Crazy OT pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ValeRx

Not Retail
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine works for CVS in the Carolina's and today told me that they are paying their RPh's triple time. Said he made 2500 in a day. I don't think he's a liar but I've got to put this to the SDN test. Anyone else seeing this? My local grocery chain finally went back to time and a half for OT instead of the capped 78/hr.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
CVS must be desperate at this point to pay that much

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
wow- I haven't seen that for years - I once made triple pay doing relief work, but it was Christmas eve and they called me on the 23rd -

Members don't see this ad :)
Peak flu vaccines right now & pfizer covid vaccine booster getting more liberal approval this week...wouldn't be surprised...good old back to school & cough & cold season too. Short term solution. Seems like the skeleton schedule mind set & lack of incentives is finally biting certain companies in the @$$

Much turmoil in many locations with re-districting and backlash; plenty of staff/PIC transferring, moving, and/or quitting. Some stores with completely new pharmacy staff

Last edited:
very possible i think. People around here leaving CVS fast for WM/Grocery. CVS is lucky to get 6 months out of new rph hires here.

Reactions: 1 user
very possible i think. People around here leaving CVS fast for WM/Grocery. CVS is lucky to get 6 months out of new rph hires here.
That sad part is there are new grads lined up to take the jobs at a low salary

My hospital has started incentive pay for certain shifts, stackable with 1.5x OT. Never heard of 3x OT.

I don't get why they would do this when there are literally thousands of unemployed pharmDs?

Probably starting to see that these new grads that can barely pass the NAPLEX have weak leadership and workflow skills even for a CVS.

They wouldn’t be in this mess if they used that money to invest and retain good techs.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s nice
My district is closing down stores left and right because they can’t find people who want to work

I don't get why they would do this when there are literally thousands of unemployed pharmDs?
A lot of those unemployed pharmacists have been there and done that with chain retail. And few new grads can cope with the pace of retail for long these days.

That’s nice
My district is closing down stores left and right because they can’t find people who want to work
Not quite left and right but my area is getting there. Currently have ~30 open RPh shifts in my district for the next two weeks but no extra incentive to pick them up. The neighboring districts have just as many.
A lot of those unemployed pharmacists have been there and done that with chain retail. And few new grads can cope with the pace of retail for long these days.
Yup we're losing new hires faster than we can train them. Our two most recent hires quit over the same weekend, didn't even last a full week after training.

It should be a huge red flag that people are jumping ship without jobs lined up but corporate has made no indication that they care.

If they properly staffed these stores with 3 pharmacists instead of paying 1 pharmacist 3x then they wouldn't have this problem.

That’s nice
I bet some stores go back to limited hours like at the beginning of covid. That's what the local grocery stores are doing now since they won't raise wages to attract workers. Retail would be a lot better if the hours were 9-7 on weekdays and 10-4 on weekends.

CVS specialty offering $120 an hour last time I heard for OT

• Wow
Probably starting to see that these new grads that can barely pass the NAPLEX have weak leadership and workflow skills even for a CVS.

Most pharmacists really do have piss poor leadership skills. I think it comes with the personality the profession attracts. (Quiet, introverted, analytical, attention to detail).

Those of us who are loud, attention seeking, shoot from the hip, improvise types tend to get into trouble with management.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
So a friend of mine works for CVS in the Carolina's and today told me that they are paying their RPh's triple time. Said he made 2500 in a day. I don't think he's a liar but I've got to put this to the SDN test. Anyone else seeing this? My local grocery chain finally went back to time and a half for OT instead of the capped 78/hr.
Even at that price, still not worth it to work for CVS

I have heard of 2x pay being offered when they get real desperate, have not heard of 3x pay. doesnt mean thats not possible, just I havent personally encountered it.

You'd have to pay me at least 10x to go back.

That’s nice
Let them pay .CVS is paying $49 .They shut all stores soon with that money .It means a regular RN with 6byrs will make more than a pharmacists

The job market was bad but now it seems mixed.That to me is an improvement.I have no idea why.

The job market was bad but now it seems mixed.That to me is an improvement.I have no idea why.
All the old pharmacists retired and all the new grads can’t handle the post-COVID work conditions

All the old pharmacists retired and all the new grads can’t handle the post-COVID work conditions
A very low percentage of pharmacists can handle the post-COVID work conditions.

Most/all can't get through the day without making a huge mess, let alone hitting targets or avoiding customer complaints.

It's a really, really rough time to be on the bench regardless of experience vs youthful energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Most pharmacists really do have piss poor leadership skills. I think it comes with the personality the profession attracts. (Quiet, introverted, analytical, attention to detail).
Not gonna lie, I feel attacked with the latter hahah

I’d go back for $300/hr, that’s my price for bathing my soul in the acid of retail.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users