Critical care pharmacists practicing outside critical care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

John Detter

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am finishing out my PGY2 in critical care over the next couple months and have started looking a jobs. I am geographically limited, so I'm trying to be flexible and am looking at different options.

I just wanted to see how many critical care trained pharmacists are working outside an ICU or emergency medicine environment. How does your position compare to a "traditional" CC or EM position? Pros/cons?

Thanks!
 
It would be a real shame to have put in the sacrifice for a PGY2 and not utilize it. Why are you geographically limited? Could you possibly leave the area for a short while to get the job you trained for, then move back in a year or two if something opens up? That's the reality of the market unfortunately.

As for me, I worked in peds critical care (mostly PICU, some NICU and oncology + central staffing) for about 2.5 years before I took my current job in informatics. It was very different from what I did before. The stress level is very low, but it was a difficult transition when you are wired to be constantly doing something. I'd say my quality of life has improved, but I miss a lot about my old job. I also feel like I'm forgetting a lot of my clinical skills even though I still do 20 hours/month at another hospital.
 
It would be a real shame to have put in the sacrifice for a PGY2 and not utilize it. Why are you geographically limited? Could you possibly leave the area for a short while to get the job you trained for, then move back in a year or two if something opens up? That's the reality of the market unfortunately.

As for me, I worked in peds critical care (mostly PICU, some NICU and oncology + central staffing) for about 2.5 years before I took my current job in informatics. It was very different from what I did before. The stress level is very low, but it was a difficult transition when you are wired to be constantly doing something. I'd say my quality of life has improved, but I miss a lot about my old job. I also feel like I'm forgetting a lot of my clinical skills even though I still do 20 hours/month at another hospital.

I'm geographically limited due to some personal and family commitments. I'm mainly asking to see if there are jobs that I haven't thought of that would still allow me to utilize some of the knowledge from my critical care training outside a purely clinical environment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Critical care BCCCP 2017 next april and i need advice .I have 2016 accp PDF. looking for either cases study or high yield for any i need help or trade materials if any body wants.
 
One of my friends is a medial liaison person for a drug company and works from home. She completed a critical care residency along with me. She's also banking the $$$ compared to a CC pharmacist


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I'm geographically limited due to some personal and family commitments. I'm mainly asking to see if there are jobs that I haven't thought of that would still allow me to utilize some of the knowledge from my critical care training outside a purely clinical environment.

Everyone always says that but I have learned from experience that those commitments are easily broken.
 
A lot to me is >250k for 40hr week and would not want to travel more than once per month. Does it meet that?

My MSL friends make 2/3 of that and travel minimum once per week.

One is based out of Seattle and covers the entire west coast.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Lol can't give a ballpark?

I don't remember the specifics because it also involved bonuses and a company car. Plus it's significantly more than a CC pharmacist makes is all I remember. I'm not in the pharmacy field very much anymore and not looking for a pharmacist job so I remember thinking wow that's a lot but don't remember the exact numbers or ballpark.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Are you looking for pure clinical specialist positions? If you're ok with hybrid/unit-based models, you should be able to get an ER position, in my opinion.

You should apply broadly- when I was doing this years ago, I interviewed for more non-CC positions than CC jobs. Outside of CC, emergency medicine positions are the next obvious extension, but don't count yourself out of pediatric critical care, internal medicine/ cardiology, and ID/stewardship positions (IF you're not in a flooded market, just bc there are a lot of ID PGY2's now)

Though honestly, if you were trained in CC, you're most likely going to find IM and ID/stewardship stuff too slow paced and boring- but at the end of the day a job is a job. Weigh out your options and take whatever position you can get, but always keep an eye out for your dream job