Criminal Record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Four years ago I got arrested for growing marijuana. Basically the story is that my life used to revolve around running, and when injury ended my career in 2005, my entire universe collapsed and I went on a six month pot binge. The habit became expensive and I started growing my own $hit, although I was never into selling or anything along those lines. The story of how I got caught is so embarrassing I won't even go there. Anyway, the outcome of my case was that I got my charge downgraded to a misdomeanor and was sentenced to 30 days house arrest. I have disowned that entire period in my life and I am no longer involved with drugs of any kind (don't even drink). How do you think this will go over with respect to med school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Four years ago I got arrested for growing marijuana. Basically the story is that my life used to revolve around running, and when injury ended my career in 2005, my entire universe collapsed and I went on a six month pot binge. The habit became expensive and I started growing my own $hit, although I was never into selling or anything along those lines. The story of how I got caught is so embarrassing I won't even touch it. Anyway, the outcome of my case was that I got my charge downgraded to a misdomeanor and was sentenced to 30 days house arrest. I have disowned that entire period in my life and I am no longer involved with drugs of any kind (don't even drink). How do you think this will go over with respect to med school admissions?

GH253 said:
I love the subject of medicine more than anything, but I'm not good with people and have doubts about whether I'm cut out to be a doctor. I would probably love medical school and hate treating patients. The role of a caretaker does not suit me. I don't think I'm even capable fo examing a vagina or sticking my finger in someone's rectum. I understand that there are specialties which don't require much, if any patient contact, but I question whether medicine is a good choice of a career if I'm only capable of filling those particular roles. However, one thing I think I would enjoy very much is teaching courses at a medical school... even if the pay was limited, that would be right up my alley. Thoughts?

GH253 said:
Most volunteerism is really just self-interested ass-kissing and I don't want to do it either. The expectation of voluteer work stems from the ideology that medicine is primarily a humanistic pursuit, that doctors are mere public servants and that what makes a good doctor is selfless concern for the welfare of others. All of which is responsible for the rapidly degrading quality of healthcare today.

GH253 said:
my life got badly derailed my third year of college and I ended up dropping out... I'm 26 now and am just now making plans to finish.

:eyebrow:

This whole criminalization of drugs we have here is completely absurd. You really shouldn't even have to worry about stuff like this, its quite maddening actually. But yeah, I have no real advice for you OP. It'll definitley make your road tougher, but you should still have a chance, given the rest of your app is solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have quite a good memory for posters... I couldn't even give the name of the OP, and I just read it a few minutes ago.

Probably just the lack of avatar...

He is truly zenlike.:D

This whole criminalization of drugs we have here is completely absurd. You really shouldn't even have to worry about stuff like this, its quite maddening actually. But yeah, I have no real advice for you OP. It'll definitley make your road tougher, but you should still have a chance, given the rest of your app is solid.

You're right, someone who has used and manufactured a controlled substance and now wants to hand out significantly more dangerous controlled substances is not a problem at all. In fact I don't believe anyone should be able to get a DEA number if they haven't used some illegal drug.

I don't think I'm even capable fo examing a vagina or sticking my finger in someone's rectum.

LOL.

I'm lovin' this site already.

You will have to disclose and discuss your misdemeanor conviction. Your ability to receive a DEA # after you complete your education is questionable and has been discussed on other threads. Any conviction that limits your ultimate scope of practice or perceived ethics may be used against you in the admissions process.

I think your bigger problem is that at age 26, you still can't imagine doing a rectal or pelvic exam. I am horrified by the thought of you going through rotations and seeing someone vulnerable. If you were a traditional pre-med and 19 and saying that, I could understand that it was a maturity issue ...but I was assisting rectal exams and colonoscopies at 26 w/out issue and, can't find a word to express my feelings about your attitude--disgust? disappointment? none do justice.:(

will you be able to apply for FAFSA due to the drug conviction? 200k in private loans with interest is going to really suck to pay off.

