crabby referring residents/doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddieberetta

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just in response to the other thread I would like to comment that I seldom refuse a study (am at a tertiary center where everybody gets a CT). But what I have noticed is that when I try to get clinical information from the referring resident, I often get the most unbelievable attitude, as if I am asking solely to block the study...as if all my questions are meant to belittle or demean the referring doctor. Basically the vibe I get is 'stop bugging me and go look at the pictures.' NO! I am not trying to demean you or block the study (unless it is something clearly non-urgent like 'mets search or tumor f/u') I want the clinical information to interpret the scan better and compensate for my relative inexperience in radiology. I do not want to miss critical findings and I want to decide on a differntial in advance to pick the right imaging modality and protocol. Even for the non-urgent study I will probably do it, I just want a heads up about how sick the patient is as I might only get to reading it at 4 am...

I think as radiology residents we should strive to be helpful and polite, but it cuts both ways, and we should get more accurate information from referring doctors with less attitude/insecurity.

Members don't see this ad.

eddieberetta said:
Just in response to the other thread I would like to comment that I seldom refuse a study (am at a tertiary center where everybody gets a CT). But what I have noticed is that when I try to get clinical information from the referring resident, I often get the most unbelievable attitude, as if I am asking solely to block the study...as if all my questions are meant to belittle or demean the referring doctor. Basically the vibe I get is 'stop bugging me and go look at the pictures.' NO! I am not trying to demean you or block the study (unless it is something clearly non-urgent like 'mets search or tumor f/u') I want the clinical information to interpret the scan better and compensate for my relative inexperience in radiology. I do not want to miss critical findings and I want to decide on a differntial in advance to pick the right imaging modality and protocol. Even for the non-urgent study I will probably do it, I just want a heads up about how sick the patient is as I might only get to reading it at 4 am...

I think as radiology residents we should strive to be helpful and polite, but it cuts both ways, and we should get more accurate information from referring doctors with less attitude/insecurity.

Of course simple courtesey cuts both ways. I think you may see some attitude from referring doctors because they may be expecting to be mistreated by you the same way they have been mistreated by your fellow residents, either at your hospital, or elsewhere. Some radiology residents are kind and helpful, even when blocking a study. They are will explain why it may not be helpful and suggest an alternative. Most of the others project an "I don't care about you, or your patient; f*ck off." attitude. I suspect that's why they ended up in a field that limits contact with other human beings.

powermd said:
Of course simple courtesey cuts both ways. I think you may see some attitude from referring doctors because they may be expecting to be mistreated by you the same way they have been mistreated by your fellow residents, either at your hospital, or elsewhere. Some radiology residents are kind and helpful, even when blocking a study. They are will explain why it may not be helpful and suggest an alternative. Most of the others project an "I don't care about you, or your patient; f*ck off." attitude. I suspect that's why they ended up in a field that limits contact with other human beings.

Dude, don't take it personally. They have no clue what you do. They think all we do is sit and contemplate our navels while drinking coffee. Ask them a few pointed questions and eventually they'll get the drift. Or follow every line in your report with "recommend clinical correlation". They'll get the picture. Give it some time.

powermd said:

Oh, by the way,if they're still dicks by the end of the year, **** 'em, they're hopeless.