Critical care in Texas (austin/central texas)

Started by Hook_EM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hook_EM

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody have any experience working there or know of anyone that may be able to provide any information? The most I've gotten were a handful of groups that are primarily pulm/crit. Just wondering as I've had some difficulty finding anything. Would lvoe to know. THanks!
 
Well, you'll have to describe the job situation that are you looking for. You can call ADC and ARC, and talk to them about hiring issues. UT-Dell is hiring, call them. Seton and St. David's own a dozen-plus hospitals. Texas A&M is in Round Rock. But you know this, right? If you are in Austin, knock on doors.
 
Thanks for the insight. I've definitely applied online and made phone calls to a number of those places that you mention. Most of the time I get no response or a dead end e-mail. Either way, I'll be back in the area shortly and will be able to network in person and physically knock on some doors. I just want to get ahead of the game and Texas does not appear to be open to that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To my knowledge all of the critical care in the austin area is pulm/ccm or trauma surgeons. Not sure what ADC/ARC would have to do with critical care?
 
I mention ADC/ARC as networking options; many of their doctors are on the medical committees of every hospital around.
 
To my knowledge all of the critical care in the austin area is pulm/ccm or trauma surgeons. Not sure what ADC/ARC would have to do with critical care?

Well that's beyond disappointing. Guess we shall see when I get there. Thanks.
 
Well that's beyond disappointing. Guess we shall see when I get there. Thanks.
I took a job in Austin recently as a hospitalist and I found it really had to find anyone who would take my call let alone interview me. It took a lot of persistence, many calls and a lot of responses from people that they "have no openings.'
The market in Austin is crazy competitive but with some persistence you will probably be able to find a job in the Austin or surrounding area.
 
Thank you for the insight. I'm prepared for a competitive market but it really depends on whether the groups are able to open up their coverage model for someone not able or willing to cover pulm consults etc. but I'm willing to keep trying!
 
Austin is dominated by pulm/ccm. Have you looked in Houston? The job market is wide open for intensivists of any background. Methodist, HNI, Intensivist group, Advanced E-ICU, and USAP are all actively hiring. If you are ER by training, the market here is incredible.
 
Groups are hiring, in all specialties. But for every opening, there are fifty applicants, literally. IM outpatient groups have patient waits of months. There is work, get in the door, build a reputation, then look for a better fit down the road.
 
Austin is dominated by pulm/ccm. Have you looked in Houston? The job market is wide open for intensivists of any background. Methodist, HNI, Intensivist group, Advanced E-ICU, and USAP are all actively hiring. If you are ER by training, the market here is incredible.

Yeah, I've started to actually look in Houston and San Antonio. I know there's a huge need, but there's not a huge need for me to go to Houston (ie I don't like it much..). But I'm willing to check it out. And see what's available. And yes, I'm EM trained and definitely aware of the lucrative opportunities in Houston (and most of Texas) for that as well which is pretty exciting. I'm definitely gonna try to exhaust my options for Austin first all the while looking in outlying cities for opportunities. Thanks for the input.


Groups are hiring, in all specialties. But for every opening, there are fifty applicants, literally. IM outpatient groups have patient waits of months. There is work, get in the door, build a reputation, then look for a better fit down the road.

Yeah, I definitely want to try to network and get my foot in the door, but again, I think it may depend on the coverage model.. if all groups tend to cover pulmonary consults and patients, then I may be out of luck. And as I stated above, I'm EM trained, so it may be a little different angle of networking. But thank you for the encouragement; not giving up.