Criminal Record Residency/Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigdude123987

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys so im a premed but i feel as if u guys would be able to answer this question better...

Will a juvinelle drug charge show up in residency application/background checks as well as medical school hospital background checks?

From the current applications for medical school, I've learned I do not need to disclose this, and it should not show up on the Certiphi background check. However, will this be a problem down the road? I know for state licensing it will show up (hopefully its not a problem), but will it show up for residency licensing or in medical school? Will i get dismissed from medical school if they find out while I'm attending (I don't need to disclose it)..

Thanks!
 
Hey guys so im a premed but i feel as if u guys would be able to answer this question better...

Will a juvinelle drug charge show up in residency application/background checks as well as medical school hospital background checks?

From the current applications for medical school, I've learned I do not need to disclose this, and it should not show up on the Certiphi background check. However, will this be a problem down the road? I know for state licensing it will show up (hopefully its not a problem), but will it show up for residency licensing or in medical school? Will i get dismissed from medical school if they find out while I'm attending (I don't need to disclose it)..

Thanks!

You could always get your own Certiphi background check to make sure. If you get into Medical School and don't screw up (fail, get arrested, get a DUI, etc) then your past shouldn't have any influence on your behavior. Having a Juvenile Record from way back is almost nonsensical and people would probably dismiss it. You were young, you ****ed up. You're here now and haven't had any issues...why would anyone care?
 
Hey guys so im a premed but i feel as if u guys would be able to answer this question better...

Will a juvinelle drug charge show up in residency application/background checks as well as medical school hospital background checks?

From the current applications for medical school, I've learned I do not need to disclose this, and it should not show up on the Certiphi background check. However, will this be a problem down the road? I know for state licensing it will show up (hopefully its not a problem), but will it show up for residency licensing or in medical school? Will i get dismissed from medical school if they find out while I'm attending (I don't need to disclose it)..

Thanks!

If your school is like mine, it would probably be best to just go to the Dean of Students and tell him about it. Say something like, "When I was younger, I was arrested. I didn't have to report it, but I thought I should tell you about it before you find out from someone else." They're not going to kick you out for it. They'll probably be appreciative of you letting them know.

With that said, it's easy for me to tell you to let them know, because I don't have to be the one to do it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your school is like mine, it would probably be best to just go to the Dean of Students and tell him about it. Say something like, "When I was younger, I was arrested. I didn't have to report it, but I thought I should tell you about it before you find out from someone else." They're not going to kick you out for it. They'll probably be appreciative of you letting them know.

With that said, it's easy for me to tell you to let them know, because I don't have to be the one to do it.

okay cool..thanks for the responses guys..one last thing..

how does the whole residency/temporary licensing thing work? Do you apply for residency and temporary licensing at the same time or does the hospital give u a temporary license themselves? So, I'm assuming juv. records will show up though in residency background checks..or will they?
 
okay cool..thanks for the responses guys..one last thing..

how does the whole residency/temporary licensing thing work? Do you apply for residency and temporary licensing at the same time or does the hospital give u a temporary license themselves? So, I'm assuming juv. records will show up though in residency background checks..or will they?

I honestly have no idea. Sorry I can't be of more help.

There has to be someone on SDN with a juvie record that could help you out, though. If they're willing to come forward...
 
If your school is like mine, it would probably be best to just go to the Dean of Students and tell him about it. Say something like, "When I was younger, I was arrested. I didn't have to report it, but I thought I should tell you about it before you find out from someone else." They're not going to kick you out for it. They'll probably be appreciative of you letting them know.

With that said, it's easy for me to tell you to let them know, because I don't have to be the one to do it.

Uh, I'm just not sure about this and would get some more opinions from people who have been through this. If there's no chance of your Dean finding out, this approach would be a bad idea. They won't kick you out of medical school but you just don't want anything even slightly tarnishing your Dean's letter (even if the information stays in your Dean's head and no mention is ever made of it anywhere in writing).

Also

bigdude123987 said:
So, I'm assuming juv. records will show up though in residency background checks..or will they?

Aren't juvenile records sealed??
 
I have been worrying like crazy about this. I was adjudicated at the age of 15 for possession with intent to deliver (sold my "friend" 2 of my prescription adderall at school and he got sick and told on me) which was about 8 years ago. I have since not been in trouble, but fear that this may haunt me. I am in the process of expunging it, but from what I have seen it just depends on the state you are applying to, and if you have shown proper rehabilitation. Just have to be honest and hope that you aren't labeled as a criminal for something you did as a kid. For the most part, states only have problems licensing you if you have prior convictions. Most states legally separate convictions from juvenile adjudications in order for people to avoid civil disability. Just be honest on your apps, show that you aren't the same, and pray for the best.
 
Aren't juvenile records sealed??

It depends on the state. For example, I am a PA resident, and any offense committed over the age of 14 that "would have been a felony if committed as an adult" is available to the public unless personal efforts are made to expunge the charge under specific circumstances.
 
