CPLEE Help: When to seek "consultation" vs. "supervision" vs. "refer out"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych1872

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hoping to get some advice from those of you that have passed the CPLEE previously, or are currently studying for it. I'm not sure if CA has state-specific rules around when to seek supervision vs. refer out, so I'd prefer to seek input for this post from psychologists seeking/or already with CA licensure, so as not to receive mixed or inaccurate advice from other states.

I'm preparing for the CPLEE exam with PsychPrep materials, and have also reviewed the actual CA state laws, and find the topic of when to seek consultation vs. supervision vs. refer out patients out quite confusing -- and seemingly very subjective. Psychprep materials say that psychologists should seek additional supervision "when applying newly learned techniques, working with a new pt population, or treating a pt in which you have no clinical experience, but have prior training in that area". By comparison, it says you should seek consultation when a psychologist is "somewhat familiar with a treatment for a particular diagnosis, but are not an expert in that area". For example, it gives that example of a psych who gets a referral for a pt with agoraphobia and is only "somewhat familiar with this dx and has little experience treating it, but lots of experience treating other anxiety disorders". However, for when to refer out, it says psychs should refer pts out when "therapists lack competence in treating a presenting problem....such as a psychoanalytic therapist treating a pt with a fear of driving".

Although these definitions make sense more or less -- when i've had practice exam questions, the answers of when to keep a pt vs. refer out or seek supervision vs. consultation seem MUCH more subjective and tricky. I'm wondering if anyone who has taken the CPLEE has any advice on these types of questions or how to decide what to do?

Thanks!

And, sucks I have to write this, but please, to the people who regularly post on this forum with generally snarky/unhelpful/rude comments -- no need to reply to this bid for help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with PsychPhDone, it's been a few years since I finished the CPLEE and I don't remember there being more than a question or two or three related to this topic. I do remember many questions dealing with confidentiality, with several specifically asking about confidentiality issues with minors/dependent adults and the circumstances under which you'd break confidentiality (e.g., questions about reported sexual behavior between minors and which specific ages/age gaps warrant reporting; and questions about how/to whom/when to report adult abuse if the dependent adult lives in a state facility vs. a private facility vs. living at home.

One big difference I think, is that answers to questions regarding the decision to seek supervision/consultation/or refer out are much more subjective compared to specific codified ages/age gaps for sex abuse among minors and timelines/places to report adult abuse. Wherever there are specific timelines/ages/steps laid out, be sure to know them.

Reactions: 1 user
I just passed the CPLEE today.
Here is my short answer:

You are Unlicensed > supervision
You have some knowledge and training on the task but need support to tailor it to the client > Consultation
You have very little training on that area and you don’t have the time to get trained > refer out

Reactions: 1 users