Critical Care Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anradam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I just discovered "Student Doctor Forum" and am impressed.
I'm a 3rd year med student planning on doing anesthesiology and then a fellowship in critical care with TEE cerification and will, hopefully, work in a Level I trauma center. While information regarding income in general anesthesia and pain management are readily available, information regarding salaries in critical care anesthesiology is scarce. While I intend to pursue critical care no matter what the income is, I am curious. Secondly, I am wondering how what proportion of anesthesiology residents will pursue a career in critical care.

Thanks,
Adam

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know too much about the salaries, but from what I have heard they tend to make quite a bit less than general or pain management for sure. I also dont think very many residents are going to do the felowship, especially right now with salaries the way they are. Most people dont want to train for a year longer to make 150K less per year. None of the current/former residents I know are going to do/have done one.

ASA Newsletter May 2003
Recruiting Critical Care Fellows ? ?Mission Impossible??
http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2003/05_03/memtsoudis.html

Opportunities for today?s graduating anesthesiology residents appear endless, including lucrative private practice jobs, academic careers, fellowships, medical management and even locum tenens positions for the undecided and curious. Hidden among these options is the often-forgotten subspecialty of critical care medicine (CCM). Originally founded by anesthesiologists, and integral to anesthesiology departments worldwide, anesthesiologist-intensivists in the United States now border on extinction. Only 12 percent of the members of the Society of Critical Care Medicine are anesthesiologists. Despite an intensive effort by ASA and the American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists (ASCCA) to increase the profile of CCM, residents remain hesitant to enter the field. In 2001, the American Medical Association (AMA) reported fewer than 50 active fellows at 52 institutions in the United States [Table 1].1

For comparisons: (from Frieda online)
http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,2654,040,00.html
Academic year 2001
Total number of active residents/fellows in anesthesia 4,296

FREIDA Online Graduates' Career Plans Statistics
In 2001, 1218 residents or fellows completed training in Anesthesiology. Program directors knew of the plans of 741 (60.8%). Please interpret the following accordingly.

Completing training 1218
With known plans 741 (60.8%)
Pursuing more training 213 (28.7%)
Practicing in the US 345 (46.6%)
Group practice 60.3%
In same specialty 95.7%
In same state as program 50.4%
In NHSC or similar underserved area 0.3%
Academician 149 (20.1%)
Full-time 92.6%
Military 4 (0.5%)
Non-medical career/left country 18 (2.4%)
Unemployed 12 (1.6%)