Critical Care in CBY

Started by SEPA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SEPA

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been a little confused about critical care requirements in the CBY. According to most Prelim/TY programs I interview at, "Interns going into Anest must take 2 crit care rotations." However, what I see from the ACGME differs (below). Is the "requirement" for 2 rotations made by the prelim/ty programs? Or do they misinterpret advanced/acgme requirements? (On a similar note, I've seen a number of categorical programs require only 1 crit care rotation in the first year).
Thanks!

ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Anesthesiology (http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/portals/0/pfassets/programrequirements/040_anesthesiology_07012014.pdf)
Int.C.2.a).(4) :
"In addition, there should be rotations in critical care and emergency medicine, with at least one month, but no more than two months, devoted to each in the first 12 months of the program [CBY]."
 
You should do at least one ICU month, ideally two or more (but only two count for the residency total AFAIK). If you do just one month as an intern, you'll have an extra one to do as a resident. If you do three months, it's the same as if you did only two.

If you're already worried you'll do too much ICU as an intern, you might be in the wrong specialty. We are ICU in the OR. 😉
 
So I've been a little confused about critical care requirements in the CBY. According to most Prelim/TY programs I interview at, "Interns going into Anest must take 2 crit care rotations." However, what I see from the ACGME differs (below). Is the "requirement" for 2 rotations made by the prelim/ty programs? Or do they misinterpret advanced/acgme requirements? (On a similar note, I've seen a number of categorical programs require only 1 crit care rotation in the first year).
Thanks!

ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Anesthesiology (http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/portals/0/pfassets/programrequirements/040_anesthesiology_07012014.pdf)
Int.C.2.a).(4) :
"In addition, there should be rotations in critical care and emergency medicine, with at least one month, but no more than two months, devoted to each in the first 12 months of the program [CBY]."

If a program says you must do two months, it's a program-specific requirement. I don't think any programs are interpreting the ACGME rule, that says you can count up to two months of ICU from your CBY year, that way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should do at least one ICU month, ideally two or more (but only two count for the residency total AFAIK). If you do just one month as an intern, you'll have an extra one to do as a resident. If you do three months, it's the same as if you did only two.

If you're already worried you'll do too much ICU as an intern, you might be in the wrong specialty. We are ICU in the OR. 😉
You actually aren't allowed to do more than two months as a CBY. Many programs get around that by labelling them as surgery months when you're in the SICU/Burn unit. But per ACGME you can't do more than two.
 
You actually aren't allowed to do more than two months as a CBY. Many programs get around that by labelling them as surgery months when you're in the SICU/Burn unit. But per ACGME you can't do more than two.

Programs can do creative things with unit months. When I got my TY schedule, I had one mixed ICU month and a CCU month. I pointed out that anesthesiology interns should be in the SICU, got the anesthesiology PD to back me up, and ended up with a general ICU, SICU, and an "inpatient Cardiology" rotation (same unit, just call changed from Q3 to Q4-ish).