Critical care fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BritAnaesthesia

Reaction score
Are there any CCM Anesthesiology programmes that people would say should be avoided? Either because of poor teaching, too much of a “workhorse” mentality rather than education mentality or because of overtly toxic personalities.

Also can those of you who’ve recently done a fellowship in CCM who can talk a bit about your average day/week? I know it’s a bit painful lifestyle wise but just wondering roughly what to expect.

Interested in people’s thoughts both re US and Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

Average schedule now in practice is
ICU Mon-Sun 7a-7p (10 weeks ICU)
OR highly variable, based on call, OR schedule, and position on the list (~30 weeks OR).

Average in fellowship was dependent upon rotation. A one year fellowship contains at least 9 months of ICU, with the remainder electives.

MICU and Neuro time was either 7a-7p or 7a- whenever I felt I could safely leave, and let the other MICU fellow cross-cover (in practice, that meant 3p-5p, but some of the Pulm guys abused the system, and would try to bail right after rounds).
STICU was 7a- when the work was done (3p? 5p?)
CVICU/SICU was 7a-5p or 5p-7a when on call (once per week overnight while in the CVICU).
The rest of the time was electives like ID, Nephro, echo, cardiology echo reading room, research, etc. For research time, I showed up to my office, did some work on a project, and went home before noon. For the medical subs, I left after new consult rounds, or earlier if the new consults weren't really ICU-relevant or really low-yield.

As to malignant programs, my data is probably out of date at this point. When applying, speak to the current fellows to get an idea of work schedule. Ask the PD for a copy of the fellow work schedule for a given month. I remember for one well-known program, based on the schedule, the even if the fellows high fived and instantly transferred signout information, they would still regularly violate work hours. Another big name still did q3 24hr call. Know that schedule may change between when you match and when you get there. I've known places where a fellow dropped before coming, and the others just had to pick up the slack, or where the program restructured and radically changed the format between match day and arrival. Go where you think you'll have the best fit with the faculty and the offered programs, and you'll probably be ok.

I did my fellowship at WashU several years ago. Great learning experience, horrible work/life balance. Not sure if anything changed, but it was worse than my surgery intern year.

As someone who has been out for awhile, I caution against doing an ICU fellowship unless you truly hate the OR. The anesthesia job market is on rocket fire while the ICU market is in the dumps. I don’t see the Intensivist market getting better- too many ER-ICU trained physicians in the pipeline.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did my fellowship at WashU several years ago. Great learning experience, horrible work/life balance. Not sure if anything changed, but it was worse than my surgery intern year.

As someone who has been out for awhile, I caution against doing an ICU fellowship unless you truly hate the OR. The anesthesia job market is on rocket fire while the ICU market is in the dumps. I don’t see the Intensivist market getting better- too many ER-ICU trained physicians in the pipeline.
Do you think it’s worth doing if you enjoy critical care from an academic point of view or do you think the lifestyle and financial impact offsets the academic interest/enjoyment? I’m trying to be realistic. My main interest is neuro-critical care which in parts of the UK is actually looked after by the neuro-anaesthesiologists but this isn’t the case in the US

Neuro-ICU are increasingly run by neurology trained Intensivist.

If you want to practice in the US- an ICU fellowship is NOT worth it in this job market

Reactions: 1 users
Neuro-ICU are increasingly run by neurology trained Intensivist.

If you want to practice in the US- an ICU fellowship is NOT worth it in this job market
Do you think this is a trend that’s likely to change or likely to remain like this for the foreseeable future? Obviously just asking your opinion, not suggesting you have a crystal ball :) and are you still doing ICU or just anesthesia?

I will add that finding a combined job outside of academics is exceedingly difficult. However, the current anesthesia market opens the interesting possibility of working just enough critical care as a W2 to qualify for health insurance (about 12 weeks, your disturb may vary), and then spending as much time as desired doing locums anesthesiology. At $350/hr, and only working 40hrs a week, that's $168k 1099 added on to the ~$200k (plus at least some benefits) W2 from the 0.5FTE critical care. Add on just a little bit of call, OT, or working even just a few more weeks, and total comp would be higher than most of the combined OR/ICU jobs that I know, while coming out ahead with regards to time off. Not too bad, but pure anesthesiology still comes out ahead right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Think about what type of practice you want in the future as well: PP or academics. I had co-fellows who took an extra year for research and are on a decent lifestyle gig for academics. If you’re doing PP the job market is there but choose your electives wisely, do MICU/neuro as those are more likely in community hospitals. I did mine at a well regarded fellowship in the anesthesia CCM community, we were the primary team for CV/neuro/SICU, no running it by other teams but the community was tight knit. Cannulated and managed ECMO…worked very hard. Don’t regret it, it’s one year, you should work hard

Think about what type of practice you want in the future as well: PP or academics. I had co-fellows who took an extra year for research and are on a decent lifestyle gig for academics. If you’re doing PP the job market is there but choose your electives wisely, do MICU/neuro as those are more likely in community hospitals. I did mine at a well regarded fellowship in the anesthesia CCM community, we were the primary team for CV/neuro/SICU, no running it by other teams but the community was tight knit. Cannulated and managed ECMO…worked very hard. Don’t regret it, it’s one year, you should work hard
Did we do the same fellowship??

Agreed. It's a year. It's long, but worth it. I don't bat my eyes at anything really.