A misdomeanor drug conviction only disqualifies you from FAFSA for one year.

You're right, someone who has used and manufactured a controlled substance and now wants to hand out significantly more dangerous controlled substances is not a problem at all. In fact I don't believe anyone should be able to get a DEA number if they haven't used some illegal drug.

This is mad dumb. You made exactly zero valid points in this post.

that tends to be a problem

Medical schools will look at charge of possession and see that you have a history of illicit substances. They will then make their own connection of why you want to go into a career that has plenty of access to even better drugs and then ask why should they take a risk with you when there are 1,000 other applicants with your qualifications that don't have a record

sorry

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree maybe med schools should now start requiring some drug dealing in addition to the volunteering and research.:rofl:

Ha! I would love to interview that kid...

Interviewer: What do you do when times are difficult?
Applicant: I guess I just drop out of school and start an illicit marijuana farm.

that tends to be a problem

Medical schools will look at charge of possession and see that you have a history of illicit substances. They will then make their own connection of why you want to go into a career that has plenty of access to even better drugs and then ask why should they take a risk with you when there are 1,000 other applicants with your qualifications that don't have a record

sorry

Only useful post in the thread so far. Your contribution is appreciated.

You will have to disclose and discuss your misdemeanor conviction. Your ability to receive a DEA # after you complete your education is questionable and has been discussed on other threads. Any conviction that limits your ultimate scope of practice or perceived ethics may be used against you in the admissions process.

I think your bigger problem is that at age 26, you still can't imagine doing a rectal or pelvic exam. I am horrified by the thought of you going through rotations and seeing someone vulnerable. If you were a traditional pre-med and 19 and saying that, I could understand that it was a maturity issue ...but I was assisting rectal exams and colonoscopies at 26 w/out issue and, can't find a word to express my feelings about your attitude--disgust? disappointment? none do justice.:(

I really can't imagine a bigger problem than the drugs. There are just too many highly qualified candidates to forgive something like drugs on your record.

It's so easy for admissions to take someone else who doesn't have that past issue.

deleted

Last edited:
If you believe that a distant history of marijuana use makes someone unfit to practice medicine, then you have bought into the "war on drugs" insanity that is the ideological root of most of the actual problems associated with drugs and are simply too unsophisticated to make a good physician.

Why in the hell should I even need your "forgiveness" anyway?

I don't know if you're a pre-med or what, but I really hope you don't get in to medical school.

Get a grip. This has nothing to do with "the war on drugs."

My logic was simple: why take someone who has past issues with drugs when there are so many other good applicants without that blemish? I'm sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear, but there's a reason they do background checks.

You don't need my forgiveness, and it certainly doesn't mean you're "unfit" to practice medicine. Your application and other credentials will have to be that much better so they can justify taking you over those with similar applications.

Good luck.

Get a grip. This has nothing to do with "the war on drugs."

My logic was simple: why take someone who has past issues with drugs when there are so many other good applicants without that blemish? I'm sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear, but there's a reason they do background checks.

You don't need my forgiveness, and it certainly doesn't mean you're "unfit" to practice medicine. Your application and other credentials will have to be that much better so they can justify taking you over those with similar applications.

Good luck.

ok fair enough, my apologies... i misread you there

well look at it this way.... if medicine doesn't work out for you....you probably have a career waiting for you in street pharmaceuticals. I mean obviously you have great job experiences so maybe thats the trade for you. Sure you might get shot or stabbed but hey that way you can at least see the inside of a hospital! In fact thats probably your best bet career wise... because I highly doubt that if your patients found out about your addiction that they would trust or come back to you.

Last edited:
I doubt that a medical school will look the other way at that type of drug charge. If you have access to so many drugs as a physician, I think that you may be seen as a liability. You may have a tougher road ahead of you than most applicants, but you may have a chance if you show some reform and have an outstanding application.

