CRAZY LOR writers...WTF man

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so U of Minnesota has these supplemental LOR forms that they require that can be done electronically. They take about 10 minutes to do and aren't that difficult. Now, I've been emailing this one writer of mine for the past THREE weeks asking her to do it, telling her that U of M is one of my top choices, my brother goes there etc. Now, the form must be there by THIS THURSDAY because that is the deadline of my application. So today i send her this e-mail:

Prof Bowman-
Another day and still no LOR form. The form must be completed by THURSDAY. Today is TUESDAY so basically you MUST do it either tonight or tomorrow or else my entire application, all 8 essays, 100 dollars etc will all have been done in vain. I asked another one of my professors how long it took to complete and he said ~10 minutes. PLEASE get it in Prof Bowman. U of Minn is one of my top choices, my brother goes to school there and I spent countless hours on the essays. I am also morbidly sick and have 2 midterms coming up and having this deal with will really put my mind at ease. Thank you and take care.

(note: all of my previous e-mails were much nicer)
and THIS is what she e-mails me back...

Kevin - It's only Tuesday. I have a break on Thursday
morning so if I can't do it before then, I can do it
while my students are in their exam.
bb

i mean, hopefully she'll ACTUALLY pull through by thursday, but WTF man, does she REALLY not have 10 minutes? ok...done venting. goodnight

-mota

Members don't see this ad.

you got balls, man. way to speak up...sounds like that's what needed to be said. hopefully she got the message. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a laptop with wireless connection, fill the whole thing out and physically take the laptop down to her office (hopefully a wireless connection is available there). Then, tell her all she has to do is press the submit button and send it off electronically.

i just overnighted a different LOR that won't require this supplemental bullsh*t. cost me 25 bucks though. i'm seriously pissed off. i can't understand why this professor is being such a biatch.
-mota

crazy_cavalier said:
If you have a laptop with wireless connection, fill the whole thing out and physically take the laptop down to her office (hopefully a wireless connection is available there). Then, tell her all she has to do is press the submit button and send it off electronically.

i would but she teaches at a college about 40 minutes away. and i don't drive.
-mota

DaMota said:
i would but she teaches at a college about 40 minutes away. and i don't drive.
-mota

Awww that sucks. Looks like you can't hound her down... :(

DaMota said:
so U of Minnesota has these supplemental LOR forms that they require that can be done electronically. They take about 10 minutes to do and aren't that difficult. Now, I've been emailing this one writer of mine for the past THREE weeks asking her to do it, telling her that U of M is one of my top choices, my brother goes there etc. Now, the form must be there by THIS THURSDAY because that is the deadline of my application. So today i send her this e-mail:

Prof Bowman-
Another day and still no LOR form. The form must be completed by THURSDAY. Today is TUESDAY so basically you MUST do it either tonight or tomorrow or else my entire application, all 8 essays, 100 dollars etc will all have been done in vain. I asked another one of my professors how long it took to complete and he said ~10 minutes. PLEASE get it in Prof Bowman. U of Minn is one of my top choices, my brother goes to school there and I spent countless hours on the essays. I am also morbidly sick and have 2 midterms coming up and having this deal with will really put my mind at ease. Thank you and take care.

(note: all of my previous e-mails were much nicer)
and THIS is what she e-mails me back...

Kevin - It's only Tuesday. I have a break on Thursday
morning so if I can't do it before then, I can do it
while my students are in their exam.
bb

i mean, hopefully she'll ACTUALLY pull through by thursday, but WTF man, does she REALLY not have 10 minutes? ok...done venting. goodnight

-mota

Your e-mail is a little rude. I'm all for confidence (and I know she is being rude), but she is your superior and you are at her mercy, and so you have to pressure her courteously. By sending that e-mail, you may very well be provoking her to "show you who's the boss."

I would suggest that, instead, you call her up on the phone tomorrow. It's just as coercive and it's far more immediate.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Your e-mail is a little rude. I'm all for confidence (and I know she is being rude), but she is your superior and you are at her mercy, and so you have to pressure her courteously. By sending that e-mail, you may very well be provoking her to "show you who's the boss."

I would suggest that, instead, you call her up on the phone tomorrow. It's just as coercive and it's far more immediate.

