Creighton v. Loma Linda/Kettering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainmd1883

Reaction score
All right we pulled OUWB off the list and I am left with these 2 (have to make a decision by May 1!!!) Thank you so much for your help in advance!!

Creighton (Omaha)

Pros:
- Mission fit could not be better
- Lots of global health opportunities
- Collaborative community
- Love the Omaha area
- Clinical rotations are at a good hospital system
- Faculty and administrative staff are very approachable and accessible
- Faith based, I want this embodied into my education
- Rural health opportunities ( I want to serve rural underserved and global underserved communities)
- Heavy mentorship
- Early clinical experience in M1 year
- Lots of mentoring
- Lots of preparation for rotations
- Friday quizzes and exams
- My horse is in PHX so this would allow me to have a connection there
- Matches well into the specialties I want
- I love the curriculum layout
- Laptop!

Cons:
- Moving my mom and fiance would move but both liked the area
- H/P/F for the first 2 years that honors is only the 10% of class, I know that would define me personally despite being collaborative
- THE COST 400k as of now without interest, but could reduce the cost in some ways (Fin Aid says students receive more aid in M3 + M4)
- I am not sure how supportive the clinical rotations are or how much they overwork their students
- Faith in medicine is a huge thing for me and I want to make sure that this is truly embodied, I am not sure how much is integrated

Loma Linda/Kettering

Pros
- The Christian mission matches me, I don't have a problem with their "rules" per say but I am not SDA
- P/F curriculum and no ranking
- LIFE groups
- Selectives!!
- M3 + M4 year at Kettering, I love Kettering as a health system its small in a more rural area (I want to serve rural communities) very supportive community here
- I loved the program director, she interviewed me and it was one of the best interview I had in the season
- 60k total scholarship from Kettering
- Faith is really integrated into curriculum + required chapel
- Matches into specialties I like, but really have no desire to live in CA
- M3 + M4 years are in Dayton where my fiance is from and my mom is in Ohio right now too
- My support system would not have to move
- I like the curriculum layout
- Kettering is a place I would like to do my residency even though it is Osteopathic, I just love the facility and the community there

Cons
- I would move out to CA all by myself for 2 years, my mom would not come with me (she is my best friend) and my fiance might but financially might be a stretch with planning a wedding, I have family in LA but honestly I know I would not see them. It would be hard on us all this way, but am willing to make a sacrifice if the fit is better
- Though there is a scholarship the cost of attendance is expensive in CA, San Bernadino is not the nicest area
- I love Kettering and I loved my interviewer, but I have had such a hard time with the rest of the administration, trying to get in touch with them etc.
- There was no second look day, I would repeatedly ask and no one got back to me, I tried to schedule a personal tour which had to be cancelled due to a personal emergency, but even then I wouldn't have gotten to meet students or really feel the culture of the school. I am worried this communication would flow into the medical school itself

It is hard to give up the thought of not attending LLU because it has been a school I have loved for awhile, but I also love Creighton either way this is going to be a struggle any help is appreciated you all and any other points on each is great!!

Members don't see this ad.

Creighton, less issues and a super collaborative student body and faculty. Haven’t heard good things from LLU online

Reactions: 1 user