Critical Care Reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know how reimbursement works in CC, more particularly between med or surg trained and cc fellowship'd verse em trained and cc fellowship? I would guess that reimbursement would be less for us (in the surgical case) we can't take the patient to the or to fix whatever's wrong, and (in the case of medicine) insurance companies may recognize us em people as non boarded in cc and therefore pay less.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know how reimbursement works in CC, more particularly between med or surg trained and cc fellowship'd verse em trained and cc fellowship? I would guess that reimbursement would be less for us (in the surgical case) we can't take the patient to the or to fix whatever's wrong, and (in the case of medicine) insurance companies may recognize us em people as non boarded in cc and therefore pay less.

Critical care is reimbursed on a fairly simple time formula by medicare. You bill by the hour. Any physician can bill it and there is no change in reimbursement depending on the doc. (I bill CC all the time as a moonlighter and haven't finished a residency.)

In my experience, CC ICU presence is generally subsidized by the hospital as well.