Crack DAT PAT time vs Real DAT time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penny49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished 10 tests on CDT PAT yesterday, the range is from 20 to 27. the average is like 23.

but I did CDT PAT almost have no time left. I thought in the real DAT we will have less cubes on cubes counting? (not sure) Should I speed up a little bit in the real DAT PAT test?

I almost did 100% on hole puncturing, 90%on top/front/button and keyhole and cube. But the angle ranking is like 50%, is there any suggestions on angle ranking? practice everyday? I only have one week time left. T_T

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry! You'll be fine! The angle ranking problems on the actual DAT are much, much easier than the ones in CDP.

Consider yourself done studying for the PAT portion. You will score 23+ if those are your real practice scores. I found the timing similar, maybe a tad faster to do the real DAT due to adrenaline. Get to polishing up your other sections, you will rock the PAT!

jealous of your scores! I have so much more work on PAT to do! I think with your CDP scores, you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really worry about the time management, sometimes I really stuck on some questions of pattern folding. I think if I can finished all the PAT question with 5 mins left, I can go back to check questions I marked, but for the Crack DAT PAT tests, I almost have no time left. (maybe 1 or 2 mins on some tests)

Consider yourself done studying for the PAT portion. You will score 23+ if those are your real practice scores. I found the timing similar, maybe a tad faster to do the real DAT due to adrenaline. Get to polishing up your other sections, you will rock the PAT!

I really worry about the time management, sometimes I really stuck on some questions of pattern folding. I think if I can finished all the PAT question with 5 mins left, I can go back to check questions I marked, but for the Crack DAT PAT tests, I almost have no time left. (maybe 1 or 2 mins on some tests)

One of the beauties of the PAT is that you can get a lot wrong and still do fine on it. I believe a 20 means you got roughly 77 out of 90 correct. So, you can get 13 wrong and still get a 20. When you know it will be a tough one, rule out as many as possible in 20 or 30 seconds, pick your best guess and move on.

Sections you should be making up a ton of time are angles, cube counting, and hole punch. Between the 3 you should spend less than 15 minutes.

You don't have to worry about time. The real one goes by much slower than CDP. CDP's cubes are very challenging and take far more time than the real thing. Just try your best and you'll probably end up with 5 minutes to spare. Also your scores are very promising. I averaged around 21 on CDP and got 23 on the real thing so you'll definitely score 20+ and with a bit of luck (like I had) you'll probably score over your CDP average.

Easier or more difficult?

yes I'm wondering the same thing, the hole punching on the CDP is totally killing me. They make the strangest folds, I end up skipping a lot of them because they take me too long and I want to get to the other sections so I can practice them.

CDP hole punches are maybe a little bit more difficult than the real thing. CDP's cubes, angles and hole punches are generally considered harder. Their TFE, Keyholes are considered easier. I thought their patterns were pretty much spot on.

I think your own your way to a top score. At this point its about being psychologically prepared to take the test. Try to spend some time practicing in an environment similar to test day.

I just finished 10 tests on CDT PAT yesterday, the range is from 20 to 27. the average is like 23.

but I did CDT PAT almost have no time left. I thought in the real DAT we will have less cubes on cubes counting? (not sure) Should I speed up a little bit in the real DAT PAT test?

I almost did 100% on hole puncturing, 90%on top/front/button and keyhole and cube. But the angle ranking is like 50%, is there any suggestions on angle ranking? practice everyday? I only have one week time left. T_T

Thanks!

CDP was fairly representative. Angles are definitely easier on the real thing. The hole punching questions are different in the sense that the pictures of the "paper" are smaller than what CDP shows, but overall not too bad.

I thought that the apertures was a tad bit more difficult on the real thing.
CDP is pretty spot on imo with the pattern folds, cube counting and tfe.

Based on your scores you are in great shape to beast the PAT!

Make sure to prepare for a person typing very loudly at the testing center. This happened to me during my testing day and I know it really detracted from my score as the loud typing broke my concentration!
They have noise canceling headphones at most centers, I'd recommend wearing some comfy ear plugs on top of that if you are like me and need total silence to concentrate :D
Good luck!