Cranial Nerves, please HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GemPrincess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone....sorry to have to post this, I know some of you don't like academic-related q's on here, but it's T minus 11 hours before my exam and I'm desperate! Does anyone know WHY CN 6 (abducents nerve) is most sensitive to increased intracranial pressure? It's on a practice exam I'm taking and I absoltuely can't figure it out. Any insight you guys have would be totally appreciated. THANKS!!

~Gem

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by GemPrincess
Hi everyone....sorry to have to post this, I know some of you don't like academic-related q's on here, but it's T minus 11 hours before my exam and I'm desperate! Does anyone know WHY CN 6 (abducents nerve) is most sensitive to increased intracranial pressure? It's on a practice exam I'm taking and I absoltuely can't figure it out. Any insight you guys have would be totally appreciated. THANKS!!

~Gem

I don't Know why it is the most sensitive to elevated intracranial pressure but I know that CN VI experiences a downward traction during elevated ICP and it manifests as diplopia.

VI and IV are both very vulnerable to increases in ICP because they have very long intracranial journeys to their targets and are pretty thin (contrast w/ CN II). Moore and Dalley verify this. Incidentally, III is also vulnerable to increased ICP because this increase pushes the uncus (mesial pole of the temporal lobe) down against the brainstem, compressing III. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should specify that this vulnerability to pressure is from VI stretching in response to the increase in ICP (so say moore and dalley).

VI (as mentioned) has a long course, and on it s journey has to pass through the transtentorial notch. In ICP, the brain herniates through the notch, and compresses VI. This leads to the clinical finding of VIth Nerve palsy (inability to move the affected eye in the lateral direction).

perfect....that totally helps guys, thanks a lot!

PS: anatomy dept at loyola med SUCKS ASS!

Originally posted by cchoukal
I should specify that this vulnerability to pressure is from VI stretching in response to the increase in ICP (so say moore and dalley).

i can see how efficient that wireless card has made you :)

Originally posted by GemPrincess
perfect....that totally helps guys, thanks a lot!

PS: anatomy dept at loyola med SUCKS ASS!

why does it suck?

Some of my HS buddies go to Loyola, how are you enjoying it (excluding anatomy)?

hi oldman....loyola is awesome, but i just think that the anatomy dept sucks. they really don't teach well at all....the notes are very scarce and you're expected to know all this information from moore, which wouldn't be such a huge problem if you just knew WHAT you're supposed to know. things aren't really emphasized in class even though they may be of huge significance, it's just assumed that you find the necessary info out of the 1200 page textbook. i think it's a little ridiculous and this past section, head and neck, was just a killer. otherwise, loyola is great: the molec bio profs were terrific, classmates are wonderful, administration rocks.