Critical Care Medicine Fellowship (UK trained anesthesiologist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BritAnaesthesia

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm currently a UK-based anaesthesia (anesthesia) resident. Just wondering what the job market is like in US/Canada for a brit anaesthetist after doing a CCM fellowship in US or Canada? We do a fair amount of ICU cover during our anaesthesia training in the UK including some cardiac and neuro ICU as well as general ICU. The total residency is 7 years with anything from 9 months to 1.5 years worth of ICU experience within that. Is this enough to get into a CCM fellowship in North America? Is it possible to get a mixed job of ICU and anaesthesia afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I'm currently a UK-based anaesthesia (anesthesia) resident. Just wondering what the job market is like in US/Canada for a brit anaesthetist after doing a CCM fellowship in US or Canada? We do a fair amount of ICU cover during our anaesthesia training in the UK including some cardiac and neuro ICU as well as general ICU. The total residency is 7 years with anything from 9 months to 1.5 years worth of ICU experience within that. Is this enough to get into a CCM fellowship in North America? Is it possible to get a mixed job of ICU and anaesthesia afterwards?

If you are able to get a visa to work there are plenty of opportunities. I'm assuming your credentials for medical school and residency would be recognized over here? Ideally for the visa, h1b for USA. J1 is less desirable.

Most folks I've met that do ICU after fellowship in the US with a foreign residency are limited to a few centers. You need your hospital to apply for a waiver for you and you end up limited with that place to work.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Look at the University of Washington in Seattle. There's a fair number of UK docs working there.