Crappy Optho rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in this optho rotation where I really don't feel like I'm learning that much. Getting a good feel for how to use the slit lamp, but beyond that, it pretty much sucks. The biggest problem is that I spend 4/5 days of the week (if not more than that!) with an optomotrist instead of an opthalmologist. I've been reading a couple of optho books, but I really want something that pertains to emergency med. Does anyone know of some good websites or books that apply to emergecny opthalmology?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm in this optho rotation where I really don't feel like I'm learning that much. Getting a good feel for how to use the slit lamp, but beyond that, it pretty much sucks. The biggest problem is that I spend 4/5 days of the week (if not more than that!) with an optomotrist instead of an opthalmologist. I've been reading a couple of optho books, but I really want something that pertains to emergency med. Does anyone know of some good websites or books that apply to emergecny opthalmology?
Thanks!

There are only 3 things you need to get good at vis-a-vis EM.

1. Get familiar with the slit lamp.
2. Get familiar with the slit lamp.
3. Get familiar with the slit lamp.

Seriously, if all you get out of it is what it sounds like you've already got, suck it up for a few more days, and just count yourself as one of the lucky ones. Any consult experience seeing traumas with potential blow out fractures, removal of foreign bodies, great.

Oh, and maybe try and do a day of pediatric clinic. You'll see a bunch of kids with strabismus vs. pseudo-strabismus, and get some good practice with the direct ophthalmoscope.

Take the opportunity to look at a bunch of normal eyes under the slit lamp. The slit lamp can be technically challenging since most of them in most ED's have their own quirks. You sometimes have to hold your mouth a certain way or lean a few degrees to the left to get the lamp to work appropriately. :D (I only slightly jest).

Thanks for the advice, I don't feel so bad about the rotation anymore!