This is mad dumb. You made exactly zero valid points in this post.

haha no gh253... actually for once notandrew is right on. Lay off the bong man (it makes you "mad dumb") and read his post again.

GH253, ignore most of the idiotic hypocritical comments made in this thread. The first thing you need to do is consult with an attorney and see if you can get the record expunged. If successful you will be able to legally answer no to the conviction portion of the application. If the charge remains it is not the end of the road. Briefly mention it on your application and how you have learned from it. As long as the rest of your record is clean you still have a shot. If you can smoke pot and become the president of the world, you can make it past the screening process of medical schools. Good luck!

GH253, ignore most of the idiotic hypocritical comments made in this thread. The first thing you need to do is consult with an attorney and see if you can get the record expunged. If successful you will be able to legally answer no to the conviction portion of the application. If the charge remains it is not the end of the road. Briefly mention it on your application and how you have learned from it. As long as the rest of your record is clean you still have a shot. If you can smoke pot and become the president of the world, you can make it past the screening process of medical schools. Good luck!

its not idiotic or hypocritical, there is a reason they ask for the back ground check on the applications. There is also a reason that if a physician has a substance abuse problem (drugs, alcohol ect) that they can be suspended or loose their license....Its dangerous to patients, and it is not in line with what (I would assume) the majority of the public perceives as their ideal physician.

Addiction is not a temporary state of being but is in fact a disease, perhaps the ever present temptation of prescription drugs in the medical work place might be too much for the op.

On a side note... yes you can do drugs and become the president, but ask yourself how good a job he did before you go using that in support of your position. So if you want to be an incompetent president do drugs, if you want to be an incompetent physician...do drugs. (don't go get all GOP hard core republican and hyper conservative either... he sucked... end of story)

whoa danger Will Robinson...danger... slow down there big guy... he was only the president of the U.S... thank god... the entire world would have been in F***ed

I highly doubt an admission committee would turn a blind eye to this kind of past... I would hope it would be a factor that would not allow the OP into medicine.

If drugs were the only way the OP could cope with his issue then how is he going to cope with the stress in the medical field... so the idea is that it should be ok for him to get stressed out the first time he looses a patient and then go light one up... thats not even legal in california!

my advise (better late than never) you should have sucked it up and not done drugs. its not the seventies anymore kids... drugs are bad mmkay.

basically your chance at being a doctor went up in smoke with your mary jane

Last edited:
its not idiotic or hypocritical, there is a reason they ask for the back ground check on the applications. There is also a reason that if a physician has a substance abuse problem (drugs, alcohol ect) that they can be suspended or loose their license....Its dangerous to patients, and it is not in line with what (I would assume) the majority of the public perceives as their ideal physician.

Addiction is not a temporary state of being but is in fact a disease, perhaps the ever present temptation of prescription drugs in the medical work place might be too much for the op.

On a side note... yes you can do drugs and become the president, but ask yourself how good a job he did before you go using that in support of your position. So if you want to be an incompetent president do drugs, if you want to be an incompetent physician...do drugs. (don't go get all GOP hard core republican and hyper conservative either... he sucked... end of story)

I highly doubt an admission committee would turn a blind eye to this kind of past... I would hope it would be a factor that would not allow the OP into medicine.

If drugs were the only way the OP could cope with his issue then how is he going to cope with the stress in the medical field... so the idea is that it should be ok for him to get stressed out the first time he looses a patient and then go light one up... thats not even legal in california!

my advise (better late than never) you should have sucked it up and not done drugs. its not the seventies anymore kids... drugs are bad mmkay.

basically your chance at being a doctor went up in smoke with your mary jane

He doesnt need your advice on what he should have done! He's askin for advice on what to do! Jeez!!
And who makes you the judge of that??

He doesnt need your advice on what he should have done! He's askin for advice on what to do! Jeez!!
And who makes you the judge of that??

obviously, since I have successfully acquired acceptance to medical school, i think I have some knowledge of how the process works and what they are looking for... and last i checked burned-out stoner was not on the check list.

