CPR certification for med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only seen one med school (although I'm sure there are more) that requires CPR certification prior to starting MS-I.

With a traditional med school curriculum, when exactly do med students take a CPR/first aid class? Does it happen like right before clinicals begin or is it part of the first year curriculum? Or do they never really need to have it? How much do schools differ on this? Anyone know of the regulations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Trek 1 said:
I have only seen one med school (although I'm sure there are more) that requires CPR certification prior to starting MS-I.

With a traditional med school curriculum, when exactly do med students take a CPR/first aid class? Does it happen like right before clinicals begin or is it part of the first year curriculum? Or do they never really need to have it? How much do schools differ on this? Anyone know of the regulations?

Thanks!

Orientation, the week prior to medical school.

Recertification at the end of the second year (around the time that you take ACLS.)

You are required to have it to work in ANY hospital in the U.S. (per JHACO.)

at nova..we do the cpr during orientation...

Members don't see this ad :)
mikeypo0 said:
at nova..we do the cpr during orientation...

So if you are already certified prior to orientation, do you have to do it again? Is it just the regular old CPR ceritication that the Red Cross provides?

Im really not sure..i have yet to go to class..i have just looked at the orientation schedule for august..and on our last day it says CPR..so im assuming it's just the standard certification..so we can work in hospitals etc.

Dr Trek 1 said:
So if you are already certified prior to orientation, do you have to do it again? Is it just the regular old CPR ceritication that the Red Cross provides?

American Heart Association Healthcare Provider.

Even if you have the certification, you are required to take the course. I am a paramedic and not only had the certifications current, but am an instructor. I still had to take it.

OSUdoc08 said:
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider.

Even if you have the certification, you are required to take the course. I am a paramedic and not only had the certifications current, but am an instructor. I still had to take it.

Out of curiosity, are you keeping your paramedic certification current now that you will be a doctor? Or does current certification help your resume when applying for emergency medicine, etc.?

It is useful to have everyone take it at the same time so everyone expires at the same time. Thus the school only needs to do ONE recert class and no one lapses (could you imagine the bad press if a medical school had a med student lapse on CPR?).

Dr Trek 1 said:
Out of curiosity, are you keeping your paramedic certification current now that you will be a doctor? Or does current certification help your resume when applying for emergency medicine, etc.?

It's the paramedic experience that counts, as a current certification would be of no use. I will put the paramedic experience on my resume. My paramedic certification expires at the beginning of my third year, but my scope of practice will be well beyond that of a paramedic at that point, anyway.

There is no value of keeping a certification current unless you plan on working in EMS outside of school.