Criminal Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illinois2th

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I got an e-mail that because of my acceptance into at least one school that requires a background check that I need to fill out a form and approve consent. Now do we have to pay the $150 for the background check, haven't we paid enough already to get into Dental School!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, check the list of schools that require the background check (they are listed once you sign up for it). If you don't plan on going to one of those, I'm guessing you can skip it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I filled out the thing but haven't paid. It says the MAXIMUM amount is $150. I'm hoping it will cost me less since I don't have a criminal background so they won't have to do that many searches. But still... capitalism is what it is...

Hey, so I got an e-mail that because of my acceptance into at least one school that requires a background check that I need to fill out a form and approve consent. Now do we have to pay the $150 for the background check, haven't we paid enough already to get into Dental School!!!

Spending some serious bucks on mission trips OK; asking for background check money not OK.

It's pretty annoying that we have to pay for this, after all the money we dish out fir applications and then flying to these schools and staying overnight ... can't they pay for their own background checks c'mon.

Wait until you start scrutinizing the bills you will be receiving once you start ds.

ahhh! why does mine say that the maximum fee for the background check may be $250 and not $150 like everyone else's?? seriously... we should have to pay anymore!

ahhh! why does mine say that the maximum fee for the background check may be $250 and not $150 like everyone else's?? seriously... we should have to pay anymore!

sucks! :/

Last edited:

... now that's ridiculous that schools would actually make you pay for that especially when its not even standard practice for every dental school

Say you're a dental school that accepts someone who did not disclose a felony conviction. He takes up a slot in your school for 4 years, and when he tries to get his license he is denied (convicted felons cannot write prescriptions). You just wasted 4 yrs on him.

If dental schools "covered" the cost, they would just throw it back at us with a raise in tuition + interest. I think this is hardly something to complain about.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Say you're a dental school that accepts someone who did not disclose a felony conviction. He takes up a slot in your school for 4 years, and when he tries to get his license he is denied (convicted felons cannot write prescriptions). You just wasted 4 yrs on him.

If dental schools "covered" the cost, they would just throw it back at us with a raise in tuition + interest. I think this is hardly something to complain about.

What's the waste?

The school still got their money for tuition. It is his problem now if he can't pay back the loans. He worked on plenty of patients while there and the school likely got paid too.

The assumption of getting nothing via alumni donation is a bit sketchy. There's no guarantee that any student will give money.

On issue of who pays for background checks. I think the school can easily afford to pay and possibly profit from liars. Just obtain one for those who already sent in their deposit. With a dozen or so forms to sign, I'm sure they can at least add in one that has you swear you've disclosed everything. If something comes up that is not disclosed and is glaring, you forfeit both your deposit and seat.

Deposits are about $1000 or so. Fork over $150, if you catch a liar, profit $750 in less a minute. (granted I'm not factoring in the cost putting aside time to interview) Only other fast money maker for them I can think of is collect application fee, then few clicks to sort via gpa/dat score and reject everyone below cut off without ever reading their app. Email rejections to save on stamp, letterhead and ink. I'm sure someone has already created such a program.

What's the waste?

The school still got their money for tuition. It is his problem now if he can't pay back the loans. He worked on plenty of patients while there and the school likely got paid too.

The assumption of getting nothing via alumni donation is a bit sketchy. There's no guarantee that any student will give money.

On issue of who pays for background checks. I think the school can easily afford to pay and possibly profit from liars. Just obtain one for those who already sent in their deposit. With a dozen or so forms to sign, I'm sure they can at least add in one that has you swear you've disclosed everything. If something comes up that is not disclosed and is glaring, you forfeit both your deposit and seat.

Deposits are about $1000 or so. Fork over $150, if you catch a liar, profit $750 in less a minute. (granted I'm not factoring in the cost putting aside time to interview) Only other fast money maker for them I can think of is collect application fee, then few clicks to sort via gpa/dat score and reject everyone below cut off without ever reading their app. Email rejections to save on stamp, letterhead and ink. I'm sure someone has already created such a program.

I hadn't even considered the aspect of investing in alumni to receive donations in return. I hope you don't end up at a school that only views you as a long-term monetary investment.

On a similar note, I got an MIP citation a few months ago. It wasn't a felony(I don't even know if it was a misdemeanor, it was a citation and the cop didn't arrest me or anything). Anyone know if something like that would show up or if it would be enough to remove me from a class?

I hadn't even considered the aspect of investing in alumni to receive donations in return. I hope you don't end up at a school that only views you as a long-term monetary investment.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This should go without saying considering you are pursuing a career in dentistry but the long and short of it is that we, and the schools, are in this for "the advancement of oral health". A felon that can't practice due to his/her failure to disclose such information is a waste of a school's resources and a waste of a seat that could have otherwise gone to an individual capable of using the knowledge/skills gained in dental school beyond d school.

All that being said, yes, spending another $150 or $250 sucks, but is it really that big of a deal when you look at the big picture?

On a similar note, I got an MIP citation a few months ago. It wasn't a felony(I don't even know if it was a misdemeanor, it was a citation and the cop didn't arrest me or anything). Anyone know if something like that would show up or if it would be enough to remove me from a class?