Yeah, perhaps that first line is a little bit much "Another day and still no LOR." It's blunt and straightforward though, but it could nudge her into angry mode.

lattimer13 said:
you got balls, man. way to speak up...sounds like that's what needed to be said. hopefully she got the message. best of luck.

yeah...big balls

mercaptovizadeh said:

ya maybe you're right. the other e-mails were really a lot nicer. i just thought a change of tone might do the trick. but that didn't really work. hence the title of this thread.
-mota

DaMota said:
ya maybe you're right. the other e-mails were really a lot nicer. i just thought a change of tone might do the trick. but that didn't really work. hence the title of this thread.
-mota

Yeah, my advice is to call her up tomorrow afternoon and politely ask whether she's turned it in. If she has any conscience and isn't a total b!tch, she will have done it by then or shortly thereafter.

She's clearly pressed for time - I bet she doesn't have time to wipe her ass and that's just nasty. Perhaps you could email/call her to facilitate her sending the LOR. It's not enough to ask her to do it at the last minute, come up with a novel way to help her help you.
But, yeah, I agree, wtf?

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
She's clearly pressed for time - I bet she doesn't have time to wipe her ass and that's just nasty. Perhaps you could email/call her to facilitate her sending the LOR. It's not enough to ask her to do it at the last minute, come up with a novel way to help her help you.
But, yeah, I agree, wtf?

I bet she's a procrastinator and is tooling away into the wee hours of the morning preparing the exam.

desiredusername said:
But, yeah, I agree, wtf?

you should just write the LOR yourself and have her sign it

you never know, she could be a freak in the sheets. who knows what she's up to in the wee morning hours.

You could call her and mention how these types of things are notorious for having last minute server problems when everyone is sending stuff in at the last minute. I'm sure she has experienced it when sending in grants. It happens ALL the time. If you point out that what could be a 10 minute thing could end up being an hour or more while she's waiting for the server to come back up or whatever. Also, if there are problems with the web interface that doesn't mean the due date or time will be extended and you (and I hope, she) don't want you to be screwed because she waited so long.

:luck:

desiredusername said:
you never know, she could be a freak in the sheets. who knows what she's up to in the wee morning hours.

haha. about half of your posts here and elsewhere make me crack up.

do you all think i should e-mail her again today or wait til tomorrow?
-mota

DaMota said:
haha. about half of your posts here and elsewhere make me crack up.

do you all think i should e-mail her again today or wait til tomorrow?
-mota

Phone today, phone tomorrow.

I had a similar situation with a professor who preferred to send letters by mail, actually refusing to do it online. His letter arrived late to the UMN, but they were still accepted none-the-less. I was under the impression that the UMN enforces a strict policy on any tardiness with secondary material, but similar to Northwestern, I believe they do allow some leeway with late LOR's.

Best of luck!

Dang mota...that's some ****. I think its messed up that she can't get the picture after so many e-mails. Guess it's all in her hands now...

desiredusername said:
She's clearly pressed for time - I bet she doesn't have time to wipe her ass and that's just nasty.

HAHA!

hey MOTA, you know, you have to let us know how the issue resolves! has she sent it yet? and if not, will she send it tomorrow? *on edge of seat*

not sure if u realized it or not, but ur identity has been revealed :smuggrin:
u might want to edit ur original post before some crazy sdn stalker starts following u around campus. ;)

jtank said:
not sure if u realized it or not, but ur identity has been revealed :smuggrin:
u might want to edit ur original post before some crazy sdn stalker starts following u around campus. ;)

whoa whoa, how did i reveal my identity? its just my first name, right?
-mota

ok for you guys following the drama in the "OB" (orange berkeley) i emailed her tonight:

Hi-
> I hope all is well. Sorry if my last e-mail was a little too
> direct/harsh but I've been pretty
> sick and it's been wearing on me. I just wanted to give you a final
> reminder that the deadline for
> my application is tomorrow, Thursday. If you want me to remind you
> again by telephone or e-mail,
> just let me know and I will do so. I really hope you get it in on
> time (i.e. by 3PM) Thanks again.
> -Kevin

and she wrote back...

