CPT vs OPT for pre-doctoral internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user8111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm an international clinical psych Phd student and will soon have to make a decision on whether to use curricular practical training (CPT) or optional practical training (OPT) for my internship year. Does anyone have any experience or advice that could be helpful? My university's international office said that I'd likely be eligible for both. However, since internships are typically 1 year long, using my full time CPT would make me ineligible for using OPT down the line.

I'm hoping some international folks on this thread or internship directors/supervisors will be able to speak to this. I'm planning to stay in the US after degree completion (i.e., planning on applying to US postdocs during internship year). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Use CPT for 364 days for internship so you will still be eligible for OPT for postdoc.

Reactions: 4 users
I just wanted to say thank you for helping! I think I got it worked out like this (364 days of CPT and OPT for postdoc) - I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users