crappy step 2 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sikegeek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This sounds lame, but I had a GI issue during one of the sections in step 2 and my score is absolutely horrible. I had to just answer about 30 questions without even reading them. It ended up being 15 points lower than step 1. I am totally discouraged. I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but do you think this is going to make or break me at programs that are just pretty average in competitiveness?
Otherwise, I'm an average applicant. I have good LORs though.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you pass? If so, don't worry about it. You'll be fine. It may come up during an interview given the difference in your scores. Just be prepared to discuss it. There may be a few programs that might frown on it, but most just want to see you pass and be in good standing. I was below average on my Steps 1 and 2 and got interviews at the program I applied to--Yale, Penn, Hopkins, Pitt, UMich, Brown, etc....I didn't apply to Harvard and the top CA's programs, so I don't know if they would have looked at me or not.

You might want to let your Dean's letter writer know about your GI issues. I dropped my Step II by 9 for various reason (had some scheduling issues that had me taking it in the middle of a leave of absence working on a master's program, other bad things in my life at the time, etc). They can just put a comment that you became a little ill during the exam, and that probably affected your score.

Either way, I doubt it'll be a big deal if you have anything that resembles a legit explanation (which you seem to).

Coincidentally, I had some major GI issues during my medicine shelf, and had to go to like four bathrooms because they were all occupied or being cleaned, losing probably a half hour of my time.

**** happens :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, guys! I did pass. It was just crappy (no pun intended) that I was trying to bring up my step 1 score by studying wicked hard and taking it early so the grade would show, then bam.
Anyway- you guys are great. Do they really put stuff like that in dean's letters? I guess it's worth a shot.

thanks, guys! I did pass. It was just crappy (no pun intended) that I was trying to bring up my step 1 score by studying wicked hard and taking it early so the grade would show, then bam.
Anyway- you guys are great. Do they really put stuff like that in dean's letters? I guess it's worth a shot.

It depends on your school, but generally that can be brought up in the Dean's Letter. You passed, which is a major plus. Remember, you're applying to psychiatry and they tend to understand that a one time exam does not determine your abilities. There may be a few exceptions such as Columbia or the Harvard programs (you should absolutely still apply!), but most all programs will look at your application as a whole.

Best of Luck! :luck:

BTW, anyone who as a "I love Pseudo sciences" as an avatar has to rock!!! :thumbup: that make me LOL!

:laugh: I thought you couldn't retake it if you pass?

You're right. I stand corrected after looking that up.

Without going into graphic detail, it might suffice to mention that you were not feeling well the day of the test.

I'm sure you know the drill - apply to a lot of programs to greatly increase your chances and selection, and most likely you can find a program that appeals to you. Good luck.