Sure, remind me in the morning :) I'll be proctoring
an exam from about 11-12 and that is a great time to
work on the form.
bb

so i think that means she'll be taking her laptop in while she's proctoring? and i should e-mail her then... so things seem to be under control. for safety measures i called and got an extension on my deadline (but i'm clearly not telling her that, the crazy ho)
-mota

crazy_cavalier said:
hey kavon, you know, you have to let us know how the issue resolves! has she sent it yet? and if not, will she send it tomorrow? *on edge of seat*

weird that you called me kavon, that's my middle name
-mota

DaMota said:
whoa whoa, how did i reveal my identity? its just my first name, right?
-mota

yes. and dont fret, i was jk :p

DaMota said:
weird that you called me kavon, that's my middle name
-mota

see, didnt i tell u :cool:

DaMota said:
ok for you guys following the drama in the "OB" (orange berkeley) i emailed her tonight:

Hi-
> I hope all is well. Sorry if my last e-mail was a little too
> direct/harsh but I've been pretty
> sick and it's been wearing on me. I just wanted to give you a final
> reminder that the deadline for
> my application is tomorrow, Thursday. If you want me to remind you
> again by telephone or e-mail,
> just let me know and I will do so. I really hope you get it in on
> time (i.e. by 3PM) Thanks again.
> -Kevin

and she wrote back...

Sure, remind me in the morning :) I'll be proctoring
an exam from about 11-12 and that is a great time to
work on the form.
bb

so i think that means she'll be taking her laptop in while she's proctoring? and i should e-mail her then... so things seem to be under control. for safety measures i called and got an extension on my deadline (but i'm clearly not telling her that, the crazy ho)
-mota

Geez, she's really putting it off for that last minute huh? I really hope she sends it in for you... it would be a shame to have to lose out on all the effort you put into that school for something like this :mad:

Kevin Kavon Mota? :D

GJ on the emergency extension btw, things should work out now :cool:

Turkeyman said:
Kevin Kavon Mota? :D

GJ on the emergency extension btw, things should work out now :cool:

there's a total of 5 letters missing from my complete name. i will speak no more.
-mota

DaMota said:
there's a total of 5 letters missing from my complete name. i will speak no more.
-mota
Kevin Kavon Motahhhhh

Hahaha both Indryd and crazy_cavalier have made excellent guesses

so off, 4 of them are attached to the mota and one of them is somewhere in kavon
-mota

wait
why am i encouraging this?
someone close this thread stat.
-mota

oh yeah? I had 1 LOR hold up my completeness EVERYWHERE for almost 2 months!

What happened to your cough? Did the mucinex reward you with lots of liquid gold?

DaMota said:
everybody go to www.websudoku.com it'll drive you nuts.
-mota

Ohh yeah that puzzle, guess it's the newest rage huh? Just started appearing in my university newspaper at the beginning of the semester along with the crossword. Haven't tried it yet...DO YOU ENJOY IT, KEVIN KAGVON BADAMOTA

...did I get it?

DaMota said:
everybody go to www.websudoku.com it'll drive you nuts.
-mota

okay, so one of the rules of this game is that in each of the nine 3x3 sub boxes have to contain the digits 1-9 as well, right?

:confused:

SeventhSon said:
oh yeah? I had 1 LOR hold up my completeness EVERYWHERE for almost 2 months!

well, ya but you have a 37, 3.95 and are a URM. i think i win.
-mota

desiredusername said:
What happened to your cough? Did the mucinex reward you with lots of liquid gold?

mucinex flushed me out like prune juice does old people. i owe you.
-mota

Turkeyman said:
Ohh yeah that puzzle, guess it's the newest rage huh? Just started appearing in my university newspaper at the beginning of the semester along with the crossword. Haven't tried it yet...DO YOU ENJOY IT, KEVIN KAGVON BADAMOTA

...did I get it?
Kagvon...take me away...

LOL that's my first douche joke in like...15 years heh.

Turkeyman said:

...did I get it?

haha kagvon

kavon is phonetically correct. so the letter isn't as blantly egreggious as a G.
-mota

crazy_cavalier said:
okay, so one of the rules of this game is that in each of the nine 3x3 sub boxes have to contain the digits 1-9 as well, right?

:confused:

read the thing on the left. i just tried it for the first time tonight and its driving me insane. i'm gonna break my computer. or someone named sudoku.
-mota

DaMota said:
haha kagvon

kavon is phonetically correct. so the letter isn't as blantly egreggious as a G.
-mota

oh oh my knowledge of persian names finally has some use to it.

the secret letter is a SILENT X!!!

kxavon damotaman!

PS I love these sudoku puzzles man. they're totally the "now". kinda like the ipod was a few years ago.

Kevin Kavon Motalatte