crappy eval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i feel like i just go the wind knocked out of me. Just got an eval for my recent ED month as an intern and it was Horrible. I really love working in the department but after reading this I really don't know if I am cut out for this. My attendings must think I really suck. My PD probably regrets ranking me

Members don't see this ad.

keep your chin up, read, and work hard. Lots of time left in residency!

One thing about residency evals is that they are relatively poor data sets. You work ~20 shifts in a month and usually 2 or 3 shifts with a particular attending. If one person just happens to be very critical or doesn't get along with you your eval can be screwed. Comments are especially problematic. One person makes one comment and it hits your eval.

I wouldn't worry too much. If there's a serious problem your PD will let you know.

If it's really bothering you talk to your PD and ask what you specifically need to work on to fix the problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i agree. but what really bothers me is that I worked for an entire month and not 1 attending said a thing to me. not even a hint... that I was slow or needed direction or anything. I thought I was doing fine the whole time and then a couple of months later i get this eval with with all these weird comments.

this blows

yea i agree. but what really bothers me is that I worked for an entire month and not 1 attending said a thing to me. not even a hint... that I was slow or needed direction or anything. I thought I was doing fine the whole time and then a couple of months later i get this eval with with all these weird comments.

this blows

My first residency eval was literally the words "nothing special." (No numbers)

If that makes you feel any better.

To put it in the proper frame, you should know that I am quite spectacular.

mike

I got called "cocky" in an eval.... that was a first. I took it as a compliment! Hey they must have thought I knew some stuff to be cocky about it. I thanked them in my eval response. The looks on their faces were worth every bit. Hasn't seemed to effect anything.

My favorite eval I recieved during med school was " Beneath the rough and somewhat unpolished exterior lies a very rough and somewhat unpolished individual"

:laugh:

Fear not ruby. You're an intern. You aren't going to be perfect. I would say it takes about 12-14 months to really get into the "EM" mindset.

That being said, halfway through my internship, I told my PD at my six month eval, that I didn't think I had what it takes to be into EM. That I didn't think I was learning enough, and that my peers were far better than I.

My PD told me that he felt the same way when he was in my shoes.

Some interns are better than others. But by the time PGY3 rolls around, most people have caught up to each other.

That being said, it is very hard for most attendings to give "true" evals face to face with people.

When I was chief last year, we used to give evals to the rotating students. At the beginning of the year, we would just give all "10s" to the students. yeah yeah, you're doing a good job, just read up on all the patients you saw, was basically what most of us put. Then our PD said to us: "Listen, you're doing them a disservice. Do you really think that the M3s and M4s that rotaete with us are all "ABOVE EXCELLENT and FAR SUPERIOR?" It doesn't really HELP anyone by just filling in an eval and saying they're doing fine (and of couse, behind their back talking about how not superior they are). Since then, I have given TRUE evaluations. I have given many of my current EM interns "average" scores. And even given constructive feedback. Most of the interns who are having some difficulty get evals such as:

Confidence Issues
Has a hard time seeing the "big picture"
Unthorough physical exams
Widen your differential
Need to see more patients
Need to work on your rapport

Fear not. You still have PLENTY of time!
Q

I think evals should be done face to face. If attendings or cheif residents don't have the guts to tell u in your face what they really think of you, then they shouldn't write it down.

I recieved a wack evaluation from a particular attending and was also surprised as I actually thought he thought I did a good job.

I'm all for mid-rotation feedback.

However, some attendings may expect more than one can do at that point in their training. Mid-rotation feedacks should consist of baby steps and then discussion of an long-term goal.

The fact often is, had that evaluator given you feedback, they may be asking for too much and not settle for anything else.

-some evaluators are tough when the trainee looks anxious or uncomfortable despite good work. That should pass as you progress.
-some trainees are easy targets when an evaluator is overall an unhappy person
-By the time you complete your training, you may be far more superior than what was expected of you on your intern eval.

**never let a bad eval bring down your confidence in your next rotation:thumbup:

Fear not ruby. You're an intern. You aren't going to be perfect. I would say it takes about 12-14 months to really get into the "EM" mindset.
That's an excellent point. You shouldn't ignore a bad eval but remember that your goal is to be an excellent attending, not necessarily an excellent intern.

the goal is improvement. so dont worry after your first month, you'll inevitabley get better as you see more patients.

Sounds like feedback was the issue for you. My suggestion is before the end of every shift, you have to ask the attending for feedback. Just say, "Any quick suggestions for me?" This helps you on a shift by shift basis, and it prevents the off load of possible negtive feedback towards the end.