Criminal Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How far back do we list our home addresses? I move a few times before the age of 18, so do I need to add those addresses too? Or only put my permament address that Ive been living at since 18?

Members don't see this ad.

they authorized my card for $250 before submission :sleep:
:xf:

When they ask to disclose everything, does that mean just adult records 18+????? Lets say you had a summary offense as a child, should you mention it or just focus on relaying adult info?????

Members don't see this ad :)
Juvi records are usually sealed but depending on the offense, they might have tried you as an adult? Also, it is pretty clear what they want you to disclose. Have you been convicted of an offense, the end.

So does that mean that they will only show convictions on their report or will it show everything? What about in a juvenile case that resulted in no charges or convictions but was instead classified as "probable cause"?

No, it's society's problem for being short a dentist now. If that person went to a state school, the majority of their tuition was paid for by tax payers. Get a clue before starting dental school. It is not just about money, it's about serving the community. I certainly hope you didn't talk like this on your interviews.

What's the waste?

The school still got their money for tuition. It is his problem now if he can't pay back the loans. He worked on plenty of patients while there and the school likely got paid too.

The assumption of getting nothing via alumni donation is a bit sketchy. There's no guarantee that any student will give money.

On issue of who pays for background checks. I think the school can easily afford to pay and possibly profit from liars. Just obtain one for those who already sent in their deposit. With a dozen or so forms to sign, I'm sure they can at least add in one that has you swear you've disclosed everything. If something comes up that is not disclosed and is glaring, you forfeit both your deposit and seat.

Deposits are about $1000 or so. Fork over $150, if you catch a liar, profit $750 in less a minute. (granted I'm not factoring in the cost putting aside time to interview) Only other fast money maker for them I can think of is collect application fee, then few clicks to sort via gpa/dat score and reject everyone below cut off without ever reading their app. Email rejections to save on stamp, letterhead and ink. I'm sure someone has already created such a program.

So I got an email this morning saying that another email for a background check was sent about 10 days ago, and that I haven't responded yet. I am 100% sure that I never received a previous email. I also looked at the list of schools requiring background checks, and none of the schools I was accepted at was listed. The only one I applied to, actually, that was on that list was UCSF, but I haven't heard from them since my interview.

This just seems really odd/fishy to me.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Just double checking- so if your school is not listed on the schools that require a background check, we can ignore this fishy email right? The email told me that they had sent this message to me 10 days ago but I never replied with my background check, which is BS because I never got a message like this concerning a background check. Why would they send a message like this out on a Sunday? Something doesnt seem right.

So I got an email this morning saying that another email for a background check was sent about 10 days ago, and that I haven't responded yet. I am 100% sure that I never received a previous email. I also looked at the list of schools requiring background checks, and none of the schools I was accepted at was listed. The only one I applied to, actually, that was on that list was UCSF, but I haven't heard from them since my interview.

Look like were in the same boat. Im gonna contact my school later on after finals are over before I give money to something like this.

Same here. I double-searched my email and I never got the one they said they sent 10 days ago. And the only school on that list I applied to was UCSF, but I haven't even received an interview invite yet, let alone acceptance. :confused:

The weird thing is that it seems rather legit because it's mentioned on the ADEA site but yeah, idk. I'm definitely calling tomorrow.

Same situation here, received the "10 days ago" message and the school I was accepted to isn't on the list... wish I could take this as a sign of an additional acceptance :rolleyes:. I'm going to wait it out until I can talk to someone on Monday, too poor to risk $150 for an unsure thing.

I got the same thing!! What's confusing is that UIC is not listed on the list. What the hell?? Do I still need to do the background check? It's so stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe everyone that was accepted somewhere is receiving one... since I'm sure they're beginning to realize it's their last chance to squeeze more money out of us before we matriculate!

I dont understand why this step is even neccesary. Is it just triple checking to see if you have any felony/misdemeanor convictions or is it looking waaaay deep into things that arent really relevant like parking violations and arrest history without convictions (those are the only things I can think of that wouldnt show during the aadsas and the school checks)?

Does anyone know how thorough this process is and venture a guess as to why our credit score and speeding tickets matter POST admissions? I guess thats the "fishiest" thing in my perspective.

i got this email, and none of the schools i applied to or was accepted at are on this list... i'm not shelling out extra money unless the school directly contacts me... another thing, why are we paying for our own background checks... every other institution or company i've worked for does this on their own...

How far back do we list our home addresses? I move a few times before the age of 18, so do I need to add those addresses too? Or only put my permament address that Ive been living at since 18?