No, you're good. I dunno about AADSAS, but on TMDSAS there is a question that asks if you've been convicted (or deferred adjudication, etc...) of any felonies/misdemeanors. If you had a similar question and you truthfully answered that question to the best of your abilities, you should be good. I got in some trouble when I was younger (Texas teenagers + explosives= trouble), but I explained it in my app and interview, but they didnt seem to care.

So I filled out the thing but haven't paid. It says the MAXIMUM amount is $150. I'm hoping it will cost me less since I don't have a criminal background so they won't have to do that many searches. But still... capitalism is what it is...

I know $150 sucks, but wouldn't you rather have it done so you don't end up at school with a bunch of criminals? Also, capitalism is the reason you can be a dentist and make a good living.

I just completed this info and paid for the background check!! Another $150 Arggghhhhh

Also, capitalism is the reason you can be a dentist and make a good living.

LOL I know, that was meant to be a very neutral statement.

I was just being whiny about parting with $150 (which is a lot of money for most people, one might even say it's rather classist because it's yet another barrier against underprivileged low-income candidates). Though I think you're being a little hyperbolic about "ending up in school with a bunch of criminals."

Can anyone confirm that this is not a scam?? It looks a little bit fishy to me.

Anyone know the deadline to fill out the application please? What is the minimum they will charge you?

I was being a little hyperbolic. I am actually a business major and when people complain about capitalism I can get a little fired up. Anyway glad it's taken care of. Fortunatley, I haven't had to pay for any background checks yet. Congrats on the acceptance!

LOL I know, that was meant to be a very neutral statement.

I was just being whiny about parting with $150 (which is a lot of money for most people, one might even say it's rather classist because it's yet another barrier against underprivileged low-income candidates). Though I think you're being a little hyperbolic about "ending up in school with a bunch of criminals."

How did you guys get notified that you would have to pay for the background checks?

How did you guys get notified that you would have to pay for the background checks?

They only do background checks on certain races. If you didnt get an email, I guess it's assumed that you dont have any criminal history.

Anyone know the deadline to fill out the application please? What is the minimum they will charge you?

Mine says 30 days from this email [the Certiphi email]. No idea on minimum charge.

They only do background checks on certain races. If you didnt get an email, I guess it's assumed that you dont have any criminal history.

i thought everybody had to do the background check (for those schools that want it)?

What's the waste?

If it is a state funded school the tuition dollars do not SOLELY cover the tuition. As a result, the felons tuition is also subsidized by the tax payers.

Finally, $150 is nothing. Wait until you see what you're billed for instruments that you could buy, but you must rent instead. Things you use once that cost several hundred dollars... This is only the beginning.

I'm just curious, has anyone received this email and NOT been accepted to a school? The email makes it sounds like it is an acceptance (conditional), as long as you pass the background check, but I haven't been accepted by any of my schools so far, only wait listed.

^i read on a schools website that waitlisted people have to do it to in case they're accepted later.

for previous addresses, are you all putting down addresses you had at your university?

Buffalo says they will have their Criminal Background Check done in May 2011.... Do I still need to fill this out if I am going to Buffalo?

I submitted my information for the background report and gave my credit card info on Saturday. I got the report back today and the actual charge (for me at least) was $39. So, the good news is that its probably not nearly expensive as we first expected and that it doesn't appear to be a scam. On VCU's website, they say that a background check will be conducted by Certiphi which was the name of the group that conducted it. So I don't think there's much to worry about here.

My top choice right now is Columbia, which isn't listed on the site as a school that requires the check.

I have a UCLA interview in January, which is also a top choice for me, and also not listed on the site.

So can anyone confirm whether or not I still need to do a background check through this company?

I'm almost 100% sure I will attend either Columbia or UCLA (if i get in).

I submitted my information for the background report and gave my credit card info on Saturday. I got the report back today and the actual charge (for me at least) was $39. So, the good news is that its probably not nearly expensive as we first expected and that it doesn't appear to be a scam. On VCU's website, they say that a background check will be conducted by Certiphi which was the name of the group that conducted it. So I don't think there's much to worry about here.

that's good to know :thumbup: thanks! :)

Wow, mine was really fast. I submitted up last night and it was already ready today. Mine cost $30.

why does it say that they will charge $150 before processing then if yours cost $30-$40?

why does it say that they will charge $150 before processing then if yours cost $30-$40?

I think it depends on the state(s) you're from and what the courts/police departments charge to release records. I was charged $65, so it varies. :cool:

I was charged the full $150 :(
From South Dakota and accepted at MWU-IL.

Mine was only $30. Best Part: Got the results back and I am All Clean (Jumping through another imaginary hoop, in order to get into dental school) :)

I don't think I received an e-mail because I filled out the report way back when I submitted my application.

Hmm, could anyone tell what the title of the e-mail is?

Does the e-mail start off with,

Dear X,

You have received this email because you have requested to review your background screening report at your own expense through Certiphi Screening, Inc. (a Vertical Screen® Company).

What do we do with the results? Do they automatically send it to the schools?(which I assume it'll work that way) or do we need to release them ourselves(do we need to click anything from the website?)?

THanks!