crashed and burned out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouseybrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was doing really well in the beginning of the term in second year, but my last three exams blew. afterwards, we had a break.. i spent my break not studying but trying to gear up and get my head on straight.

i had way too many distractions (financial aid problems, getting sick, etc). i was trying too hard, not getting enough sleep, and now I am in a hole i have to dig myself out of.

if the facebook live feeds from my classmates are true, everyone is doing awesome. i since deleted my account because it was making me feel worse.

i want to know if anyone else has had this problem, and how they got over burnout so early in the year.

Members don't see this ad.

Do yourself a favor and limit your medical school activities to 50-80 hours a week. It's when you go over your psychological limit that you will burn out and crash. It's just like sleep debt.

If SDN is anything to go by, a lot of people go through it.

You may want to consider seeing someone about your stress and anxiety.

Maybe some outside suggestions regarding study habits will help.

I can assure you that you are not alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel ya man. Im coming towards the end of 8 weeks in a row of Monday tests. Tomorrow we have number 7 and follow it up with a physio text the next week heading in to a well needed thanksgiving break. I dont really have any advice but just am saying that you are not alone. I think our whole class is ready to throw in the towel at this point - just gotta keep truckin and try to stay sane any way you can.

why don't you go see some patients in teh clinic? whenever I felt like I couldn't study any more, I would go to the clinic to remind myself of what it was all aboahahahahhahahhhahhahahahaaa

why don't you go see some patients in teh clinic? whenever I felt like I couldn't study any more, I would go to the clinic to remind myself of what it was all aboahahahahhahahhhahhahahahaaa

:lol: awesome

:laugh: Nothing kills stress like doing more work, right?

It does first year when you have no real responsibility and gets you out of the lecture hall. Not like you are taking care of patients or anything. You wander around and see cool stuff and leave the boring stuff there.

Feeling burned out is a normal part of the cycle.
Remember: legions of physicians have gone through something similar or worse.
Rule # 1: Treat yourself first.
Take care of your well-being. The future is a result of your current actions and the current situation is a result of your past. So forget your past and focus on NOW and how you can prepare yourself for the future.
Rule # 2: Optimism is the light that shines on darkness.
Use optimism to help you get through the day. I got through the toughest times by gym, playing basketball, and just changing my perception.
Perception is a powerful tool if you master it. Change your perception and the world does not seem so tough. Example, I am currently working in the health care field and sometimes people don’t always do the best thing for their patients. So I learned everyone is different and I try to put myself in their boat and try to UNDERSTAND how they would handle it. In a nutshell, use perception to change how “burned up” can be channeled into “fueled up”. What helps you get through? Reading a novel, fishing? Chilling with good friends? Whatever it may be, take care of your being. Do some deep introspection to regain your motivation of “why medicine”
Rule # 3: Have a Plan.
Write down a plan that helps you get through the hurdles you are going through.
Then, Act on the plan. The hardest part is the action.
Example, you knew you wanted to go into medical school.
The act of studying for anatomy, hist, embry…. Is the challenging part. But remember Rule # 1 Treat yourself first. Feel like you need a break? Take it. You are only great to your patients and those around you when your internal well-being is maintained. You cannot give health without having the health, whether emotional or physical.
In summary, Be strong and mighty and love yourself.
Take care. I hope this helps.

Its all because of stress, the best way to come out of it is meditation. Try it.

find some activity or place that consistently gives you peace, and go there whenever things get crazy.

for me it's sitting in the ocean at 5am, glassy, offshore flow looking at long-period SSW lines coming from thousands of miles away to take me to shore. If you can figure out how to make yourself happy in spite of everything negative around you, you can endure anything. Getting your head straight is #1, once things fall into perspective you can be superman the medical student again.

I was like this the entire spring sem of 1st year but I think it's because I started to neglect my health, so it wasn't a mental burn out and more of FATIGUE. funny enough, i was about to get out of this by doing more cardio, i guess it boosts your mood...

Last edited: