Mid-semester burn out tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudfud26

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have successfully completed two blocks of MS1, but I feel like I have run out of steam starting my Hematology and Oncology block. I can watch my lectures, but I have very low motivation for individual review. Any tips for burn out I haven't tried?

Current habits
-Eating healthy (avoiding fast food and low, controlled sugar indulgence)
-Physical separation of sleep/fun areas from study area
-Not working during meals
-regular sleep schedule
-Therapy

Starting/restarting
-Exercise (walks, swimming with friends)
-Anki - Anking decks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have successfully completed two blocks of MS1, but I feel like I have run out of steam starting my Hematology and Oncology block. I can watch my lectures, but I have very low motivation for individual review. Any tips for burn out I haven't tried?

Current habits
-regular sleep schedule
-Therapy

Starting/restarting
-Anki - Anking decks
I take one full day on the weekend off to do anything I want to do. I don’t look at anything school related (emails, anki, etc.). Basically school is out of sight, out of mind on that day. It helps a lot.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I take one full day on the weekend off to do anything I want to do. I don’t look at anything school related (emails, anki, etc.). Basically school is out of sight, out of mind on that day. It helps a lot.
I agree that giving yourself permission to celebrate or enjoy yourself with a vacation or self-care options (theater show or concert) would be nice. Things that prevent you from looking at your devices especially. Don't take so many selfies or short clips to remember moments.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that giving yourself permission to celebrate or enjoy yourself with a vacation or self-care options (theater show or concert) would be nice. Things that prevent you from looking at your devices especially. Don't take so many selfies or short clips to remember moments.
Yea I can’t deal with med school 7 days a week. It’s just too much. I take the sabbath off and my mental health has been much better for it. I don’t know how people study 7 days a week.

Reactions: 2 users
Take some time to get a small group (one or two others) together for study discussion sessions as a way to still learn material, but to do it in a different more interesting way.

I started a group in med school that went to happy hour almost every Friday night.

Heck, combine those. Get a happy hour study group together.

Last edited:
Listen to loud music before studying and exams to pump you up.

I personally study everyday but take long breaks. I think that either saving up a long break as mentioned above or breaking them up can help

Thank y'all for your advice. Setting aside one night for no studying is helping. I have also been exercising more and got a light therapy lamp, which has helped with energy levels, especially with it getting cold and dark.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Current habits
-regular sleep schedule
-Therapy

Starting/restarting
-Anki - Anking decks
Really great job so far.

My two recommendations:
1. Set up a study schedule, with start and end time.
2. Get one day completely off of all work.

I see number one really creep on people's QOL. It is a marathon, not a race. Teach yourself to do an honest day's work and then feel good when you leave.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Really great job so far.

My two recommendations:
1. Set up a study schedule, with start and end time.
2. Get one day completely off of all work.

I see number one really creep on people's QOL. It is a marathon, not a race. Teach yourself to do an honest day's work and then feel good when you leave.
Definitely need to start doing #1. Feel like most of the time I’m studying or doing research off and on from 8 am to 9 pm straight. Must be a diminishing returns type thing

I have found that even as an Attending I get burned out. What helps me is two fold: i plan an event in the future, whether its a vacation, driving somewhere to see family, etc, etc. Whatever excites you. This way you have something positive focus on in the future, having a clear light at the end of the tunnel that isnt 2 years away is always nice.

Also setting aside personal time every day, and indulging in it. Whether thats playing video games, talking to people on tinder, going out, etc. Separating work life/.personal life so you're not just 100% about the job/med school

• Love
Reactions: 3 users