PhD/PsyD CPLEE study question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groupie123

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently studying for the CPLEE (California licensure exam). Unfortunately my materials were handed down and are a bit outdated (from 2013) which has been a bit of a pain. Specifically the materials talk about the California Psychological Supplemental Examination (CPSE) which I know no longer exists and any regulations that previously involved the CPSE I've had to find the updated version myself.

There's one section of the materials (related to licensure renewal) involving the CPSE I can't quite figure out. It goes like this "When the license has been expired for more than 3 years, to become licensed again in California a psychologist must apply for a new license and take either the California Psychology Supplemental Examination (CPSE) or the California Psychology Law and Ethics Examination (CPLEE). If the psychologist has been licensed for less than 5 years, the psychologist will need to pass the CPSE exam (again). However, if the psychologist has been licensed for at least 5 years, the psychologist will need to pass the CPLEE."

Obviously the law has changed given that the CPSE no longer exist. Does anyone know what the current laws are for licensure renewal after the license has been expired for more than 3 years? I've checked the Board of Psychology handbook of laws and regulations and couldn't find an answer. I've also checked their website and nothing. I've googled, searched in forums etc. but cannot find a straight answer. I am assuming that the current laws state you must take the CPLEE again if your license has been expired for more than 3 years but I don't want to have to assume... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

On my practice material this question came up. The answer was that they needed to pay all appropriate fee's and paperwork, complete the 36 unit CE requirement, and take the CPLEE.

Reactions: 1 user