credentialing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted a medical director position at a reasonably prestigious place. i'm undergoing credentialing however they are asking for things that I have never been asked before and it seems over the top/bizarre. have any of you being asked for an evaluation from your current place of employment? (not references - i have provided those already), as well as training evaluations from residency/fellowship, all my degrees, all my info on training, etc. It seems so bizarre? Also do any of you keep "logs" of procedures you do as an attending? Im being asked for logs for inpatient admissions/procedures. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of such a thing. Seems pretty invasive - espcially if already accepted the position? I would want to know their angle for wanting all of that (and who keeps track of any of that nonsense).

I keep log of spine procedures that I do, but no idea of peripheral joints, EMGs, diagnoses seen, etc.

Never heard of such a thing. Seems pretty invasive - espcially if already accepted the position? I would want to know their angle for wanting all of that (and who keeps track of any of that nonsense).

I keep log of spine procedures that I do, but no idea of peripheral joints, EMGs, diagnoses seen, etc.
I agree - I spoke to the director of the dept and said this doesn't make sense. I've been an attending for years and a med director for a while, have no lawsuits, have gone to excellent institutions that have all checked out, excellent references from solid peers. Who in their right mind asks for a "full evaluation" of my performace - I tell the director today, I have never been asked for such a thing as an attending. This is not residency or fellowship. Yes position was accepted and contract signed by all parties. I interviewed with like 10+ people or so. The references had nothing but good things to say. I don't do spine procedures at this point, and have told them that, and no one keeps track of peripheral joint injections. They even asked me for a log of "admissions" - I almost lost my crap there! Who would keep track of that? I've admitted thousands of patients over the years. Even the director was like yeah that's a first for me I've never heard of such requests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted a medical director position at a reasonably prestigious place. i'm undergoing credentialing however they are asking for things that I have never been asked before and it seems over the top/bizarre. have any of you being asked for an evaluation from your current place of employment? (not references - i have provided those already), as well as training evaluations from residency/fellowship, all my degrees, all my info on training, etc. It seems so bizarre? Also do any of you keep "logs" of procedures you do as an attending? Im being asked for logs for inpatient admissions/procedures. Thoughts?
The first I have not seen. The LOR from colleagues at your current job is pretty common (and as uncomfortable AF at times). I had to present a procedure log. I’d talk to your IT person…if you have an EMR it can likely be pulled easily. I don’t remember having to provide evaluations from all my levels of training, but did have to list references.

The first I have not seen. The LOR from colleagues at your current job is pretty common (and as uncomfortable AF at times). I had to present a procedure log. I’d talk to your IT person…if you have an EMR it can likely be pulled easily. I don’t remember having to provide evaluations from all my levels of training, but did have .
The first I have not seen. The LOR from colleagues at your current job is pretty common (and as uncomfortable AF at times). I had to present a procedure log. I’d talk to your IT person…if you have an EMR it can likely be pulled easily. I don’t remember having to provide evaluations from all my levels of training, but did have to list references.
Who would keep track of all their peripheral injections particularly in an inpatient setting and the number of admissions they do?

Who would keep track of all their peripheral injections particularly in an inpatient setting and the number of admissions they do?
If you have an EMR you typically can pull by cpt code

I was asked something similar for my "procedures" when I started at my current place. They ended up accepting a list of my cpt codes submitted by my biller.

I actually keep track of every encounter, inpatient and outpatient. For outpatient, I keep track of every diagnostic test I order, every procedure I perform (including modifiers), and who I refer to. I then have another sheet that automatically pulls in data so I can calculate things like RVUs, CPT distribution, etc. within a given timeframe.

Yes, way more than needed, but I find it helpful. Adds 2-5 minutes to my day.

What I don't keep track of is diagnoses (unless unusual, like potential case report). That would take too much time.

i just got flashbacks to residency and my patient/procedure logs. I have not kept track of any of that since i finished.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually keep track of every encounter, inpatient and outpatient. For outpatient, I keep track of every diagnostic test I order, every procedure I perform (including modifiers), and who I refer to. I then have another sheet that automatically pulls in data so I can calculate things like RVUs, CPT distribution, etc. within a given timeframe.

Yes, way more than needed, but I find it helpful. Adds 2-5 minutes to my day.

What I don't keep track of is diagnoses (unless unusual, like potential case report). That would take too much time.
I would seriously look into whether your EMR has the capability to perform the same work. You could be wasting a lot of time right now.

I would seriously look into whether your EMR has the capability to perform the same work. You could be wasting a lot of time right now.

Apparently the president of the hospital - I don't even know who that is! and have never met them- is doing the evaluation. I never understood what value there is in that?

• Haha
Apparently the president of the hospital - I don't even know who that is! and have never met them- is doing the evaluation. I never understood what value there is in that?
To make sure you are broken or can be broken.

i think they got a response they didn’t like and are now asking for more information. Maybe one of your references said something or wrote a sub-par LOR. Then they will typically ask for more information such as this.

If you are interviewing for academics or high profile job they will ask more. 3+ LOR, 3+ reference statements, personal statements, etc. Logs obviously if you are doing procedures. Inpatient admission logs if you are trying to see a subset population, but otherwise should not add too much value. Unless they are trying to check something from your references.

I suspect they are trying to get more information to see if they will complete the hiring process.

Last edited:
i think they got a response they didn’t like and are now asking for more information. Maybe one of your references said something or wrote a sub-par LOR. Then they will typically ask for more information such as this.

If you are interviewing for academics or high profile job they will ask more. 3+ LOR, 3+ reference statements, personal statements, etc. Logs obviously if you are doing procedures. Inpatient admission logs if you are trying to see a subset population, but otherwise should not add too much value. Unless they are trying to check something from your references.

I suspect they are trying to get more information to see if they will complete the hiring process.
No the request for an evaluation was before the references were submitted and the references were solid. The hiring process is already done and the contract is signed. I think it’s because the person doing the credentialing is clueless and has been doing it only a few months. The director of the dept said that they didn’t think any of what was being asked for necessary. Such a ridiculous process. And the credentialing committee will look at the stuff in 5 minutes and sign off. As the med director who signs off on credentialing at my hospital it’s not that helpful.

Ok, then why are you so worried about it?

I'm not! I just find it pointless to have someone who I have never met, and who has never met me "evaluate" me. It's as if I'm evaluating you or you are evaluating me. What does that do other than fill a check in the box?

I'm not! I just find it pointless to have someone who I have never met, and who has never met me "evaluate" me. It's as if I'm evaluating you or you are evaluating me. What does that do other than fill a check in the box?
Agreed, it’s stupid. I understand a procedure log…that can make sense for credentialing. But some rando eval after getting the job? What an enormous waste of time

I'd tell them that if negotiations have gotten this far and they will rescind an offer over some evaluation from when you were a resident then they can hire you or **** off.

Reactions: 2 users