for lack of adequate information about the California process. I too wondered why I didn't just keep my old driver's license (good until 2010) and my car registration (just purchased and registered one month before my cross country move). I really thought that California had a thing against out-of-state people.
I rushed around to get my identifications in order…sucked it up and took the New NAPLEX after being out of school for over 7 years…stood at the social security office to have my middle name fixed so I wouldn't miss my CPJE test date…and now I'm just twiddling my thumbs and waiting. Back in college at Rutgers, whenever nothing went right, we called it the RU-Screw. I've decided to call this the Cali-Screw. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I wish there is some superior authority that we can complaint about CA BOP...not sure why they make it so difficult for us to get license in CA...

:rolleyes: It's not entirely the board's fault... they're short staffed.. as for the other govt. agencies.. well, when have they ever NOT been slow..

The prior stated "should've" meant diddly-squat. According to board receptionist again just now: "The results ended up being delayed and not mailed out this week. Maybe next week." That's over 30 days since I took the CPJE!

Will I know anything before Christmas?...reply was "There's no guarantee." Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. (No, no...I definitely feel a tear coming on.)

Is it just me??? Who else took the exam recently?...Cefzil...jawnly211...Rx2008...anyone else...SyrianPharmD?

i give up

it will come when it comes

my work asks me every morning but i tell them the same answer

my wife calls me when she gets home from work at 4pm and says the same thing........"it didnt come in the mail today"

i come to this site to see if there's an update.........but nada

board of pharmacy........i wave the white flag.........you win

i give up

The prior stated "should've" meant diddly-squat. According to board receptionist again just now: "The results ended up being delayed and not mailed out this week. Maybe next week." That's over 30 days since I took the CPJE!

Will I know anything before Christmas?...reply was "There's no guarantee." Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. (No, no...I definitely feel a tear coming on.)

Is it just me??? Who else took the exam recently?...Cefzil...jawnly211...Rx2008...anyone else...SyrianPharmD?
I took the exam 11/14...still waiting! This happened with my ATT number too, they screwed it all up and I couldn't take my exam for like 2 months...this waiting game is NO fun...grrrr

Hi
I took the exam on 11/14 and still waiting for my result.
I am checking board's website but they did not mention anything about QA.
I don't know why it took so long to get the result.
It's been now more than 30 days.
Anyone in this forum got the result............ nyc to la or jawlny
please please post ur result as soon as u get it.

I had a friend who took the cpje middle of nov. around the 15-20th I can't remember exactly, and he just got the results today.

i took exam nov 21

got results yesterday (17)

passed by the skin of my teeth

just glad its all over......finally

hint......when u get ur envelope and the paper through the address screen is GREEN, then u passed :luck:

i overnighted my 150 fee and intern license so im hoping they will post up the license # online soon

i took exam nov 21

hint......when u get ur envelope and the paper through the address screen is GREEN, then u passed :luck:

i overnighted my 150 fee and intern license so im hoping they will post up the license # online soon
I don't get it...I took it Nov 14 and still haven't gotten a letter...and ppl who took it later get thier results earlier?? The board is so jacked up...

i took exam nov 21

Congrats BTW =)

Congratulations! Waiting for the board to finally post your license number online is another battle.

Finally, CPJE result arrived....Yah, the green sheet inside indicates you have passed....even before opening the envelop. I am so relieved now...and just waiting for posting my license.
Good luck everyone....we just have to deal with what we can have..

Yay!! I got my letter Wednesday and the paper was green too. I barely passed...which was upsetting...but whatever, I'm relieved as well. Don't EVER want to do that again!!!

I don't really understand what took them so long. My exam was 11/15. The letter was dated 12/6 and the postmark date wasn't until 12/15. I just sent my check certified. (Overnight might have been a better idea though.) Hopefully, the few staff members at BOP haven't left the office for the remainder of the year. :cool:

Hey guys,

I got my result today. I passed the cpje with score of 85.
I am so happy
Thanks all of you for the support.
This forum helps me a lot
good luck

I forgot to say Congratulations Everyone!!! I am happy that I joined this forum. It was so nice not having to go through this ordeal alone. :thumbup:

I took cpje last oct 08, but i failed. I already reapplied and approved to retake. I know that 90 days will have to pass before you can re sched but yesterday when i paid the exam fee, psi is allowing me to retake even before 90 days since my last exam.. anybody knows about this? please advice

I wouldn't do it. The CA Board of Pharmacy has all of these strict policies but they rarely enforce it. However, if they find out, which they will when they check your record, they may invalidate the results of your exam. I had to jump through muliple hoops with the Board. They are such a pain. PM me if you have other questions.

Cefzil
what material do I need to study for cpje?
please share what book did you use for the cpje.
if you need to sell your books,let me know.
thanks...
my email address; [email protected]

Hi
I took the exam on 11/14 and still waiting for my result.
I am checking board's website but they did not mention anything about QA.
I don't know why it took so long to get the result.
It's been now more than 30 days.
Anyone in this forum got the result............ nyc to la or jawlny
please please post ur result as soon as u get it.

Hi Jaehee9999,

I study APhA book, weissman book and I have books from passnaplenow people's which i took it for my naplex study.
Also, i have tarascon pharmacopiea handbook which i refer for dosing and some imp counselling like with food or without food.
Know ur drugs and their imp stuff like with or without food, some imp counselling , their storage , dosing . Antibiotics specifaclly which one in the refg and which one at RT.
I hope this will help you
good luck for the test