I made my self the judge of that.

weed should be legal

a lot of things should be legal, but it isn't so...

Mr. Baylor, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. Baylor, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

you're the one that called Bush "the president of the world". I think you need to re-evaluate your point system.

you're the one that called Bush "the president of the world". I think you need to re-evaluate your point system.

I don't think he was talking about Bush, because Bush did cocaine (as did Obama). The president who only did pot was Clinton.

I just see no reason sitting here flaming someone who was looking for advice. Grow up!

I don't think he was talking about Bush, because Bush did cocaine (as did Obama). The president who only did pot was Clinton.

I would put money on it that he at least tried it... its the gate way drug after all right.

I thought I saw a documentary on it... oh wait that was that scene from the last Harold and Kumar movie.

There's a small difference here.. Clinton was a Rhodes scholar while GH253 here is a college dropout.

heh, I just did my research and found out that I was eligible to have my record vacated a year ago. guess it's a moot question now, thanks anyway guys :D

heh, I just did my research and found out that I was eligible to have my record vacated a year ago. guess it's a moot question now, thanks anyway guys :D

Many schools still require you to report any arrests you have had in the past.

Many schools still require you to report any arrests you have had in the past.

this arrangement allows me to legally state that the arrest never occurred

Hilarious. Well remember the next time they start circling your house with heat-detection cameras that you can always vacate a record. Seriously, grow up.

I didn't really feel like making a new thread to ask this question.

I received two underage drinking tickets (IE: Under 18, not 21). Story is irrelevant, I did it and got caught.

To disclose or not to disclose?

Hilarious. Well remember the next time they start circling your house with heat-detection cameras that you can always vacate a record. Seriously, grow up.

If this happens the next time, just tell them you thought you were growing hydroponic tomatoes. After all, how would you know what marijuana plant seed looks like?

If it would show up in a background report, that is its on your record, you must disclose or face the threat of acceptances being rescinded.

I am guessing I should get the records and see a lawyer, or do a background check on myself?

No. Your physically being arrested can never be reversed unless you warp space-time and decide not to grow illegal drugs. However, you may possibly get it cleared from your record and therefor would not have to report any misdemeanors.

It depends on how schools word the question. For AMCAS purposes you do not need to disclose anything that has been expunged from your record. However, the school itself may ask if you have any prior arrests (to which you would have to say "yes" and explain why). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

This OP's messages has made my day! I feel like I have hope now. My story was eerily similar, except that I used my stumbles as a reason to excuse myself from a career in law. In my convoluted reasoning, switching from law school and attorneyhood career is good enough to prove you really are sorry for what you did. I have misdemeanor(s) also, from 3.5 years ago. I'm 25 (depending on your time zone) and if you can do it from age 26, then I know I'll be able to plow myself into the right track from age 25.

Thanks for sharing your story. I can't even begin to discuss mine (even though it was less severe) but my shame is partly what drives my motivation.

Just an interesting side note:

I had a misdemeanor conviction for possession of alcohol. Boy was I glad I that I disclosed it on all of my applications when Certephi screening called me in late December to tell me that they were reporting this to the AAMC. It really gave me a piece of mind to know that:

(1) I did what was right on my application
(2) That they actually do criminal background checks
(3) That the acceptances that I had were not going anywhere since I already told those schools about my blunder

What worried me was that Certephi also found a speeding violation from when I was 16 and that was being reported -- despite the fact that it specifically says that you do not need to report this type of information. They do their home work; they take these background checks seriously.

The reason I share this is to prevent you from inadvertently leaving something off of your application that you THINK is ok. Make sure your attorney is aware of your situation and that he or she actually KNOWS what they are talking about.

-- just food for thought...

It will still come up on most background checks even if the record was expunged. It will likely be better to be forthcoming rather than having the appearance of having hidden the conviction.