Crazy Nervous

Nervous Nelly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My girlfriend (28 yrs old) applied to med school and got in to a decent school close to home. She seemed excited to go, but about a week before the orientation she became extremely nervous and decided to give up her seat.

She was concerned with all the normal issues that a prospective med student might be faced with: amount of loans, amount of time required to finish, drastic change in lifestyle, having children later in life....etc.

The unique facet to this situation is that she had gone through the exact same scenario last year with another school, but attributed it to the great distance the school was from her family.

Regardless, now she is very regretful and sad. She feels she has sacrificed a great opportunity and given up on a dream. I have tried to reassure her that life is not over and medical school is nothing to rush into. I told her to simply take some time off and think about things to decide whether she really wants to go.
But she is very depressed...this is something that she always imagined herself doing and she can't understand how she could love something so much but simultaneously be so afraid of it. :(

Personally, I feel that if you truly want to do something in life...you do it no matter what the obstacles. Granted, one can have fears and get nervous about the struggle, but deep down inside the desire to achieve a goal will overcome those fears. I'm not a med student, but I imagine this is the kind of mentality they have. Whether this is right or not is debatable, but my only concern is her.

My question to you is: has anyone known a family member or friend who has gone through something like this, or has anyone gone through this personally? How did you deal with it?

I would be grateful for any insight into this...thanks.

NN

Members don't see this ad.