Creighton or UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbone616

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got accepted to both Creighton and UIC and I'm having a tough time making a decision. Can anyone offer me any advice? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I also got accepted to both schools. I also in the process of deciding, but I have realized regardless of where I get my education I will get the same degree so I think it is more about what you are more comfortable with.

A few things I liked about CU. 1) I really liked the professors I met. I had so much fun on my interview and remained in contact with my interviewer, one of the tour guides and the student that I interviewed with. 2) I like their educational format better it seems more 21st century. 3) the cost of living is lower in Omaha, in comparistion to Chicago, but there is stilll stuff to do. Although they dont have good public transportation. 4) They have cool service programs (I was in the peace corps so this really struck me, esp since we are going into the healthcare field).

Well, Im sure I am boring you. GOod luck and since Ill probably go to Creighton...Ill see you there if that is what you choose! (My sister lives there so if you need any help with area info let me know) :thumbup:

Hi klebsiella,

Thanks for the reply. I also really liked the faculty and staff at Creighton and the building is so modern compared to UIC. I think the only thing that makes me lean towards choosing UIC is the fact that it is in Chicago where my family is and the fact that the tuition would be a lot cheaper. Is this enough to make me choose UIC? Does your sister like living in Omaha? Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
tbone616 said:
Hi klebsiella,

Thanks for the reply. I also really liked the faculty and staff at Creighton and the building is so modern compared to UIC. I think the only thing that makes me lean towards choosing UIC is the fact that it is in Chicago where my family is and the fact that the tuition would be a lot cheaper. Is this enough to make me choose UIC? Does your sister like living in Omaha? Thanks for all your help!

I agree with you about the money aspect. I was crunching numbers for tuition and was sort of depressed, but then when is anything you want cheap :) I would hate to be in your shoes having your family in Chicago. I at least have a sister in Omaha.

My sister loves omaha and I lived with her for a summer...some thoughts. Great food! Even when I come back to Chicago I crave some of the food from there (im italian so it is really all about the food :laugh: . Everything is 20mins away, cheap to live (my sister's apt is $550/mth and is 3br!), plenty to keep you busy (like we will have time while in school!! But if you are over 21 drinks are SO much cheaper than in Chicago :laugh: ) and Southwest flights to chicago are really cheap. When I interviewed I flew out of Midway for $49 each way.

I wish you all the best!

I know nothing about Creighton except for the fact it is in Nebraska, and we have been getting e-mails about taking an elective online through them.
I am a P-1 at UIC. I can imagine the out of state tuition or private pharmacy school tuition will be quite high. The UIC is not the cheapest in the world. As a full time UIC student, you will get the U-Pass, for a set fee, you will have unlimited CTA and Pace rides for the semester. UIC COP does have several service oriented clubs. UIC COP curriculum uses standard semesters. They always talk about the latest developments in the field. The first floor lecture halls and the second floor labs are scheduled to be remodeled over the next two summers.
Several bars are located near the college on Taylor Street.
If you go to Creighton, you will cows in near proximity to where you live, but if you go to UIC, you will have a cow in the lobby. :)

the tuition for creighton for next year is between 26 and 27K, which is less than out of state tuition at other schools (iowa for example).

tbone616 said:
Hi klebsiella,

If you'd like to find out some more info on omaha, check out http://www.accessomaha.com

I too was accepted into both schools, but I already sent my money into UIC, the money and location of UIC is what really convinced me.

peace

throughout this entire process, i promised myself that i wouldn't base decisions off of money. a pharmacist's salary is definitely enough to pay off loans and i would rather be somewhere i love than be somewhere cheap! if you really love a school but are apprehensive about the cost, just think about this: i have a friend whose pharmacy school loan payment is over 600 a month... with a pharmacist's salary she makes this in less than two days!

ginephre said:
throughout this entire process, i promised myself that i wouldn't base decisions off of money. a pharmacist's salary is definitely enough to pay off loans and i would rather be somewhere i love than be somewhere cheap! if you really love a school but are apprehensive about the cost, just think about this: i have a friend whose pharmacy school loan payment is over 600 a month... with a pharmacist's salary she makes this in less than two days!