Uh, I'm just not sure about this and would get some more opinions from people who have been through this. If there's no chance of your Dean finding out, this approach would be a bad idea. They won't kick you out of medical school but you just don't want anything even slightly tarnishing your Dean's letter (even if the information stays in your Dean's head and no mention is ever made of it anywhere in writing).

Also



Aren't juvenile records sealed??

If there is a chance of your dean finding out, it's going to be a hell of a lot worse than if you told them. Believe me...I saw it happen to a guy in the class ahead of me.
 
what happened to the guy? also in my state they are sealed for a fact and only up to government/law enforcement related stuff...i was told by other people in my state that went to medical school that it will not show up on a background check...and there's no questions asking about it in the apps so im good

BUT my question is...is a residency application like a medical school application? Are there background checks the same? How does the temporary licensing/residency work? Do you apply for it or do they give it to u...

BTW: I know for licensing application just because they don't ask for it doesnt mean it wont show up
 
actually my buddy who has the charge posted this question under my name after i showed him the thread...i think he'll be fine but now he's worrying about residency applications thinking he won't be able to get into a competitive residency because of it
 
Uh, I'm just not sure about this and would get some more opinions from people who have been through this. If there's no chance of your Dean finding out, this approach would be a bad idea. They won't kick you out of medical school but you just don't want anything even slightly tarnishing your Dean's letter (even if the information stays in your Dean's head and no mention is ever made of it anywhere in writing).

Also



Aren't juvenile records sealed??

I agree with theshellyb

what happened to the guy?...

Yeah tco, what happened to him/her?
 
1) It REALLY depends on state and state medical board. As far as residency programs ERAS asks for adult felony or misdemeanor convictions, if you were never convicted as an adult you don't have to report it to ERAS or residency programs.
2) This being said, State Medical Boards are an entirely separate entity as they are government agencies. I know that Ohio says asks not just about convictions but arrests, adjudications, and even says "even if expunged". If you check none and they do their search they will see an expunged record as expunged but they will know it exists and you lied to them. Additionally, they are allowed to seek out arrests to use to create a pattern of behavior. They also ask about any Pretrial interventions or diversions such as AA, NA, or other treatment programs to avoid a conviction. Employers (residency programs) are not allowed to do this as it is considered discrimination if you were never convicted.

Biggest problem is that each state is different. I would HIGHLY suggest consulting a lawyer who specializes in your state's medical board before making any decisions.

Hope this clarifies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends if your a "baller" or a "normal student".

I know of a resident who was been in jail, (picture online and everything), got residency position no problem. Another resident had a driving misdemeanor, got denied a license repeatedly.
 
Consult with a lawyer. Many people assume that juvenile convictions don't show up on background checks. Ditto for "expunged" adult convictions. This is not true. Though this info may be shielded from "routine" checks, it is still in various data bases that can be accessed by law enforcement agencies as well as state medical boards.🙂

You may be able to get away with not disclosing such history, but then again you may not.

Disclosing adverse info that you may not have to could be detrimental to your career. Failing to disclose stuff that subsequently turns up on a background check could also be detrimental.
 
I honestly have no idea. Sorry I can't be of more help.

There has to be someone on SDN with a juvie record that could help you out, though. If they're willing to come forward...

There are threads like this in pre-allo every other week and school admins, residents, and med students who are familiar with current application protocols actually respond there. This is a pretty bad area for these kinds of questions tbh.
 
look up the license application for the states that you plan on applying to. look at the wording carefully. you dont need a lawyer to figure out if you're okay. adjudication is a broad term. were u convicted or was ure sentence differed, etc. try to get it expunged and that will help u out with 90% of states (e.g. cali is an exception and asks for expungements). not sure on the numbers for deffered sentences.most likely you can practice in a majority of states without having to divulge ure record. more research by you needs to be done, but my first thought is that you will probably be okay. dont take out massive loans before you have a good idea of your limitations.
 
You might be surprised with how much lying physicians get away with. I am not encouraging you to lie, but don't expect every physician you meet to have integrity. Many care more about saving their own @$$ than lying.
 
Asking questions to which the Board cannot find the answer can only encourage dishonesty.

What are the different types of "databases" that the government keeps records in. I mean when you pay for a background check, like I used to lookup my ex-girlfriend = ), what databases are searched? Obviously there are different types... right?

For example, what databases do expunged records not exist in? Hopefully the NSA keeps their database away from other government agencies. If not, its only a matter of time until these "databases", become partially public. I mean some Edward Snowden can run 100 background checks on people, and then publish them on an international server.

-------------

Next, what databases do State Medical Boards have access to? People just assume that they have unlimited access to everything including expunged records. What if you lie to the California Medical Board about an expunged record? How are they going to know?

----------------------

Why do medical boards bother to ask you sensitive questions such as "do you have any expunged records", if they can never know? The people who have them, and then lie about it, will be at advantage against those who are honest. ***Asking questions to which they cannot find the answer can only encourage dishonesty***
 
Last edited:
Have experience with this. Send me a pm if you want to talk more, but, in general, you have to disclose it for residency/licensing. However, states vary by law with how this might affect you (in general, shouldn't cause too many issues for most if you have a clean record other than that).