Critical Care fellowships in the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slycaper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if it is possible for an emergency med trained resident to enter any of the military's critical care fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for the Air Force. Emergency physicians must pursue civilian training for critical care. Two spots for sponsored training were offered this year. No one was allowed to seek training with other branches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if it is possible for an emergency med trained resident to enter any of the military's critical care fellowships?
Absolutely. I worked with an Army EM physician at Landstuhl that was critical care trained. In fact, he spent most of his time as an ICU attending. He received a civilian deferment and completed his ICU fellowship at Penn State. BAMC will consider EM residents for their fellowship. However, I suspect most of those individuals will be deferred to civilian programs.

How does civilian deferment factor in towards retirement, paying back obligation or does it add to your current obligation?

What are your thoughts on finishing em residency them applying for critical care military fellowship with the thoughts of getting a civilian deferment?

Do I have the most current information, when active duty loan repayment programs top out at 120K, while the National Guard tops out at 240k? Seems odd that a reserve obligation would pay more.

How does civilian deferment factor in towards retirement, paying back obligation or does it add to your current obligation?

Straight up deferment: Nothing towards retirement or active duty obligation. Questionable towards IRR obligation.