I totally agree about choosing the school without money being first priority. maybe Im jaded, though, I did my undergrad at Yale.

klebsiella said:
I totally agree about choosing the school without money being first priority. maybe Im jaded, though, I did my undergrad at Yale.

yeah, you would definitely have to become numb to school costs attending an ivy league! my undergrad school was CHEAP so i wont have many loans going in, but i am prepared for a debt of 150k+ when i'm out! it really is mind boggling if you think about it, that's why i don't! :rolleyes:

I need some help deciding between the two. I actually flew to UIC for the interview and saw the place, but I never saw the Creighton University campus. So environment-wise I have nothing to base my decision on, except that Chicago has a better public transportation system and a higher cost of living. Tuition-wise, I'm out-of-state so it's still slightly cheaper at UIC unless I got into the PharmD/MBA program (anyone know how difficult it is to get into the prog for either school?). Education-wise, the rotating lecturers at UIC is not something I'm thrilled about, but the downhill passing rate of Creighton on the NAPLEX scares me. Anything else I'm missing and should be considering?

sna said:
I need some help deciding between the two. I actually flew to UIC for the interview and saw the place, but I never saw the Creighton University campus. So environment-wise I have nothing to base my decision on, except that Chicago has a better public transportation system and a higher cost of living. Tuition-wise, I'm out-of-state so it's still slightly cheaper at UIC unless I got into the PharmD/MBA program (anyone know how difficult it is to get into the prog for either school?). Education-wise, the rotating lecturers at UIC is not something I'm thrilled about, but the downhill passing rate of Creighton on the NAPLEX scares me. Anything else I'm missing and should be considering?

from what i've read on other threads and having been to creighton's campus, i would say that creighton has newer facilities - the science building just underwent a $54 million renovation. creighton gives every student a laptop, so it seems like they are very technology-oriented. if you are someone who likes community involvement, that is what creighton is all about. you can go to the dominican republic and practice in a village as one of your rotations. i think (from other threads) that uic is very clinical-oriented, and it seemed to me at creighton they place an emphasis on community but there are lots of options for clinical and research, having a hospital across the highway.

I am also deciding between Creighton and another school (Temple). I visited Omaha for a weekend around my interview and it seemed pretty quiet. Philly on the other hand seemed like a very exciting place and I had a blast when I visited . I'd like to visit Omaha again before I make my final choice. On one hand I feel like I should attend the stronger institution (creighton) that could broaden my experiences and on the other I also want to have a great time with the next four years of my life.

pharm_cat said:
I am also deciding between Creighton and another school (Temple). I visited Omaha for a weekend around my interview and it seemed pretty quiet. Philly on the other hand seemed like a very exciting place and I had a blast when I visited . I'd like to visit Omaha again before I make my final choice. On one hand I feel like I should attend the stronger institution (creighton) that could broaden my experiences and on the other I also want to have a great time with the next four years of my life.

That is a tough decision. I love Philly! Omaha is pretty quiet (I think bars close at 1am). But there are still a lot of things to do. If you are looking for a night life then Omaha probably isnt for you. Although Im not sure how much time you will have to be out kickin' it ;)

If it were me, though, I would pick the stronger institution over living in an exciting city. (but then again I grew up in big cities so the opportunity to get anywhere in the city in 20 mins is so exciting to me :laugh: )

Good luck!

sna said:
The College of Business Administration at UIC is generally very accepting of UIC Pharmacy students. They respect the reputation of UIC COP. COP will support any student interested in the combined degree programs. It just depends on whether the other college will accept you. If interested, you should contact the coordinator.
According to someone I know who is interested in the program, is that during the summers you take MBA courses and possibly some electives. You should receive your MBA by the following year after your PharmD graduation.
You get use to the team teaching approach. It is not as bad as you might think. A good number of classes only have a couple of professors.