CPR Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingagain

Soon to have no life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just did the CPR today at the American Red Cross because my med school requires it. 7 hours of puffing on a dummy! Anyone else have to do this for their school?

Members don't see this ad.

hmm, interesting. I haven't been told to do this but then I haven't heard of this being a common requirement. Which school wanted this (if you don't mind..) just curious

University of Kentucky (Wildcats Baby!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it's great. i have a friend who's just finishing up 2nd year at harvard and has not been taught cpr. i can't imagine why somewhere in 2 years they can't take a couple hours out of the curriculum to teach it, or at least offer it optionally.

Pitt does it in the first year then again at the end of second year.

I had CPR training during orientation week first year. I just recertified in preparation for residency.

I have to take it but I am procrastinating (as I always do.) I want to get my immunization out of the way first, because the deadline for immunization is earlier than for the CPR course... Was it boring?

Fastidious.

i think most schools require cpr. i know dartmouth does, and the girl i work with has to take it for NYCOM.

it sucks b/c i just let my old one expire so i have to take the FULL LOOOOONG course instead of the quickie refresher. pooop. :mad:

i'm an instructor, so i can just keep recertifying myself in cpr if i want :D

Originally posted by carrigallen
i'm an instructor, so i can just keep recertifying myself in cpr if i want :D

ohhhhhhh, sure. RUB IT IN, why doncha?? ;)
meanwhile, i will be spending a beautiful saturday kissing some plastic doll. woohoo.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
hmm, interesting. I haven't been told to do this but then I haven't heard of this being a common requirement. Which school wanted this (if you don't mind..) just curious

You want to be a doctor yet you have never had an interest in even doing the most BASIC thing? Get out there and get your CPR for the Professional Rescuer card. It takes ~7-8hours with the Red Cross and its fun.

Originally posted by CharlesCA
You want to be a doctor yet you have never had an interest in even doing the most BASIC thing? Get out there and get your CPR for the Professional Rescuer card. It takes ~7-8hours with the Red Cross and its fun.

:rolleyes: I didn't say I had "never had an interest" I said I hadn't heard of it being a req. - for the record I am a CPR instructor...so bite me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone run into a problem with who accredits the CPR program? The last hospital I worked at would only accept AHA certification, not ARC...

mdf

In most medical settings it is expected that you have AHA certification. I used to teach ARC classes and the content is the same, but they are generally thought to be "community" courses.

i'm an EMT, and we have to get AHA and ACR re-certification, so I'm golden.

Now if only I could get in to medical school...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by tryingagain
Just did the CPR today at the American Red Cross because my med school requires it. 7 hours of puffing on a dummy! Anyone else have to do this for their school?

Yup, UVa also requires CPR/EAD certification submitted before matriculation. I did mine with the Red Cross a while ago. I was fun and useful.:)

Just remember that if you are signing up for the AHA class on your own, you may need to get the HCP (health care provider) certification. It includes CPR for adults, children, and infants as well as AED.

--Greg

Trying Again,
Enjoy your freedom will it lasts. The 2nd and 4th years are gone and the lounge is full of just us 1st years and the 3rd years. We're starting to plan some fun things for you guys during orientation week....we'll be throwing a party and doing other outings each day, such as bars, etc, and I think we're going to plan a picnic for once you guys are knee deep in anatomy...but before you start to flip out. ;)

By the way, a lot of us are saving our books to sell to the incoming 1st years, so don't rush to the bookstore on day 1. We'll give you deals.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
i'm an EMT, and we have to get AHA and ACR re-certification, so I'm golden.

Now if only I could get in to medical school...:rolleyes:

Preachin' to the choir, See Tea. As a paramedic and ACLS instructor I have not had to sit in a CPR class for 5 years. It's all about who you know:D. Now, if I could get off these WL's...

If you do not have experience, however, the hours are worth it. By the way, at my hospital, if the physicians let their CPR lapse, their admitting privleges are suspended!

Just a little bump to get some clarification -

I let my CPR certificate expire so here I am preparing to take another course. My plan is to take the ARC "CPR for the Professional Rescuer" - which is the general class for medical personnel.

There was a discussion on how the AHA certification might be more appropriate for those enterering medical school. Could someone comment on which class would be better? My med school has no preference between the two, but I'd like to get the best training.

Thanks!

I only know AHA; my biased impression is that it is the most respected, most current etc. They are the folks who do ACLS as well, so they are connected with the whole spectrum of resuscitative programs.

But like I say, I weasel out of CPR classes with connections...

Not to be a dope, but I looked up AHA on google to find classes and several possibilities appeared.

So is it American Heart Association, Hospital Association, or what??

Thanks!

Originally posted by ironey
Not to be a dope, but I looked up AHA on google to find classes and several possibilities appeared.

So is it American Heart Association, Hospital Association, or what??

Thanks!

American Heart Association