Credit Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherif

Hot stuff
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now i have a question since i am still in high school, i was wondering how many credit hours are you allowed to take in college. I have freinds that are taking like 10 hrs and saying that is like crazy work no one ever does that. Are they just lying or is it true cause i figured out the classes i should take for my freshmen yr and i found that it would be around 22 hours which means i need to get permission to take these hrs since i am over 20. Is all these stuff true or is it just mambo jumbo

Members don't see this ad.

Woah, don't take that many, especially your first semester. Take around 15/16 for a start for your first time. You'll get a feel for how much work it is. Much of it depends on how hard a class is. I have a taken a few classes than demanded 6 hours worth of work while there are others that have been worth 3 but barely demanded any work. Don't think your proving much by taking so many hours. It is much better to do well at 15 than to push yourself to exhaustion in undergrad. Remember that whole balance thing? Overloading isn't balance. Of course, after a semester in college you may find that you are one of those people who can excel in an unceasing pressure cooker.

ya but Calc,bio,Chem,English,. i am already at 19 hrs without anything else, what happens if ur taking a class they u really know, like i want to take Arabic and i know how to speak and write it. I can get an A in that class easily and it gives 5 hrs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Repeat, don't take 19 hours your first semester in college. How the heck would you have time to do anything but classwork if you take so many classes? You won't be able to commit to organizations, volunteer, ENJOY LIFE. Seriously, spread out to summer school if you have to, but don't overload.

Originally posted by Sherif
ya but Calc,bio,Chem,English,. i am already at 19 hrs without anything else

Definitely do-able. That doesn't look like 19, though.

that looks more like 15-16.. how it it 19?

ya oops my bad i added arabic which is 5. I know i would ace that course with no trouble since i speak it and write it

It may come easily for you, but a course of that many hours could be time consuming. Also, labs usually take up tons more time than they are worth in credits so factor that in.

Hey Sherif,

You seem sooooo excited to get into college... Don't let that take you off the right track... My average credit-load was 13 in college.. Trust me, high GPA and a very good understanding of the subject which you are taking is alot more important than finishing your college experience too fast...

Just enjoy college... It is the most wonderful experience for education... So, get educated about everything you put your hands on and don't just focus on finishing your homework... Do more and explore more... I think this way you will be a good educated physicians in many areas of life...

You don't have to take all the subjects you mentioned at the same time... Take them in different years... Start with chemistry and math on the first year... Maybe with another elective... Then get into biology on the second year... It would be a good idea to spread out your electives and requirements through out your education... Don't finish in year 1&2 and then wonder what you will do for the rest of the time...
That's my personal advice and it is really up to you after all...

yeah all that looks around 16...assuming each class was 4 units each.

the arabic class will be 5 units hence making it 21 total.

to the OP...even though i took a lot of units, why would you want to take bio, chem, calc, and english and another language just in the semester? you have 8 semesters man.

and if your language classes are anything like the i had...they just wont let you go into the easy class...and will place you where you will actually learn something...this is obviously to make sure people just dont take it for the easy A.

and there is an overall unit limit for each school. i went over the limit and since i was not a double major i was told that if i didnt complete my degree by the 8th semester id have to leave the school without a degree.

usually counselors will not approve an incoming freshman take over 20 or so units.

Don't rush through college, you have all your life to work as a doctor...you only have this age once. Plus you need way more than a good GPA to get into med school....Enjoy life!

Like everyone said (so maybe you should listen) . . . don't take that many hours right off. If you want to take Arabic later, then take it later. I'm not going to tell you to never take 20 hours, but definitely don't do it your first semester. That is just too risky.

PS. Ok, I lied. NEVER take 20+ hours. Why would you ever need to? The most I ever took was 17, and averaged around 14.

thanks for all your advice, so if i take Calc, Bio,chem, and english i should be in good shape cause i wana take in my junior yr classes that will help in MCat like Physiology, Genetics and u need a bio and chem basis for it.

that looks more like 15-16.. how it it 19?

Originally posted by Sherif
thanks for all your advice, so if i take Calc, Bio,chem, and english i should be in good shape cause i wana take in my junior yr classes that will help in MCat like Physiology, Genetics and u need a bio and chem basis for it.

seriously tho...everything you need to know for the mcat comes from your basic bio, chem, physics and maybe a general biochem class for pathways and stuff.

physiology and genetics are not really necessary. having the other intro stuff you took fresh in your head is way more important for the test. and for the most part is different for each test.

Plus you can always take an extra year,,,,what is the rush? I mean once your a doctor your a doctor, its like your job,,,REALLY COOL JOB,,,but there is nothing after that and you know you cant do half the things you can do now, like party :) and like hmmmmmm party :) Enjoy life dear, you have a long time of it....Personally, I would not take chem and bio together, especially your intro classes, only because this is all new to you....You may be in a hurry but you will not go anywhere fast with a low GPA.