I called them and they told me you should list them from the previous 10 years. So if you're 21, then list them from when you were 11.

Yeah i got this too yesterday, and none of my schools were on the list. I would think the schools would contact you directly. Is this a bad assumption?

I called certiphi and apparently they are sending out emails to everyone accepted. I also called AADSAS since my school wasnt listed on the ADEA site and they said it could be that another school who is participating made an offer. Best advice would be to call the school.

You received an email from Certiphi Screening titled: Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request. The email indicated that you had been accepted to a dental school that was participating in ADEA's Criminal Background Check Program. The email was sent in error. Our sincere apologies for any issues this may have caused. Please direct all questions to Suzi Arant (888-260-1370 ext. 2012) or Jackie Smith (888-260-1370 ext. 2436) at Certiphi Screening, Inc.

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity
to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

SECURITY WARNING: Sending email that contains private personal
information poses a security and privacy risk and we request that
you not do so.

--------------------------------------------------------

I received THIS.
The background check request was sent in error, and they mean I don't have to do it... Right?
So unsure about how to act throughout this whole process. Ugh.

You received an email from Certiphi Screening titled: Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request. The email indicated that you had been accepted to a dental school that was participating in ADEA's Criminal Background Check Program. The email was sent in error. Our sincere apologies for any issues this may have caused. Please direct all questions to Suzi Arant (888-260-1370 ext. 2012) or Jackie Smith (888-260-1370 ext. 2436) at Certiphi Screening, Inc.

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity
to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

SECURITY WARNING: Sending email that contains private personal
information poses a security and privacy risk and we request that
you not do so.

--------------------------------------------------------

I received THIS.
The background check request was sent in error, and they mean I don't have to do it... Right?
So unsure about how to act throughout this whole process. Ugh.

BOOOOOO!!! I got this email too, though I spent the money and did the check yesterday. Hopefully i can get my money back

I was charged $130.25 total and I am 100% clear. Anyone else charged this much?
Why are some people charged more than others? How does it work exactly?

I hope your school was on the list, that email people are talking about seems like a major attempt to gain extra business.

I too just saw the initial email in my spam folder and then received an official apology from Certiphi. That initial email seems pretty sketchy to begin with, considering I didn't receive an acceptance till Dec. 3rd. I hope you guys are able to get a refund immediately!.

Last edited:
I am completely clear too and got charged the full $150.00!!! Grrrrrr

they will hold 150... its not the charge. you can be charged way less.

It depends on the state/county that you live in and # of address,names etc... they charge.

the more of the above. the more queries they have to do.

Money goes for querying the databases.

Pff, charged me $83 which is bogus cause if I wanted to do a background check on myself it would only cost $7 because Wisconsin has a public search database that anyone can use. What a ripoff is all I have to say.

I got an email today morning that the request for background check email was sent to me as an error.. A few days ago, I got an email that I had not respondeded the request for ten days. Did anyone else recieve the email that it was an error?

I received an email this morning with the heading "Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request- Email sent in error".
However, I already paid the $150 last night, so i called Certiphi and they told me that they will automatically refund the charges to those who received the email by mistake. They will also permanently erase any personal information that you provided them.

$149.75

darn they found out about my PO :smuggrin:

What do we do with the results? Will they automatically send it to the schools?(which I assume it'll work that way) or do we need to release them ourselves(do we need to click anything from the website?)?

Thanks!

What do we do with the results? Will they automatically send it to the schools?(which I assume it'll work that way) or do we need to release them ourselves(do we need to click anything from the website?)?

Thanks!

bump! i wanna know the answer to this too. it said something like..it will be sent to the schools within 10 days or something..so do we just wait? or did u guys just go ahead and click "release"

bump! i wanna know the answer to this too. it said something like..it will be sent to the schools within 10 days or something..so do we just wait? or did u guys just go ahead and click "release"

I clicked release

Anyone know how long we have to fill out the certiphi criminal background check? Someone said it says 30 days in the email but mine didn't say anything..

I know $150 sucks, but wouldn't you rather have it done so you don't end up at school with a bunch of criminals?

Hehe am I the only one who had the hilarious mental image of a scared kid sitting in the desk in the middle of the room surrounded by thugs in jumpsuits holding dental instruments waiting for the lecture to start?

these background checks are pretty stupid... the cost that is... i can sign up for a comprehensive background check site and pay $99 for unlimited searches and background checks... this is all just another way to get more money... it sucks, but we can't do anything about it...

we're just the expendable pawns in this game...

Ok I have to now do this too! :mad:

How long does this take and is it strictly a criminal background check?