Criminal Record and becoming a Pharmacist in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canyouhelpmeplease

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was charged with felony threats but took a plea deal and i'm off probation now and hoping it gets expunged (happened 6 & a 1/2 years ago). I also got a DUI after that but it has been taken off my record I believe (happened about 4 years ago). I'm basically in my first year of college and am wondering if I should even consider pursuing any kind of medical state license? I have a 3.75 GPA and want to transfer to UCSF but I know that to be accepted they do a background check. I believe I can possibly get it expunged by then but would it really matter? As they can probably gain access to it somehow anyways? Please let me know if I should pursue a professional license such as a Pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a job with a criminal record will be very difficult in California. There are loads and loads of new grads from which employers can choose who do not have criminal records.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that offer better job prospects, do not look on your background as strictly, and do not require you take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school only to be denied employment, or even worse, pharmacist licensure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Canyouhelpmeplease,
Don't listen to stoichiometrist. If pharmacy is your true passion, by all means pursue it. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
For everyone reading this thread, please take stoichiometrist's words with a grain of salt.

overview for stoichiometristsdn

If you look at his history on reddit, you can see for yourself that stoichiometrist does nothing but tell people to change their career paths. Sorry to expose you, but it's true....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Canyouhelpmeplease,
Don't listen to stoichiometrist. If pharmacy is your true passion, by all means pursue it. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
For everyone reading this thread, please take stoichiometrist's words with a grain of salt.

overview for stoichiometristsdn

If you look at his history on reddit, you can see for yourself that stoichiometrist does nothing but tell people to change their career paths. Sorry to expose you, but it's true....

He does have a valid argument tho; jobs in pharmacy are getting more and more rare and more students graduated with Pharm.D's are being pumped out of universities, and you'll have to take out $100k+ in loans (if you're instate, $200k would sound right for out of state). If that's a chance people are willing to take, and still want to pursue pharmacy, then I would say go right ahead and follow your passion - but strings are still attached.

Getting a job with a criminal record will be very difficult in California. There are loads and loads of new grads from which employers can choose who do not have criminal records.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that offer better job prospects, do not look on your background as strictly, and do not require you take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school only to be denied employment, or even worse, pharmacist licensure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
May I ask what your career is?

Canyouhelpmeplease,
Don't listen to stoichiometrist. If pharmacy is your true passion, by all means pursue it. Just know that you're going to be fighting an uphill battle with a criminal record in an state where employment is already terrible and getting worse each year while you're $200k+ in debt.

FTFY

Getting a job with a criminal record is difficult anywhere, not just in California. They won't even hire technicians with a criminal record and technicians don't even go near narcotics.

Also, was the DUI removed from both your criminal and driving record? My sibling was recently hired as a medical resident in a hospital. Before she started, they asked for just about everything under the sun from her-- including her driving records.

You should absolutely consult a lawyer, but if the felony threats can't be expunged, getting a job with a criminal record, especially a career in pharmacy, will be extremely difficult.

Last edited: