Criminal Background Checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinCoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On what depth does a school look at a background check? When i was younger (and a lot dumber) i was charge with recieveing stolen property, but the charge was reduced to a local ordence violation, peace and good order (disorderly persons).

When the schools look at my CBC, will they see the original violation, or just the amended violation?

I don't want to lie to them, i think that would be worse, but I am not sure how to explain it. How do you think this would affect my chances of acceptance? I am an overall great candidate, 3.85, +31 MCAT, community volunteer service, clinical volunteer service.

Thanks,
Justin

Members don't see this ad.

On what depth does a school look at a background check? When i was younger (and a lot dumber) i was charge with recieveing stolen property, but the charge was reduced to a local ordence violation, peace and good order (disorderly persons).

When the schools look at my CBC, will they see the original violation, or just the amended violation?

I don't want to lie to them, i think that would be worse, but I am not sure how to explain it. How do you think this would affect my chances of acceptance? I am an overall great candidate, 3.85, +31 MCAT, community volunteer service, clinical volunteer service.

Thanks,
Justin

Were you convicted? If the charge it was reduced to is still a misdemeanor, then you would need to report it on AMCAS unless it has been expunged, sealed, or dismissed. Some secondaries may ask if you have ever been charged with a crime, so you would have to answer yes even if you were not convicted.

After you submit your primary, you can run a background check on yourself for a fee using the same service that med schools use.

no, i was never convicted of the primary charge, it was amended. I think that is still a misdermeanor charge though. I just want to know how to explain it, and if it will drastically affect my chances at acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, i was never convicted of the primary charge, it was amended. I think that is still a misdermeanor charge though. I just want to know how to explain it, and if it will drastically affect my chances at acceptance.

That's still not very clear.. were you ever CONVICTED of anything?

That is really all that matters.

If yes, you were convicted, then you will have to disclose that on your AMCAS. If no, you were NOT convicted, then you won't have to disclose it on AMCAS.

Were you arrested? Sometimes secondaries will ask if you have ever been arrested, or charged with anything, so it might come up then.

And no, I doubt it will drastically affect your chances, just apply broadly.

First off, was this a juvenile offense? Juvenile records are sealed, and you are not required to disclose any of it. If you were an adult, however, I would definitely disclose it. Numerous medical schools are doing in-depth background checks, and those that do not currently do so are beginning to jump on the bandwagon. This could be a concern for you, because if they discover that you do, in fact, have a record that you did not disclose in your application, they can withdraw your acceptance. Furthermore, schools are allowed to deny you a degree if they retroactively discover any discrepancies in your application (and you do not want to pay for years of med school only to be denied in the end).

For the most part, minor offenses do NOT significantly affect your chance of admissions. Only violent offenses, felonies, and certain drug charges really kill you. As long as you are completely honest, demonstrate your increased maturity, and show no pattern of criminal behavior (i.e.: multiple offenses), you do not have much to worry about. As the charge was reduced, you might even argue that you were unaware that the goods were stolen. Just be sure to explain the circumstances clearly and emphasize the actual charge (disorder) over the original charge.

You could run a criminal background check on yourself just to check. I had a misdemeanor when I was 15, and I both consulted with a lawyer, and ran a background check on myself before deciding what to put down. I would highly suggest that you do the same if there is any doubt in your mind how you should answer the question.

First off, was this a juvenile offense?

I was 20 then, I am 28 now. There is nothing else on my record, minus a few speeding tickets.

I got the municipal records from the county clerks office, and it shows the original charge, as well as the amended charge.

Its not really that big of a deal. They were replacing street signs in my neighborhood, and left the old ones on the ground. I "thought" it would be a great idea to grab one and hang it in my room. Later that night, I got pulled over and the cop thought I looked funny and it was late so he wanted to search my car. He found the sign in the back of my car. It was total BS (the search), and the judge knew it. My roomates uncle was a lawyer, so he came with me to court and they amended it to a local ordence violation with a fine.

Not something I am proud of, but it is something that I plan on disclosing, I just don't know how to downplay it and how it would affect my overall chances.